McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's about all that's stamped on the bottom of my Super 250. Less stampings than any other old McCulloch on my shelves by far. Seems to be common with the Supers for some reason.

TeddyScout (Matt) has some decent Super 250 videos on his youtube channel. I linked to them in my post in ModifiedMark's "One of my favorite sounding saws" thread. There's several 'regular' 250 videos on youtube. To me, the Supers sound much 'meaner' than the 'regular' 250s. They accelerate much more rapidly, and wind much highter. Much more top end 'bark'.

I have a 250 and a Super 250, but the 'regular' needs a carb kit and the Super needs a re-ring at the least. It'll be a few months before I can shoot some vids of those for comparison. I also have a 300 on the way (an 87cc saw in this family with 'standard' porting) that I want to compare with the 87cc Super. The 'standard' 250 is 'only' 80cc, so it's not a straight comparison with the Super............but the 300 will be.:D

895 Anyone?

I know heimannm has a lot of McCulloch Chain Saws, as well as myself, I was wondering if anybody else has a few McCullochs in their collection of Chain Saws, and are they for work, or for display. Thanks for your input. Bruce.

I searched this thread and found no info on the 895.

You mean to tell me that no one here has one of these beasts? I find that hard to believe. (Maybe this saw is more rare of a find than I originally thought.)

I found these two links on You Tube from "The Chainsaw Guy":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oli1H1bSo5E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9ec4evBH40&NR=1

He states that the 895 was the preferred saw in the Pacific NorthWest in its day, or did he mean that McCullochs in general were the preferred tool?:greenchainsaw:

Anyway, can someone tell me where I might find more info on this baby! I have one that looks to be in very nice shape. I have not tried to fire it up as I'd like to go through it first to be sure I don't hurt anything in trying to start it up "blind".

The guy I got it from about 15 years ago (that's right, it's been in mothballs for 15 years) said he fired it right up on a hand prime, but did not put any fuel in the tank to try to run it for any length of time, for the same reason that I don't want to run it before going through it. Believe it or not, I bought it from him on a whim for $50.00! What a deal that was! For once I actually got lucky!

I have the IPLs for all versions and year ranges that this model was offered, so I'm basically looking for someone who has experience with one, and where I might be able to find any parts I may need. For sure I need a carb kit, some gaskets, an air filter, fuel lines, etc., and a sprocket washer (missing), but I guess I'm going to have to find some identification marks on the carb in order to get the correct carb kit for it, based upon what I've seen here, elsewhere on the forum.

I'm also not sure how to correctly measure bar length: from the felling spikes or the housing, or the total bar length end-to-end. The non-sprocket bar that is on it measures about 37" from the spikes to the tip. Everything I've read says 40 some-odd inches was the largest bar, but the "Chainsaw Guy" mentioned in the video that this saw would handle up to a 60" bar - Whew! I can't imagine swinging something that big single-handedly, as with the 36" bar it has now, it's a heavy monster. More power to the guys who actually used these saws back in the day to make a living. Now that's where the term "Lumber Jack" must have come from! You gotta have lots of respect for these American Heros - Lord know, I certainly do!

I'd like to get here running just for the fun of buzzing through a large log here and there to appreciate this things brute power, and then maybe as a future project to mount 'er up in a saw mill to actually do something productive with it.

Can anyone here share some wisdom?

Heck of a score on the 895. I have the direct drive twin 795. If you have the "faultback" carb you need a Sugar Creek Supply kit. If it has the Tillotson HL, get the RK-88HL kit. For fuel lines, call up Discount Marine in Bark River, MI. Air filters are easy to get, ebay or where ever.

You got yourself a great saw Professorgt.
I have a few of the 890 and 895 series saws.
There 103cc's of monster torque. They come
in 2 different geardrive ratio's 2-1 and 3-1.
I have seen them with the Mcculloch flatback
carb and also the tillotson HL carb. Most 895's
i have seen also have the DSP compression
release for easier starting. They can handle 60"
bars and maybe longer. They are not that rare,
You see them pop up on ebay or craigslist from
time to time.
You measure the bar length from the case or the
felling dog. These saws usually run 1/2" or 9/16
chain. Some have converted over to 404 chain
because of availability.

Lee

Last edited:
Here's some Pics

Thanks cpr.

Here's a link to a previous post over on the ********** forum, in fact that's how I found this site.:clap:

http://www.**********/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/62605/

895 Info

Leeha,

Yes mine does have the compression release, but I'm thinking that it's froze up because it makes no difference when pulling the cord as to what you do with the compression release. No matter what it has excellent compression that kicks back at you pretty good when pulling the cord slowly.

The spark plug looks brand new, and I really need to identify exactly what it is, as it doesn't match up to anyting listed in the ipls I have. I probalby should just buy a new plug of the recommended type to be safe. :hmm3grin2orange:

Years ago, I didn't know it but I had an incorrect plug in a Honda engine I bought from a guy who had just overhauled the engine. It started and ran fine, but in short order it burned the piston, so I had to start over with the rebuild! :cry:A good lesson in proper spark plug heat range selection.

