McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim, you did good! :cheers: We don't get many decent vintage saws around here. You can't snooze if you find a CL ad for a saw that nice. I used pay pal one time to pay for some saws in advance so they would not get sold out from under me.

I was just thinking that the Old Timer who sold the saw is probably really happy it ended up in the hands of a guy who appreciates & will take care of it. It would be nice to talk with the original owner to find out the history behind the saw. That is always very interesting to me & part of the enjoyment. The fellow obviously took great care of his saw. I'd bet that he may even have the original owner's manual & tools that came with it tucked away some where. Be really neat if he had the original receipt. Makes that saw worth even more to a collector.

Last edited:
Just picked up this 1-60 gear drive from a guy on craigslist. He said he was selling it for an elderly man who took good care of it and didn't use it much. By the condition that sounds accurate. I measured 145 psi compression. It starts and runs good. He must have kept the chain sharp as well, I noodled a crotch I had laying around and it cut nice and straight. I'm pretty tickled about it, don't seem to find a lot of vintage saws around here. Of course, without pics it didn't happen, so here ya go.
160right.jpg

160left.jpg

Looks like a real nice saw you found. They are hard to find in that
nice of shape too. Congrats.:cheers::cheers:

Pro Mac 10-10S

Here are several pictures of a Pro Mac 10-10S I picked up today. Owner said it only cut one load of wood, after looking at the bar that must have been one hell of a truck!

Mac10-10S008.jpg

Mac10-10S009.jpg

Mac10-10S010.jpg

Hey guys, ready to swap out the bent output shaft on my 1-82 tomorrow. I have a complete shaft with good bearings and gear, so this should be an easy open/shut switch out. Only questions I have are how to get the sprocket off and what's the torque for closing up the case? Near as I figure, I can mount the bar and chain and use that as a shaft stop to get the sprocket nut off. Any thoughts?

Sometimes the sprockets will come right off, other times you have to work pretty diligently to get them pried off. I have found that you can used the heads of two of the screws holding the cover/retainer in place as fulcrums for a couple of screw driver to get the sprocket off. I just use my little butterfly impact wrench to get the nut off and back on again.

I am not sure that the torque spec for the case screws is so critical, just make sure the case haves are nice and flat to get a good seal. In fact, don't get too strong on those fasteners as they are just 10-24 and the case has been around a while so the threads may not be all that strong anymore.

On a couple that wanted to leak a little I used some silicone to make sure it would seal up properly, no more problems.

Mark

Recently while crusing e-Bay if found this 3/4 wrap handle bar kit for the 10 Series. The note on the package says 1-10, 2-10, 3-10, and 5-10G. I didn't have time to try it out on any of my saws yet, I really have to decide which one is worthy.

Sorry, but I can't seem to imbed the photo's, this computer doesn't do anything when I click on the "Insert Image" icon.

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=138126&stc=1&d=1274587396

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=138127&stc=1&d=1274587396

Mark

Marc Heimann will remember this project saw. It's a cut off saw based on a Mac 7-10 engine...he took it apart when he was visiting me in Belgium the other day. It had low compression and needed a new piston. It took me about a month to find a decent parts saw, but finally scored a well used SP70, but it still had very good comp. So after a few hours work, this cut off saw is back among the living. It runs very well but it puts out some decibels for sure. You need to run a Mac sometimes to remember how loud these are :help:

7-10cutoffasmall.jpg

7-10cutooffbsmall.jpg

Hey guys, ready to swap out the bent output shaft on my 1-82 tomorrow. I have a complete shaft with good bearings and gear, so this should be an easy open/shut switch out. Only questions I have are how to get the sprocket off and what's the torque for closing up the case? Near as I figure, I can mount the bar and chain and use that as a shaft stop to get the sprocket nut off. Any thoughts?

No, the nut is not connected to the sprocket. You'll have to stop the crankshaft.

Back