McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sam, you have an excellent start on the Yellow Fever, nothing like leapfrogging up the food chain.
When you figure out what carb you need, someone will have some old dead thing to pawn off on you.

I need some help ASAP. How do I get the piston into the cylinder... I do not have any special saw size ring clamps. :angry: I really would apreciate a quick solution so I can get it together before the rtv dries...

Does anyone have any interest in a d36 "gift saw?"

A fella here has all the parts for it, and the saw turns over and is mostly complete.

I will send you the powerhead for the cost of shipping.

Will need cleaning, pinion gear, throttle lever and linkage, top cover and air filter element, and a muffler stack at least.

A member here already has the parts ready to go for a very reasonable cost.

I just feel like I'll never get to it and be able to do it right.

If you can take care of this saw and get it back in order like it should be it's yours for the cost of shipping.

Chris

Cut the sides off of a beer can, and wrap that around the piston and rings, then transfer the compressed rings into the cylinder.

before I do anything stupid...

Here we have:
On the Left: Donor jug from estemed member with a rather large displacement - has piston.
On the Right: 640 jug with scored cylinder - has all good fins.

There is quite a bit more metal on the donor part's manifold, including two gussets. are there any cautions in boring out the 640 part to match the other piston in terms of deforming with the added power?

heroze-albums765-174985.jpg

If that works out, there is one more detail with the bearing. Same left/right setup. The 640 jug appears to have some kind of gasket on the bearing housing, whereas the donor one appears to be an integral part. I am considering enlarging the housing on the 640 part to accomodate the larger bearing, which I assume is needed due to increased power.

heroze-albums765-174986.jpg

thoughts? ~vic

The gussets are for the reeds to bounce off.

i wonder why they are different, the 640 has reeds too. it would probably help for me to have the ipl for something that used these gusset-like supports.

but if I'm hearing you right, that extra material isn't there to particularly strengthen the assembly, which is good.

Tried the pop can thing, it will not work. Not enough room for a zip tie. I tried just about every trick in the book and it still won't go together. :angry: I knew things were going too well. :bang:

Tried the pop can thing, it will not work. Not enough room for a zip tie. I tried just about every trick in the book and it still won't go together. :angry: I knew things were going too well. :bang:

I think there must be an art to it as others seem to have no problem with this. I had a terrible time putting rings in a PM570 but I kept trimming and whittling on a split caulk tube and they finally slid in place. Just keep at it is all the advice I can give. Ron

I think there must be an art to it as others seem to have no problem with this. I had a terrible time putting rings in a PM570 but I kept trimming and whittling on a split caulk tube and they finally slid in place. Just keep at it is all the advice I can give. Ron

That sounds like it would work. Trimming it so it matches the angle of the chamfer on the bottom of the cylinder. Will see what I can do tomorrow. Yeah, they all make it sound easy. It isn't on a blind cylinder... it is on a cylinder with a removable head, especially like a car engine. It seems this task is made even harder by the bottom "extension" part that is the flange.

Most of the Macs I have worked on have a slight bevel to aid the rings sliding in. What I do is I get it started real slow and watch/feel where it starts to hang and use the a pic with the 90* bend to gently push the ring in. I am real careful not to have anything sharp contact the ring or piston. This method has worked real well so far, for me. If you rush it though there is potential for damage.

Sp105

Just "won" an SP105 on eBay - it only cost me a PM850 and a PM570 or a net loss of 2 cubes (5.0 + 3.5 - 6.5). Can I quit now or is there another MAC that needs me? I may have to thin the 5 cube herd further when the dust settles.

I hope the 105 is a good saw. The video of the saw was nice but it makes me a little nervous that he didn't put it in the wood nor did he use the DSP on the restart. I guess it wouldn't be as much fun if there was no risk.

Ron

Latest posts

Back