McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just to proove Vince that Belgian is still alive and kicking (sometimes, LOL), I prepared the 640 today. She's a real oldie and had some minor scars (muffler repair, carb check, points cleaning and resetting, spike needed fix, some new bolts, etc) but now she's purring again. It had a 1/2" sprocket so I was lucky to have a 35A spare 20" bar and chain available...

640e.jpg

640g.jpg

the serial number is 000098 (seems to be one of the first 100 made..)

ID.jpg

a closer look at the gear assy

gearassy.jpg

the reverse spindle is threaded..

insidespindle.jpg

just for Vince...:givebeer:

The only thing missing is the plastic grill at the air intake, but tant no biggie.
nice addition to the collection.

Last edited:
Roland, That cover over the original starter looks very factory, I would like to find one or two one day just to complete my assortment. The other end of the output shaft is indeed set up for the automatic oiler, as you can see on my 840 pictured below.

attachment.php

The 640 I got recently also has the automatic oiler set up. As you can see, this one is still right hand start. Mine has the McCulloch carburetor with primer, seems to work O.K. at times but much easier to start the first time with a little shot of pime down the throat.

attachment.php

I'm hoping to spend a few days at home the next couple of weeks and get the 640 cleaned up and fully operational, hopefully after that I can get the good 660 cleaned up as well, that will complete my 640/650/660 Series saws.

If things really work out well, like another blizzard that keeps me hope a few days, I would like to get the Super 250's finished up and listed with the runners.

Mark

. Mine has the McCulloch carburetor with primer, seems to work O.K. at times but much easier to start the first time with a little shot of pime down the throat.

I am pretty convinced that the starter cover is indeed original (casted).

After setting the points, it fired up immediately with some manual priming down the throat. I pulled a few times afterwards using the carb primer only, but didn't succeed. The manual injection seems to work best on them Mac carbs !!!

:agree2:

I took some photo's tonight of the chain guard on the right side mounted bar. This is on a 55 that needs a lot of help. Low priority saw for me right now as I have one nice running 55.

Here is the stock guard on the saw, and the standard left mount guard shown for comparison. The left mount an original, the one shown on the 1-85 in the earlier post is one I made up from parts they burned for me at work on the Whitney plasma cutter.

attachment.php

attachment.php

And here is the left mount guard shown in more or less the correct position for a left mounted bar/chain.

attachment.php

Mark

..................I do have a 610 that will likely be going home with my older son one of these days since he wants to have a saw available. They have a lot in common; fat, slow, loud, plenty of torque, and quite dependable...............
Mark

You think that might be a little disrespectful towards your son ?

Jeff stopped by the office today to pick up a couple of 3L35belts for the starter/generator on the Roper garden tractor - snow blower I gave him. Thought I would share the last few posts with him; his only comment was to the effect that Bill doesn't know him very well.

Oh yeah, he may decide to go after the whole 600 series for his private collection. Too bad Hangtown is so far from Iowa, we might have been able to do something...

Mark

Jeff stopped by the office today to pick up a couple of 3L35belts for the starter/generator on the Roper garden tractor - snow blower I gave him. Thought I would share the last few posts with him; his only comment was to the effect that Bill doesn't know him very well.

Oh yeah, he may decide to go after the whole 600 series for his private collection. Too bad Hangtown is so far from Iowa, we might have been able to do something...

Mark

Hello Mark,

You are completely right I do not know Jeff. I still believe calling your son fat, loud, and slow seems disrespectful. That is my opinion and like the expression goes well have them. Your view is different. That is great. The ability to have different views is what makes democracy superior

Bill

Hello Mark,

You are completely right I do not know Jeff. I still believe calling your son fat, loud, and slow seems disrespectful. That is my opinion and like the expression goes well have them. Your view is different. That is great. The ability to have different views is what makes democracy superior

Bill

Bill G,
Dude, lighten up a little! :cheers: Apparently, all families don't joke around like this. I 'm sure Mark intended no insult whatsoever toward his son. Many people have fun and joke around like this. His lack of mean intent is evidenced by the fact that he is perfectly willing to show his son the comments. And by his sons response to it. If your family never joked around like this I can see where his comments would be quite shocking.

Mark, I hope your son is easy going, I sure wouldn't want to see him angry at me. :) It's amazing to see how big that saw looks even in his big mitts.

Personally,I think the SOB that enigneered that thing should have his butt whooped. Way to much BS to get to a carb.

I have had a few of them, and have gave them away with the instructions that I never want to see them again.

In fact the fellow that got the Macs from that I posted earlier in this thread tried to get me to take two of them from him for free. I told him I wanted no part of them and he laughed and said "I don't blame you".

Just my take on em, if you like them then great.

Amen brother!

I was a school teacher at one time as well so I know how sensitve they conditioned to be regarding names and comments.

Fortunately I have not taught school for many years and so can feel free to express myself more openly these days.

Just after Jeff graduated from high school (a dozen years ago or so) I thought I should make sure he knew who was in charge...after having my face planted in the grass and eating a few handfulls as well I understood fully.

Mark

Jeff giving the SP125 a little work out the day after Thanksgiving.

attachment.php

PM 650 Clutch

Got a new clutch drum and rim for Christmas (thanks to the wife)! I have the nut off but how does the clutch rotor come off? Is it threaded on or do I need to pull/pry it off?

It looks like it needs to be pulled off of a taper on the IPL I have but want to make sure.

Last edited:
Bill G,
Dude, lighten up a little! ............QUOTE]

I am not a Dude. PERIOD

As for "ligthen up a little" I am pretty easy going. As I said we all have opionins and that is what makes demoracy superior.

Bill

How about a "dood",or "dewd",or"deud",or"duud".

OH yea, try lightening up there Francis.:monkey:

Mark

hey, i'll see what it costs to ship it and we can go from there if you like...Iowa's not THAT far from here, and the post office is offering some "if it fit's, it ships" deals too. i'm not looking to get rich, especially if it's going into someones collection. lemme know.

oh yeah....what is a dude??

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back