McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do have a couple of Stihl saws that I use from time to time, my 036 is lighter and vibrates less than the 7-10 but I enjoy running the McCulloch more.

Same for the 066 vs. 1-72, but again the sound and excitement of the McCulloch makes it more fun to run. Since I am not in the business of production, I often can take a little more time to enjoy what I am doing.

When it comes time to get out the SP105 or SP125 nothing even compares.

Mark

I do have a couple of Stihl saws that I use from time to time, my 036 is lighter and vibrates less than the 7-10 but I enjoy running the McCulloch more.

Same for the 066 vs. 1-72, but again the sound and excitement of the McCulloch makes it more fun to run. Since I am not in the business of production, I often can take a little more time to enjoy what I am doing.

When it comes time to get out the SP105 or SP125 nothing even compares.

Mark

I agree, I would rather run my older saws.
Seems to be much more fun.
But Mark, how can you not enjoy your Super 797

Lee

I have only used the SUper 797 on a couple of jobs so far, and I just replaced the skip chain with a full comp so I expect it will be a bit smoother the next time out. I have been messing with the carburetor adjustments a bit as well, seems it was running extremely rich and the H & L needles as well as the idle speed adjustment are loose so they work themselves out when it's running. I may have to take the carburetor apart and replace the o-rings to the adjustments stay put.

Since I have two SP105's and two SP125's I will probably use them more just because I have more spares if I need them.

Mark

Havnt run a Sp125 yet, but the 797 sure does put a smile on your face. Got a lot of wood to play with, planning bringing out that and the Super 250 and run a few tanks through them when I get the 890 sorted out. Got it to stop leaking fuel out of the carb throat, but now its not pumping. Just going to keep fooling with it until another carb comes up.

SugarPine1.jpg

scan0001.jpg

I recently got back some back. A few years ago little Ray and I were preparing to scan in a bunch, like 200 photos. We had them all laid out, that night we had a hurricane, a window blew in, bringing in a ton of water. I sent the whole mess, negatives and all, to a friend who ran a photo lab in Nevada, who was going to try to restore them. He was doing it in his spare time as a favor, his lab blew up and burned. I got a handful back. The Super 16 film is completely destroyed, it had some chaotic falling on it.

I recently got back some back. A few years ago little Ray and I were preparing to scan in a bunch, like 200 photos. We had them all laid out, that night we had a hurricane, a window blew in, bringing in a ton of water. I sent the whole mess, negatives and all, to a friend who ran a photo lab in Nevada, who was going to try to restore them. He was doing it in his spare time as a favor, his lab blew up and burned. I got a handful back. The Super 16 film is completely destroyed, it had some chaotic falling on it.

Sad to hear that. At least you have a few left over. Thanks for sharing them as well, I love seeing those pics.

It loved Pine, didn't matter how big.

Picture015-1.jpg

Mark, that was a highly calculated fall, I used a block-cut with a snipe, it did exactly what I wanted it to do.

Unlike this one, which came apart before I was done cutting.

spiders003.jpg

Cool pic Randy.
Its to bad about the loss of your old pics.
I had a bunch of old pics that I got from my Dad.
Most of them were from his land clearing and tree removing business back
in Michigan, 1940's. One of my brothers wanted to show his friend the pics.
He left them at the guys house and never got them back. The guy lost them or they
got throne out.

I do know how you feel, my evil stepmom, destroyed lots of old family photos. I have only two pics of my Father.
That movin' pitcher film had some crazy stuff of my bro and I mowing through some nice Fir. We were both sawing on the same trees. I still have clear memories, putting them into readable words.

It is the SDC, the McCulloch Carburetor book says it is the SDC19 but I can't confirm that right now. According to the IPL's my Super 797 is a later model, earlier models had a Tillotson HL.

Mark

Thats a good carb set up Mark.
But the H & L screws don't have "O" rings.
Just the springs to hold tension so they don't
move.

Lee

Duke T!
That Sugar Pine was considered large for that area, which was in the Sierra Nevadas, north of Lake Tahoe, about 6000' elevation. My log book says, depending how you read my writing, it was 55" or 58" diameter. The was another Sugar up the hill was was at least another foot bigger. While I lusted after it, I talked the owner into saving it, as it was a prime example of the species and deserved to live, I hope it is still there.

Hey guys here's my 1-76 finished off with a nice NOS 31" Mac bar from Mark H.

Gotta love it

[video]http://s873.photobucket.com/albums/ab294/Thieroff1/?action=view&current=b1cdfcd2.mp4[/video]

This is a link to a VIDEO, by the way.

Last edited:
Hey guys here's my 1-76 finished off with a nice NOS 31" Mac bar from Mark H.

Gotta love it

[video]http://s873.photobucket.com/albums/ab294/Thieroff1/?action=view&current=b1cdfcd2.mp4[/video]

I wish I had some bigger wood to test in, but I do not, that video was taken at my neighbors place, he's got some locust that needed bucked up, but I've bucked nearly all of it. Finally got the B/C mounted on it today, did a little fiddling with the carb.

I'd rather be cutting wood than lighting of fireworks on the 4th.

Chris

Duke T!
That Sugar Pine was considered large for that area, which was in the Sierra Nevadas, north of Lake Tahoe, about 6000' elevation. My log book says, depending how you read my writing, it was 55" or 58" diameter. The was another Sugar up the hill was was at least another foot bigger. While I lusted after it, I talked the owner into saving it, as it was a prime example of the species and deserved to live, I hope it is still there.

Log book, in more ways than one, I assume.

There are some hardwoods around here that get to be that size. Sycamore is very common to get that size, atleast in girth. Some of the largest trees in the east are Sycamore. Little to no commericial value.

Up on the hill from me there are a few oaks that have to be 4.5-5 feet base diameter, although not very tall they are quite large trees.

I am sure you have taken much largers specimens in your day.

Was the tree used for lumber, or was it just a removal?

Chris

Latest posts

Back