McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted thank publicly Mod Mark for the info he sent and Randy Mac for those great brochure pics, I wish my dad was still around be worked for Mc Culloch 1963-1976 as an engineer I bet he could provide some cool info now if he was still around. He told me his favorite saw was the one he brought home (and never gave back) his 1976 SP81....thanks guys

7-10 gas leak

I recently acquired a early model 7-10A and it seams to leak fuel underneath the tank and through the muffler? how hard would it be to take the tank off and would I need to get any new gaskets? Otherwise the saw runs awesome on 50-1 mix. Maybe a carb kit would do it. I'm thinking the needle seat is worn, but the saw seams to run fine.

I have a fella asking me about Double Eagle 80 Parts. . . I looked at the picture of one on Acres. Will the rear handle/tank from a 10-10 work on a switcheroo?

Thanks.

I think that the intake portion of the tank/handle assemblies are different because the double eagle 80 has an intake boot and av mounts. I don't think that it will work at all.

Wow... that don't look nothin' like my 640... mine has the sprocket on the "inside" and has no cover on it either though.

Gary

Well I got the saw today, and all is original. Very low serial number.
I've the impression that with a little work, the sprocket can be switched over easily to the inner side. Seems to be a different setup only.

will post pics soon after I cleaned it up.

ScannedImage-3-1.jpg

I think that the intake portion of the tank/handle assemblies are different because the double eagle 80 has an intake boot and av mounts. I don't think that it will work at all.

Thanks bro. . . That's what I thought too, but it never hurts to ask. :cheers:

not so sure, it looks pretty original to me... just curious if there's a sprocket cover missing or not.

attachment.php

Great find Roland, glad to see you found a big gear drive saw. I think all of the gear drive saws were made so the bar can be switched left or right, left is better balanced but right is better for flush cutting.

There is a guard that covers the sprocket/chain sort of. I will see if I can find the flat layout I have used to make a guard for the inside bar position, certainly you could put one together for the right mount bar as well.

I know I have one saw in the shop with the right mount bar and factory guard, I'll try to get a photo this week and post so you can see what it looks like.

Mark

attachment.php

attachment.php

hey heimannm,
i see everything in your sig but a PM 605...think i'm gonna sell it, interested? or know anyone who might be??

My long term goal is one of every one man saw from 1948 through 1978 or so ending with the SP models, the 600 Series were later models and not on my wish list at this moment.

I do have a 610 that will likely be going home with my older son one of these days since he wants to have a saw available. They have a lot in common; fat, slow, loud, plenty of torque, and quite dependable.

Try the classified ads or swap meet if you want it to go to a good AS home.

Mark

My long term goal is one of every one man saw from 1948 through 1978 or so ending with the SP models, the 600 Series were later models and not on my wish list at this moment.

I do have a 610 that will likely be going home with my older son one of these days since he wants to have a saw available. They have a lot in common; fat, slow, loud, plenty of torque, and quite dependable.

Mark

Hey that could be my son your talking about, all except the first and last parts LOL.

Really though I love learning new things and I never thought about switching those bars from one side to the other on a gear drive.

Learn something new everyday!

Mark

from the looks of things, you'll probably make it. i don't really collect them, i use them. and this one is, as you so eloquently put, "fat, slow, loud, plenty of torque, quite dependable", andmanually oiled....not unlike myself. but i digress... it was great for years, but just don't use it since the MS270. i'll try the ads. thanks
Dale

Hey Roland, one more thing...I see an odd cover on the end of the output shaft opposite the drive sprocket. Is that a dual position shaft with a keyway on each end, or does it appear to be threaded?

My 840 has gear drive oil pump running off the output shaft (i.e. threaded shaft), my David Bradley has a sort of dual output shaft to make switching the bar from side to side easier.

Mark

Hey Roland, one more thing...I see an odd cover on the end of the output shaft opposite the drive sprocket. Is that a dual position shaft with a keyway on each end, or does it appear to be threaded?

My 840 has gear drive oil pump running off the output shaft (i.e. threaded shaft), my David Bradley has a sort of dual output shaft to make switching the bar from side to side easier.

Mark

Hey Mark,

good to see you made it home safely for Christmas. The setup on my 640 is identical to the pics you posted, and the bar indeed can be switched to either side of the gear box. I'll remove the odd cover to see what the shaft looks like. Right now, I had to clean her good because she was covered in real old gunk, bet she hasn't run for twenty years or so. I have a good spark but she won't fire, so I'll have to check timing.
I planned on doing it today, but am stuck with sciatic problems in my left leg and lower back following some renewed back problems.....:censored:
Hope it's nothing serious.
Will report later.

Latest posts

Back