McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe you will find that clutch cover will fit anything from a 1-40 through the 550, with a little work it will fit the SP105/125 as well. Basically it fits all of the large frame left hand start saws.

Many of the early saws used a screw with an oversize head to fit a round "slot" in the bar for the chain tensioner, this was located on the body of the saw.

Later ones use the adjuster in the clutch cover as you show in the photo, but most older bars would accept either.

If you look through the IPL's the part number may change, but the parts are interchangable.

Mark

Last edited:
1-72 ipl

I just scanned an original McCulloch 1-72 IPL from 1961 today. If anyone needs a copy, just PM me.:cheers:

Hey Griz... that clutch cover looks like it would fit the 250 I just got... mine has a crack...

...actually a chunk missin' out of it.

Gary

If you want it, it's yours. I'm going to keep the bucking spike though (my 1-70 doesn't have one). Send over your address and I'll clean it up and send it on it's way. If anybody wants the tophandle Mac shoot me an offer and it's yours.

JJ, You think there would be any advantage to running
a 2100 Homie carb on a 797. HL273 is the number and
it has a 1 inch bore. Much bigger than the Mac. on a smaller
cc motor.
Fuel inlet is not quite in the right spot and the throttle is on
the wrong side but i think it could be made to work.

Lee

JJ, You think there would be any advantage to running
a 2100 Homie carb on a 797. HL273 is the number and
it has a 1 inch bore. Much bigger than the Mac. on a smaller
cc motor.
Fuel inlet is not quite in the right spot and the throttle is on
the wrong side but i think it could be made to work.

Lee

I sure am not JJ, but you should be able install a replacement 797 throttle shaft & fuel inlet on the Homie carb. I would think that there is a good possibility that the original shaft could have some significant wear from rotating back and forth thousands of times. Open the throttle about half way and see how much "wiggle" you can get out of the shaft. It is amazing how much tighter a new throttle shaft is, and much less air leakage too. You can re-use the original "shutter" but be sure to use a new shutter-mounting screw when you put it back together. Jet sizing? Throttle return spring? Oh Jacob!

Hope every one has a great Thanksgiving and remember what the holiday is all about. :cheers:

Vince

I sure am not JJ, but you should be able install a replacement 797 throttle shaft & fuel inlet on the Homie carb. I would think that there is a good possibility that the original shaft could have some significant wear from rotating back and forth thousands of times. Open the throttle about half way and see how much "wiggle" you can get out of the shaft. It is amazing how much tighter a new throttle shaft is, and much less air leakage too. You can re-use the original "shutter" but be sure to use a new shutter-mounting screw when you put it back together. Jet sizing? Throttle return spring? Oh Jacob!

Hope every one has a great Thanksgiving and remember what the holiday is all about. :cheers:

Vince

Vince- you covered it! ;)

Jet size should be fine, since as Lee said, this carb is coming off a larger displacement motor to begin with. Throttle return spring shouldn't be an issue and a lot of those on the Tillotson HLs are generic and will fit a wide range of applications. If Lee is anything like I am, he has a few plastic tubs full of misc. carb parts. I sort mine in old salsa tubs that you can see through. I've got sorted out by brand and series of carb.

A big fat bird, smothered in gravy, punkin' pie, and FOOTBALL!

Gary

In my house, I'm the big, fat bird covered in gravy...

Actually the HL273 off the Homelite is the bigger carb
off a smaller displacement 115cc's and the smaller Mac carb was on the large displacement 123cc's.
I'm just wondering if you guys think there might be any benefit to running the HL273 on the Mac. I wonder if the 797 would see any more power or should i stick with the smaller HL19 and 63. I might try the 273 just for kicks and see what it doe's.

Lee

I haven't posted any new photo's lately, but thanks to Belgian I have something to show off.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Roland was thinning his herd and thought this 105 would be more comfortable amongst some good friends. I promise this one will be among friends large and small.

I promise to add some new shots when I get it cleaned up a little bit and add an appropriate bar and 4 tooth spikes, maybe even dual spikes.

I have a 24" hard nose bar with the yellow and black McCulloch logo that should complete the ensemble.

Mark

Last edited:
And in the background of the 105, the 640 that came by way of e-Bay. The flywheel cover and bar clamp/adjuster are in the parts washer waiting to get cleaned up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Look carefully at the bar, notice "solid welded tip"

attachment.php

But look, someone has added a roller nose to this one. You don't find that kind of effort so much these days.

attachment.php

Mark

Need help from the Mac gurus

I am trying to get the crank out of an old Mac carcass I brought home from the scrapyard. Not sure the model, d-44 I think. I have all the bolts out, and don't know how to get the crank out. Do I just need to press it out? Any advice is appreciated.

McCulloch44crank.jpg

Do you have all the side cover bolts out?
If so you should be able to tap the crank
through the case with a soft hammer.

Lee

Thats it! I guess I was just being too wimpy the first time I tried it. I don't know what model this is for sure, but it looked nearly identical to my super 44that I got from a friend. The super 44 looks to be in very good condition but the crank was destroyed by the clutch coming loose. I just got my McC IPL cd from ozflea today. Wow, what a treasure trove! The D-44, Super 44, and Super 44A all show a different part number for the crank. I'll just have to hope for the best.
Thanks for the help. :bowdown:

Just completed the PM 700, new fuel line, fuel filter, clutch cover, sawdust screen, handle insert, cleaned carb and she is up and running. The PM 10-10 is near perfect condition, carb needed cleaning, fuel line, fuel filter and the auto oiler needed some attention.

I'm working on a 2-10 right now, waiting on a carb kit and some other stuff. Will see if it comes back to life.

IMG_2115.jpg

Just completed the PM 700, new fuel line, fuel filter, clutch cover, sawdust screen, handle insert, cleaned carb and she is up and running. The PM 10-10 is near perfect condition, carb needed cleaning, fuel line, fuel filter and the auto oiler needed some attention.

I'm working on a 2-10 right now, waiting on a carb kit and some other stuff. Will see if it comes back to life.

Nice looking machines! Glad to hear that they're back in the work force.:clap:

Back