The compression release valve could be frozen
or the hole could be plugged with carbon.
In any case it's an easy fix. But as long as it is
not frozen open you can still have fun with the
saw.

Lee

I'm sure these photos are posted in here somewhere but here they are again: McCulloch 840 with 48" bar.

In the big sycamore log I had to put my knee under the handle and pry up to bog the engine down.

One day I will have an 895 as well, just need to collect a few more parts.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

It's funny, but my idea of a restoration is to make it look like new, you know strip all the parts to bear metal, and refinish them nicely, and so on.

Well I've had some guys tell me that the original "Patina" showing all the dents and scrapes looks best, and is what makes it retain it's value.:dizzy:

I subscribe to the school of thought that says if you're gonna do it, do it right, and do it right the first time! So, my intent is to strip 'er down and refinish all the parts as new, and as my own personal touch I think I'd like to replace as many of the fasteners as I can with Stainless Steel Allen-head socket capscrews, instead of the old original slotted pan head capscrews. I think that would be a heck of a nice touch to really bring this old girl back to full glory, and accentuate her beauty. :rockn:

Patina: to me that's just an excuse to be lazy about it, but then that's just my opinion, and as we all know, everyone has one of those!:biggrinbounce2:

Let's face it, if I was going to be using her on a regular basis, by today's standards she's not the saw to use, but that's not the point. The point is to restore her to her once great stature, and enjoy the glory of what she once was back in the day when saws like this were at the leading edge of technology. She's a beauty, and in my opinion too nice to just let go and have some knucklehead disrespect her beauty and technology.:bowdown:

Guess I'm just a sucker for a pretty ole Gal like this!:buttkick:

Anyway, although it may take me some time, I'll be sure to keep the updates coming as I make progress with this restoration.

And THANKS everyone for your input. Keep it coming.

BTW, how is the 840 different :confused:- she looks physically the same.

It's funny, but my idea of a restoration is to make it look like new, you know strip all the parts to bear metal, and refinish them nicely, and so on.

Well I've had some guys tell me that the original "Patina" showing all the dents and scrapes looks best, and is what makes it retain it's value.:dizzy:

I subscribe to the school of thought that says if you're gonna do it, do it right, and do it right the first time! So, my intent is to strip 'er down and refinish all the parts as new, and as my own personal touch I think I'd like to replace as many of the fasteners as I can with Stainless Steel Allen-head socket capscrews, instead of the old original slotted pan head capscrews. I think that would be a heck of a nice touch to really bring this old girl back to full glory, and accentuate her beauty. :rockn:

Patina: to me that's just an excuse to be lazy about it, but then that's just my opinion, and as we all know, everyone has one of those!:biggrinbounce2:

Let's face it, if I was going to be using her on a regular basis, by today's standards she's not the saw to use, but that's not the point. The point is to restore her to her once great stature, and enjoy the glory of what she once was back in the day when saws like this were at the leading edge of technology. She's a beauty, and in my opinion too nice to just let go and have some knucklehead disrespect her beauty and technology.:bowdown:

Guess I'm just a sucker for a pretty ole Gal like this!:buttkick:

Anyway, although it may take me some time, I'll be sure to keep the updates coming as I make progress with this restoration.

And THANKS everyone for your input. Keep it coming.

BTW, how is the 840 different :confused:- she looks physically the same.

Understand your thinking. I have done both. Have one waiting for me to bead blast and paint. Check out some of Lee resto threads, the saws has done look absolutely amazing! Nothing feels better than taking a worn out saw and making it run and look new. However!!! Leaving the paint as is also helps preserve its history. Some of these big old Macs are from an era we will never see again. When left original its as if they have a story to tell. The men who carried these into the woods day in and day out are becoming fewer and fewer to tell their story. One day all that will be left to tell the story is a beat up battle scared saw. Just my .02.:cheers:

Understand your thinking. I have done both. Have one waiting for me to bead blast and paint. Check out some of Lee resto threads, the saws has done look absolutely amazing! Nothing feels better than taking a worn out saw and making it run and look new. However!!! Leaving the paint as is also helps preserve its history. Some of these big old Macs are from an era we will never see again. When left original its as if they have a story to tell. The men who carried these into the woods day in and day out are becoming fewer and fewer to tell their story. One day all that will be left to tell the story is a beat up battle scared saw. Just my .02.:cheers:

Well said Brian - I totally agree. The restored machines look amazing and are a wonderful achievement in their own right, but the unrestored saws tell their story, and the marks and scars are testament to their lives amongst the timber.

ProfessorGT - if you are going to restore that Mac to its former glory, then I would suggest that you replace the fasteners with the original type slotted screws where fitted. Inhex screws might be glory, but they are certainly not 'former'!

