McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I had moolah for some of those saws, don't have it, and won't for a couple years yet.

If you have the time and are willing to take a gamble, keep your eye on Craig's List. I've come across two PM850's for $50 - one in NC yesterday. My two best saws came off CL - $100 and $125. You have to be fast and size the saw and the Seller up over the phone, and you'll have to sweet talk the Seller into shipping, taking out of state payment, etc. but it can be done - add another $35 for this. Parts, Bars and Chains add up really fast, which is the main reason I started looking for whole saws.

Whatever you do have fun with it. Ron

BTW I think the 600 series look both tough and cool. Those double spikes really set it off IMO.

If you have the time and are willing to take a gamble, keep your eye on Craig's List. I've come across two PM850's for $50 - one in NC yesterday. My two best saws came off CL - $100 and $125. You have to be fast and size the saw and the Seller up over the phone, and you'll have to sweet talk the Seller into shipping, taking out of state payment, etc. but it can be done - add another $35 for this. Parts, Bars and Chains add up really fast, which is the main reason I started looking for whole saws.

Whatever you do have fun with it. Ron

BTW I think the 600 series look both tough and cool. Those double spikes really set it off IMO.

Yeah... except I don't hear that well over the phone... If you land another big mac, let me know, and I'll even pay a small finder's fee, if you want.

I like the spikes too, they added a lot of character, and it looks much more like a true McCulloch.

PM610 - don't believe everything you read on e-bay, the 600 Series saws were pretty popular and populous so there are lots of parts including NOS spike kits floating around out there. I'm not putting you down at all, just making you aware that searching will turn up as many as you need and for less than $20 a set.

The same parts also work on PM700 and some other 10 Series saws as well.

One kind fellow in WI traded me three old saws (late model 250, 1-71, and D-36) plus a dozen or more old chains for one of those spikes to fit his PM700. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

By the way, the tree service guy I bought my SP124, 450, 1-71, 840, and PM6 from still has a PM650 with a 48" bar they used to replace the 840. He said it was not as fast as the 840 but was so much easier to work with. It is no longer a regular use saw but he was quite impressed with it. Now they use a bunch of Stihl saws but fondly remember the noisey, gutsy McCullochs.

Mark

Last edited:
Yeah... except I don't hear that well over the phone... If you land another big mac, let me know, and I'll even pay a small finder's fee, if you want.

I like the spikes too, they added a lot of character, and it looks much more like a true McCulloch.

I'll make you a proposal: I'll box up and send you a disassembled PM850 and a new set of rings (maybe without a fuel tank as I can't remember at the moment whether or not I bought a replacement; the bottom had corroded out of the original, And maybe without a chainbrake on the clutch cover; once again I don't remember for sure if I have an extra cover with a chain brake). You put it together and post pictures of your build and I'll send you a used bar and chain. No charge. No postage. Just PM your address. I'll post pictures of what I'm sending and then I'll put it in the mail to you. No other strings attached. You can keep it, use it or sell it. You'll likely need fuel lines, carb kit and sealant. Maybe another AS member can hook you up with some seals if it needs them or if they think you should replace them anyway.

Sorry guys, but this offer is for promac610 only.

Ron

PS I just checked. I have a PM800 tank, with carb and pulse line; you can keep the green oiler knob or swap it with the old knob for looks. I also located a 1010 cover with a chain brake which you can use as is.

Last edited:
I'll make you a proposal: I'll box up and send you a disassembled PM850 and a new set of rings (maybe without a fuel tank as I can't remember at the moment whether or not I bought a replacement; the bottom had corroded out of the original, And maybe without a chainbrake on the clutch cover; once again I don't remember for sure if I have an extra cover with a chain brake). You put it together and post pictures of your build and I'll send you a used bar and chain. No charge. No postage. Just PM your address. I'll post pictures of what I'm sending and then I'll put it in the mail to you. No other strings attached. You can keep it, use it or sell it. You'll likely need fuel lines, carb kit and sealant. Maybe another AS member can hook you up with some seals if it needs them or if they think you should replace them anyway.

Ron

PS I just checked. I have a PM800 tank, with carb and pulse line; you can keep the green oiler knob or swap it with the old knob for looks. I also located a 1010 cover with a chain brake which you can use as is.

WAY TO GO RWOODS!!!:cheers:

Ron

Wow, that's very kind of you sir. I'll do it! :) Thank you very much, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside now. :) I'm up for a little challenge! :) pm sent...

You made my day! :biggrinbounce2:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Last edited:
Pro Mac 850 Project

attachment.php

Promac610 has taken the challenge. He’ll need some help and a couple of parts I didn’t have: Grommet - Frame Brace #93032 and Insert - Handle grip #89320

I am sending new rings and a new air filter; everything else is used. The side cover is off a 10-10 thus the wide gap in the grill.

I couldn't get the IPL to upload; maybe someone can help get this to promac610

Thanks, Ron

McCulloch Mac 610 or 910? cant remember but whats a good price on one of these all its needs is a clutch and is it worth getting. its at a local FD in my area dont want to rip them off. I dont know anything about these saws. Thanks

McCulloch Mac 610 or 910? cant remember but whats a good price on one of these all its needs is a clutch and is it worth getting. its at a local FD in my area dont want to rip them off. I dont know anything about these saws. Thanks

Hey Boss,
Sounds like a 610.
I use eBay as a (BAD) judge of price.
Keeping in mind sometimes things bring insane prices!
But it is a good medium for prices.

I don't know if you have been reading your own threads promac610 , but it don't look like your willing to pay anything for a saw. ROFL

It really depends... if my parents say no, then I can't buy whatever it is that I wanna buy. I'm guessing some of you guys have an idea of what I deal with... I still say 120 bucks for a PM610 is too much, come on, for 125 bucks, I could get an SP80 from a guy around here. Still is too rich for my parents to see me piss that much money at once... heck, the biggest purchase I've ever made so far is 650 bucks on my Hobart Handler 140 Mig welder, with a bunch of parts and a couple of spools of wire. I will be picking up plenty of saws, don't worry,... :) CAD is just starting... :) (got to get a job, ya know... not very easy... :bang:)

Latest posts

Back