McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More 1-43 Pics

Okay, making some progress. Down to complete disassembly except for the carb, and getting clean. Next stop, the media blaster for some nice bare metal!:biggrinbounce2:

10-10 mods

Hey Randy, I read a post many moons ago that your brother could pump up a 10-10 with a quick fix/mod.. That post got my curiosity going,,, any help in that direction is appreciated. yellow fever.

1-43 Cleaning

Few more!

That's all for now, I promise!

DieselSmoke,

Yea, I need a new clutch drum as the sprocket is really worn badly. Just for giggles I've thought about tigging the grooves full of metal and then grinding them back to shape, but it's prolly not something worth messin' with.
I spoke to the guys at Granberg (Eric), and they told me to stick with the 404 size chain, but definitely to go to ripping style chain. They said that the old saws like this have all the torque necessary to pull the 404 through the wood without worry. In fact, he said my 895 will be ideal for the larger mill - can't wait!:msp_w00t:

This will be my first foray into Chain Saw Milling, so I'm looking forward to having some fun with it. Making noise, sawdust and smoke, all with the scent of fresh-cut wood! Gotta Luv It!

Arrr, Arrr, Arrr! :hmm3grin2orange:

Hey Randy, I read a post many moons ago that your brother could pump up a 10-10 with a quick fix/mod.. That post got my curiosity going,,, any help in that direction is appreciated. yellow fever.

Yeah, the one we called the Destroyer. I have tried without success to pry the information away from him. To tell the true, I don't think Humboldt remembers what he did, a lot has gone on since then.

That's gonna be good Professor. What paint do you use when you go back with it? My buddy and I have mixed up some powder that matches our Mac saws pretty close. If I can find my dern camera, I'll post some pics of it. Powder coat is tuff stuff.

HeRoze - Check with Bob Johnson if you don't want to make that gasket yourself, 607 638 9297.

Professor - Check cheapchainsawparts (e-bay seller), I think he is parting out a 450 which would have all the part you need to add the automatic oiler to the 1-43.

As for the 10-10, you would have to be specific to Model, code, and Serial number as the style of the air filter cover changed over time.

Mark

Mac 15 questions

Picked this one up yestday,was cheap enough.
kid said he had it running.. no plug in it,put my finger over hole and not a lot of compression..what on the low side will run ?
did get a "tingle" from the plug end doing this but but not a good ZAP as i have on other saws..are these a week sparker or should i go in and clean up the points ??
looks like the whole starter side of the saw needs to come off to get to the points ??
suggestion on a good spark plug to help get it going ?

attachment.php

That's gonna be good Professor. What paint do you use when you go back with it? My buddy and I have mixed up some powder that matches our Mac saws pretty close. If I can find my dern camera, I'll post some pics of it. Powder coat is tuff stuff.

You read my mind! I'd like to powder coat it all. Can you hook me up with the right color mix? I have the Eastwood tool so would get my supplies from them. Maybe I could mix up some of thier colors?

I played with 10-10s yesterday, I have three, all different. I'll have enough parts to make two running and complete. The "leftover" block has a good P&C, would make a good replacement motor, but would need many, many parts to make a saw again.

if you're offering up---- I'm in need of a good piston and rings for one of my 10-10s. I have the many many parts to make it whole, well almost. pm me if you'd like to part with it.

if you're offering up---- I'm in need of a good piston and rings for one of my 10-10s. I have the many many parts to make it whole, well almost. pm me if you'd like to part with it.

Shameless. I was hoping he would give it to me, but didn't want to ask for it openly.
I stand in amazement.

Here's some pics of the 450.

Cliff, the block may be stamped 450 but the crank case side cover and the flywheel cover are from a super series engine like a 700 or some such beast. That one came from some saw with a right hand starter.

If you don't have a better use for it, I am sure I could find it a suitable home...

Mark

That's what I was gonna saw Mark. You helped me understand the dif between the 1-50/250/etc engines and the 'super series' a while ago. I thought that the bolt pattern for the crankcase cover was different between these two series of engines though. Am I mistaken, and a 'super series' cover can be bolted onto a 1-50/250/440/etc engine then?

I am being shamed into manning up.

I might take a break from the saw and work on the garage. I want to knock out a wall under the stairs and put in a recessed work bench. I fly low and loose, so we'll see which project gets done first.

Glad to see you manning up here. You've already done the work of tearing that 640 apart. Get it back together with Cliff's engine!

Hi all. Just picked up a McCulloch 10-10 auto and have a ?. Why would this saw rev to full throttle when started and not idle down? I won't be able to tear into it until the weekend but would like to get opinions on where I should start looking. I checked the High and low screws and did not see anything for idle adjustment. I'm wondering if this is a common problem or if someone has had the same issue and what they did to cure it. Does anyone have a down-loadable IPL for the 10-10 auto? Thank you.

My PM 10-10 has the high-idle throttle lock built into the grip safety throttle lever thingee in the top of the handle. It's not a sepperate button like what's on most other saws (except old Macs...........which could benefit from having one IME............that's why the "two pulls to start Homelite guys" gave Randy grief I wager). Looking at your later posts, I guess you solved your issue with the saw however.

Yeah, the one we called the Destroyer. I have tried without success to pry the information away from him. To tell the true, I don't think Humboldt remembers what he did, a lot has gone on since then.

Think we could 'extract' the info from HR with some kind of hypnosis, booze, loose-wimmin, or a combination of the three?:givebeer:

If I was looking for a freebee I'd go down town on Friday night--- no sir, I'm willing to spend greenbacks or spare parts if that's what it takes to make deals. Actually Thursdays are better for freebees---- that's when the college co-eds party.

If I was looking for a freebee I'd go down town on Friday night--- no sir, I'm willing to spend greenbacks or spare parts if that's what it takes to make deals. Actually Thursdays are better for freebees---- that's when the college co-eds party.

I remember them days fondly. I wasn't busting on him, just shocked a little. He seems to be taking it well.

You read my mind! I'd like to powder coat it all. Can you hook me up with the right color mix? I have the Eastwood tool so would get my supplies from them. Maybe I could mix up some of thier colors?

Hey, If I can find my camera, I'll post up a pic of the sample right against my tank. My tank is pristine, so it's pretty close to factory color. Give me a little bit, I've got some errands to run. I think you'll like it.:msp_thumbup:

I remember them days fondly. I wasn't busting on him, just shocked a little. He seems to be taking it well.

unfortunately all I can do is remember those days and nights, no more playing for me. I certainly don't mind the busting, I've done my share and besides everybody gets a turn in the barrel.:msp_cursing:

I couldn't find the original post from a couple of weeks ago, but someone was asking about the difference between the 1-81 and 1-81HD. I was digging through IPLs looking for something and saw it so I checked. There's a couple miscellaneous parts with different numbers, nothing that affects how it runs or that you could even tell were different I imagine. The 1 glaring difference was the gearbox. Most Macs had either 2:1 or 3:1. Seems the 1-81HD had 3.6:1 Reckon you could pull a dozer track with machetes welded to it with that.

Hi i posted this in the beg for manuals thread as well but as this is the McCulloch thread i thought maybe someone might have one here as well thanks.

IPL/ SHOP MANUAL FOR THE MAC 250 the other numbers on it are 6120
send to [email protected]

thanks in advance

What are the last four numbers on the bottom Serial # ??

Back