Each to their own though. Well done on a nice old Mac.

Regards,

Chris.

Ok you Mac guys have done it to me!!! Lol
When I was 15 my grandpa gave me a Mac 550.
It was too much saw for me and I did not know how to sharpen it to take advantage of its power. And quite frankly grew to not like it much.
Some time before I graduated in 89 I put it in the loft of dads tractor shed. It has been there untouched ever since.
The tractor shed is now the home of a planer mill and the old saw was hard to find under all the dust.
When I put it away it ran fine but the vent in the gas cap was missing and I stuffed a piece of nylon strap into it but it peed gas like a happy puppy.
I dug it out and started looking at getting it running.
Since I last put it away when I had just turned 18 some things have changed. For one thing it only weighs about half of what I remember it weighing.
Looking at it I realize the saw does not have many hours on it. The piston and cylinder look great, the bottom of the saw looks great.
But sitting for the past twenty some years has not been kind to it.
The gas tank only vaguely smells of old gas but is full of dirt and a piece of gasket. Some kind of insects have been using it for living quarters.
The oil and prime buttons are both stuck. And I can't remember which is which! Lol
I go to pull the starter and all the rope comes out and shows no connection to the engine or any slight desire to recoil.
About a cup of saw gas into the recoil assembly an let it set for a bit while I checked the plug and poured a little saw gas into the motor and rotated it around several times.
Took the muffler off and it is packed full of dirt dobber nests. But the piston and cylinder look great. And I can see some work I wanna do to the exhaust port already. Lol
The saw gas works its magic on the starter assembly and it is working fine after a few pulls everything frees up.
Pour some gas down the carb and pull. Dang thats right this saw has a ton of compression. That is one of the reasons I had so much trouble when I was a kid. With my best drop start form the saw pops on the second pull and starts on the third! The tank is still full of dirt it is just running on the gas I poured into the carb.
The chain is rusted to the bar and the rivets are stuck, so the saw will not accelerate. When I take the bar an chain off it cranks and accelerates good. I cant wait to clean the tank out and get it so that will actually run. Hopefully all the seals are good.
So far all I need is a gas cap and a bar and chain. The muffler is cracked and rusted bad but I am going to try to make a better one. The carb will probably need some attention also.

Ok you Mac guys have done it to me!!! Lol
When I was 15 my grandpa gave me a Mac 550.
It was too much saw for me and I did not know how to sharpen it to take advantage of its power. And quite frankly grew to not like it much.
Some time before I graduated in 89 I put it in the loft of dads tractor shed. It has been there untouched ever since.
The tractor shed is now the home of a planer mill and the old saw was hard to find under all the dust.
When I put it away it ran fine but the vent in the gas cap was missing and I stuffed a piece of nylon strap into it but it peed gas like a happy puppy.
I dug it out and started looking at getting it running.
Since I last put it away when I had just turned 18 some things have changed. For one thing it only weighs about half of what I remember it weighing.
Looking at it I realize the saw does not have many hours on it. The piston and cylinder look great, the bottom of the saw looks great.
But sitting for the past twenty some years has not been kind to it.
The gas tank only vaguely smells of old gas but is full of dirt and a piece of gasket. Some kind of insects have been using it for living quarters.
The oil and prime buttons are both stuck. And I can't remember which is which! Lol
I go to pull the starter and all the rope comes out and shows no connection to the engine or any slight desire to recoil.
About a cup of saw gas into the recoil assembly an let it set for a bit while I checked the plug and poured a little saw gas into the motor and rotated it around several times.
Took the muffler off and it is packed full of dirt dobber nests. But the piston and cylinder look great. And I can see some work I wanna do to the exhaust port already. Lol
The saw gas works its magic on the starter assembly and it is working fine after a few pulls everything frees up.
Pour some gas down the carb and pull. Dang thats right this saw has a ton of compression. That is one of the reasons I had so much trouble when I was a kid. With my best drop start form the saw pops on the second pull and starts on the third! The tank is still full of dirt it is just running on the gas I poured into the carb.
The chain is rusted to the bar and the rivets are stuck, so the saw will not accelerate. When I take the bar an chain off it cranks and accelerates good. I cant wait to clean the tank out and get it so that will actually run. Hopefully all the seals are good.
So far all I need is a gas cap and a bar and chain. The muffler is cracked and rusted bad but I am going to try to make a better one. The carb will probably need some attention also.

Great story Joe. It is always interesting to hear about these saw resurrections, particularly by those like yourself who have used a saw in their youth, only to put it on the shelf, forget about it for a while, and then get it out and going again.

Best of luck with that 550 - she will make some power for sure.

Regards,

Chris.

And I can see some work I wanna do to the exhaust port already. Lol

Cool, get that thing going. Just remember before you whack out those port bridges that the rings on Mac pistons float and those bridges are there to keep the ring in the groove. Pin the rings and let the chips fly!

Back