McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got home today, wife was gone for a family reunion so I decided to spend a little time in the shop. I will get some photo's up this week I promise...

In the big parts haul earlier this year was a nice Oregon roller nose bar, I ordered three loops of chain from Baileys and now have my SP125 ready for the vintage races in Baraboo next weekend (over 5 In³ class).

I looked into the date of manufacturing of the SP81 (1973-77) and see they also qualify for the vintage contest so I set one up with a 20" bar and chain for the 5 In³/under direct drive.

I sharpened the chain on the 77 so I'm set for the gear drive class...

Of course I'll take the BP-1 along for the novelty factor, as well as a group of other vintage saws just for something to talk about.

If all goes will I will get the 640 with the bow bar cleaned up and ready as well. I am thinking of the 440, 640 with the modified McCulloch roller nose, 640 bow, 795, 895, and the Target cut off for a good mix.

Mark

I got home today, wife was gone for a family reunion so I decided to spend a little time in the shop. I will get some photo's up this week I promise...

In the big parts haul earlier this year was a nice Oregon roller nose bar, I ordered three loops of chain from Baileys and now have my SP125 ready for the vintage races in Baraboo next weekend (over 5 In³ class).

I looked into the date of manufacturing of the SP81 (1973-77) and see they also qualify for the vintage contest so I set one up with a 20" bar and chain for the 5 In³/under direct drive.

Of course I'll take the BP-1 along for the novelty factor, as well as a group of other vintage saws just for something to talk about.

If all goes will I will get the 640 with the bow bar cleaned up and ready as well. I am thinking of the 440, 640 with the modified McCulloch roller nose, 640 bow, 795, 895, and the Target cut off for a good mix.

Mark

I am REALLY looking forward to see the videos...............especially footage of you running that 77 again. 120cc of gear drive McPower running a 5/8" pitch chain.:cheers:

Mark

Why don't you run your Super 797 instead of the SP125.
The 797 should have more snot. If running correctly.

Lee

Too bad I live a lot closer. :msp_smile:

I was supposed to pick it up on Friday but was late to the GTG, so told them I'd get it Monday morning. Unless of course you get there first. :msp_thumbsup:

The owner gave me a call today and I ended up meeting him at his business. SUPER nice guy. It hadn't been run in a few years he said and he couldn't get it started. He bought it new. I brought some fresh gas, plug, plug wrench and a compression tester with. It had spark and 150+psi compression. I dumped the old gas out and put some fresh stuff in and also put some in the plug hole to prime it but it pretty much started right up after that. I offered him $100 and he took it. I just got in from playing with it and fine tuning it. The thing looks like it was hardly used....hardly even scratched on the bottom! For whatever reason, they painted the bar black....lol What did these go for new back in the late 90's (assuming that's when it was bought)?

I'm done now....I've got more chainsaws that I need.....3 Husky's, 2 McCullochs and an XL. Anymore and my GF will insist I go on medication for OCD..lol

The owner gave me a call today and I ended up meeting him at his business. SUPER nice guy. It hadn't been run in a few years he said and he couldn't get it started. He bought it new. I brought some fresh gas, plug, plug wrench and a compression tester with. It had spark and 150+psi compression. I dumped the old gas out and put some fresh stuff in and also put some in the plug hole to prime it but it pretty much started right up after that. I offered him $100 and he took it. I just got in from playing with it and fine tuning it. The thing looks like it was hardly used....hardly even scratched on the bottom! For whatever reason, they painted the bar black....lol What did these go for new back in the late 90's (assuming that's when it was bought)?

I'm done now....I've got more chainsaws that I need.....3 Husky's, 2 McCullochs and an XL. Anymore and my GF will insist I go on medication for OCD..lol

Give it a year....:D

You're just gettin' started. There's 30-some odd in here and I'm a "rookie" depending on whom you ask, LOL!

At 22years of age, I lost count at 100.. And there is no cure, I had done so good for a long time. And then outta know where a Farmsaw, P50 cutoff, SP125C, and a special365special in about a week and a half..

You will see that you may be able to hold the numbers down but you will be looking for trades soon...we can tell from your car addiction, CAD will have you watching CL and going on parts runs at odd hours of the day. :laugh:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
nope. your not done.;)

lot's of preserver on this one. and it has a chain guard on it.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Bad @$$ mo-sheen, best left clean, but unrestored. Let its bark tell the story of a life dropping the giants to all who come to listen. Save me a seat in the front row...

You know there was a 10-10 in Lake Delton in as good of shape he was asking $95?

Thanks for saving me $100! :clap:

Some sweet saws Fraser. Very nice.
I like the 73's but that short bar makes
it look rediculas.

I got your message, Thanks for trying.

Lee

I agree Lee. That's a REALLY clean looking 73..........................but a 120cc gear drive with a 15" bar is just plain silly. That saw will run a 7' bar without breaking a sweat.

Back