McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! It will probably be a while before I start the build. I don't like to start anything like that without having all the parts I need first. I have been making a parts list so far. Probably won't do any powder coating, but it will get some nice new yellow enamel. How rare are the 1-76 saws? How hard is it going to be to find a piston assembley? This one has a really nice front handle that is covered all the way around. The pics don't show it well, but the handle is in great shape.

Acres says bore is 1.625", which is kind of an odd bore for the big Macs. My disc drive is down so I can't look at the McBob IPL's, but I sense help from Iowa is close!

John

McCulloch 1-76

I think Acres site has some errors on the 1-76. The McCulloch piston/ring guide says 2.157" bore on the piston, rings are part number 48978.

Piston and rings are the same for the Mac 2, 7, 8, 9, and Mac 30 kart engines. Pistons show 59582 with thrust washers, 53728 with out thrust washers. These are all thin ring versions.

The thick ring version shows 58878 for the piston, 58881 for the rings.

Mac 40, 45, 90, and 91 are all the same bore but a different part number for the rings.

Based on the way my 1-85 runs, I would love to have a 1-75 and 1-76.

Mark

Thanks! This is a pic of my latest build in case you didn't see it. SP81 with fresh piston and rings and electronic coil.
IMG_20110202_200958.jpg

:msp_drool:
Please stop this madness!! ...or not:msp_tongue:

Should I buy a Pro Mac 55 for 50 bucks? Seller claims it has spark, but won't run even though he rebuilt the carb. Pics in my thread on the 850, if you want to see how it looks.

Did some searching today, and it looks like all the 10 series use the same crank. So the only thing I have to locate is a muffler for the 7-10, may have found rings on ebay, and I have a crank that will work. Looking forward to getting this one done:), want to see how it compares to my 044.

Did some searching today, and it looks like all the 10 series use the same crank. So the only thing I have to locate is a muffler for the 7-10, may have found rings on ebay, and I have a crank that will work. Looking forward to getting this one done:), want to see how it compares to my 044.

I'm not sure about that: 10-10 through the 700 = 1.375" 80, 81E, 850, 800, etc = 1.5" Ron

PM610 - The PM55/555 are pretty nice saws but have an odd bore (1.812") so there aren't quite as many pistons/rings floating around out there in old mac parts land.

Brian - I see a couple of different part numbers listed for the 7-10, 63336 and 87699. Curious that the newer IPL shows the older number and vice versa. I have to wonder if the parts are in fact interchangeable but have different numbers due to some subtle differences.

Mark

I wont know for absolute sure until I try to swap them. I was using a parts lookup directory, and it showed the crank being used for a lot of the 10 series saws. But when I looked up the crank it showed was used in 7-10, 10-10, 6-10, and more.

I'm not sure about that: 10-10 through the 700 = 1.375" 80, 81E, 850, 800, etc = 1.5" Ron

In the broadest sense, the 10 Series covers a very wide range of saws, from the 1-10 all the way through the Double Eagle 80 and PM4300/8200 etc.

I think Brian is correct in saying all the -10 saws have the same stroke, even though the part numbers get changed around.

More McConfusion.

Mark

PM610 - The PM55/555 are pretty nice saws but have an odd bore (1.812") so there aren't quite as many pistons/rings floating around out there in old mac parts land.

Brian - I see a couple of different part numbers listed for the 7-10, 63336 and 87699. Curious that the newer IPL shows the older number and vice versa. I have to wonder if the parts are in fact interchangeable but have different numbers due to some subtle differences.

Mark

Forgot compression might be the problem... is it possible to make it a "sleeper" saw by putting a different p/c on it?

Stinkbait put a 7-10 in a 10-10 dress, I guarantee that will be the strongest "54 cc" saw around.

My 7-10 will out cut my 036 Stihl in a head to head race and the 036 is a pretty fast saw in it's own right.

Mark

:D Sweet. Will have to look at the saw and find out what's wrong with it. :)

Should I buy a Pro Mac 55 for 50 bucks? Seller claims it has spark, but won't run even though he rebuilt the carb. Pics in my thread on the 850, if you want to see how it looks.

Try putting a teaspoon full of fuel mix into the carburetor and see if it runs for a few seconds. If it does it probably either needs a fuel line or the carburetor re-rebuilt.

Try putting a teaspoon full of fuel mix into the carburetor and see if it runs for a few seconds. If it does it probably either needs a fuel line or the carburetor re-rebuilt.

You said it. I have a spray bottle of fresh saw mix that I keep handy for working on saws. When I go to look at old 'ran last time I used it 10 years ago' saws, I bring that bottle with me. Between removing the muffler cover and peeking in the exhaust port and the 'spritz and pull' test, I can learn a lot about a potential purchase in a few minutes...:cheers:

You said it. I have a spray bottle of fresh saw mix that I keep handy for working on saws. When I go to look at old 'ran last time I used it 10 years ago' saws, I bring that bottle with me. Between removing the muffler cover and peeking in the exhaust port and the 'spritz and pull' test, I can learn a lot about a potential purchase in a few minutes...:cheers:

I think mine is an old mustard or catsup squeeze bottle. On a saw that hasn't ran for a long time and is completely out of fuel, it saves a lot of yanking on the pull start. It saves wear and tear on the starter assy also.

Back