McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know, asking for an opinion around here is a little dangerous...however...I need some information about a couple of old Macs. I have an opportunity to pick up a 300 and some kind of 10-10. The owner described the 300 as "Big, heavy, and all there." He said it was running when he put it away 15 years ago. He also mentioned some sort of 10-10 but wasn't real specific. It was also supposed to be a runner when he put it up 15 years ago.

Any opinions on value of either one, assuming they are complete and not locked up? Are there specific models of Macs to look for? I usually just buy a saw to use, but am starting to get a little CAD itch...

TIA,

dd

Everyone who messes with chainsaws ought to have at least one 10-10. They're cheap, parts are cheap and they cut wood like the newer saws. I can't remember how many 10-10 saws I have but I know I own 2 10-10S saws.

A strong 300 is a fun saw to run but certainly is heavy for what it does. Would be fun to use occasionally but I wouldn't want to swing one around all day. If you need a 24" bar from time to time the 300 would be a good fit.

A good running 10-10 is a saw I could swing around all day and you could make a pile of wood while you are at it.

Mark

Thanks for the opinions. That gives me a place to start when I look at them.

dd

If you're new at this I would check compression and spark unless you want to tear the saw down to start with. You wouldn't have any idea how many times people have told me "it ran the last time I used it" or "it used to run". I would give it a good inspection anyway.

If you're new at this I would check compression and spark unless you want to tear the saw down to start with. You wouldn't have any idea how many times people have told me "it ran the last time I used it" or "it used to run". I would give it a good inspection anyway.

I've been messing with saws long enough to translate "It ran great when I put it up" into "It ran before my brother-in-law straight gassed it and dropped that tree on it."

Marc rehabbed a pair of Homelite 330's a while ago. A 10-10S (or even a regular 10-10) in good condition will steal a Homelite 330's lunch money every time....:D

Don't get me wrong, I like Homelites, but I had a 360, I have a 10-10S(actually, a 10-10SE).

I don't get it. :confused:

Don't feel lonely. Ron

Digger is my 9 (almost 10) year old son (his real name is Mason) who also has CAD. His first project was a Homelite 330 donated by a local saw shop. This spurred a whole thread as well as several free saws shipped to Digger from a number of members here. He did most of the work himself and has since repaired several more, earning a little pocket cash since he got the saws for free and I supplied the tools and parts.

When we put his 330 in wood and he compared it to other saws I had explain one of the reasons it cut a little slower was the safety chain. He promptly decided safety chain should be outlawed and all chain should be "danger" chain.

The first time he saw a Mini-Mac he said "That one is just the right size for me!" After we tore it down to replace the fuel lines and other minor repairs he decided it was not the right size for him after all. He actually wanted to "adjust" it with a 3 pound shop hammer at one point. Those little devils are frustrating... He has now decided a Stihl MS 170 with the EZ start set up would be about right for him.

My youngest son Max (7 years old) has also caught the fever and has a couple of Homilite XLs. I need a bigger basement. And a shop. And another job to pay for all of it.

Havin' flashbacks here ...

... and it is mostly returning.

I remember the thread where your son fixed the saw. But didn't remember that it was a 330.

Now it's making perfect sense ...

:chainsaw:

I love the smell of fresh cut evergreen, what is not so great is the taste. A little friendly reminder to keep your mouth shut when cutting above your head no matter how much you want to smile. This is also proof that the 10 series is not that heavy, I cut a few rounds off that tree to keep it back from the road and never felt the weight of the saw. That saw is my 82cc McCulloch CP70L.'
[video=youtube;vq2-tAVLX7g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq2-tAVLX7g[/video]
Photo0553.jpg

Mac 300 anyone?

100_1216.jpg

100_1214.jpg

100_1215.jpg

Was this worth $20? It seems to have compression but I haven't checked spark. I figured at $20 someone would need parts off of it and I could recover the cost.

Back