McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
137 - I am still thinking carburetor/fuel delivery issue.

Are you sure the metering lever is correctly set?

Metering diaphragm and gasket in the proper order?

Did you replace the fuel filter and fuel line in the tank?

I don't think the reed valves would cause a problem like that, what happens if you open the H jet a bit further?

Mark

If by piece of work you mean a thief, then he was. Ask Nikola Tesla.

Not so much a thief, but crooked. Teslas AC was better than Edisons DC, but Edison CO. had more money and exposure and spread false claims on how dangerous AC was. Either way, Franklin was the kite and key, Edison was the light bulb, and Tesla was the Alternating current we use for primary power today. How dos Mcculloch fit in to all this:msp_smile:

Not so much a thief, but crooked. Teslas AC was better than Edisons DC, but Edison CO. had more money and exposure and spread false claims on how dangerous AC was. Either way, Franklin was the kite and key, Edison was the light bulb, and Tesla was the Alternating current we use for primary power today. How dos Mcculloch fit in to all this:msp_smile:

Bob plugged in Edison's bulb to Tesla's juice to see his way to deliver shocking power not felt since Franklin keyed into the lightning.

How's that?

Now that you guys are all "charged" up, I just wanted to share my latest rebuild: A MAC 7-10 Automatic. I had to replace the oil pump reservior, I checked the points, rebuilt the carb. I sandblasted the parts down and repainted them. I added some bicycle grip foam to the handle bar to add a little anti-vibe to the saw. IT actually helps a lot. I kind of like the saw. Runs really nice.

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid230.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fee274%2Fjmueller57%2Fchainsaw%2F005-1.mp4">

Here's a question about my 1-51.

i have gone thru the saw to the best of my knowledge (still in the learning stage) and have cleaned everything up and everything looks good to the eye... again the saw was running top notch when the handles got smashed 20 or so years back... i have gone through the carb and put in a new kit new plugs good spark and has a lot of compression when you first pull the rope over piston and cylinder look good through the muffler and spark plug holes but... before and after i installed the carb kit the saw has no top end will only stay running in the top end if you feather the choke to about 1/2 and find a sweet spot if you do not choke it it will go up into the top end and then die ( if not choked ) does not matter if the saw it warm or cold and the carb was set to what tilly recomends and i did the same settings on my 250 and it was pretty close what do any of you guys think up for things to look for...
Reed Valve
Bad Plug (its new but reading some of the recent post have me thinking)

btw i do not have a way to comp test it but in know it pulls harder than my 250 and that has 150 psi.

It's Not getting fuel at WOT, for a test remove the fuel filter entirely, only if your tank is real clean. Test throttle at WOT. If that's not the prob open up the hi needle to 3 turns ( which should be WAAY to rich) and test. be ready with a screwdriver to dial it back to were it runs good. If that's not the prob, it could be the metering lever setting. Oh and check the internal filter in the bottom of the carb body. There is a check valve in the body of the carb under a welsh plug, if that's gummed up from sitting, it would affect your WOT run performance. Good luck.

Yeah I am putting that saw up for sale. I need to update my signature line. I have all sorts of Mac's now. CAD.... meet Yellow fever.......lol

You didn't have yellow fever much at the GTG, glad to see you do. The old saws are a lot more fun to run for some reason.

Did you get a chance to run my PM 700?

Chris

You asked for it, you got it. :msp_flapper:

Along with explanations of what's going on with each bench and so on...

Here you see my primary workbench. Covered in mostly metal shavings on the middle to right side, and a McCulloch 790 and a few of its parts on the left, and then a crappy little bench grinder and a bunch of paper on the far left.

attachment.php

Here you see my secondary workbench, covered with a Ryobi SS30 trimmer that the parts that I ordered a month ago finally came, and a newly acquired saw for the sissies around in my house so they will at least help me cut some firewood. Also the mini drill press I got from my grandpa. It works good.

attachment.php

Here is my tertiary work table, covered in a mess of tools, most of which are Taiwanese stuff, but found a fair bit of Crapsman and Husky in there too. Not much to get all excited over... we recently acquired all of these tools from my neighbor, whose son-in-law finally moved out after so long of a time here. He needed to get out of here since it was just too depressing to him, so he went to Arizona. Neighbor heard back from him, and things are going well.

Here is the floor by my workbench. More stuff... you do not want to see what the rest of the barn is like... it's literally crammed with stuff right now. Kinda frustrating at times, but I wouldn't turn down a good project even though I've already got tons of them already crammed up my ass. :laugh:

attachment.php

HOLY Garage-mess Batman!!! How do you find anything?? I'm sorry I asked. Take a half a day and some boxes, a sharpie, and start packaging that stuff. You'll be much happier at the end of the day.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Oh and more 790 updates, please. How's the bore look?

Now that you guys are all "charged" up, I just wanted to share my latest rebuild: A MAC 7-10 Automatic. I had to replace the oil pump reservior, I checked the points, rebuilt the carb. I sandblasted the parts down and repainted them. I added some bicycle grip foam to the handle bar to add a little anti-vibe to the saw. IT actually helps a lot. I kind of like the saw. Runs really nice.

001-1.jpg

Nice job on 7-10,sounds good too.:cheers::cheers:

HOLY Garage-mess Batman!!! How do you find anything?? I'm sorry I asked. Take a half a day and some boxes, a sharpie, and start packaging that stuff. You'll be much happier at the end of the day.:hmm3grin2orange:

Oh and more 790 updates, please. How's the bore look?

Hehe... I have trouble sometimes with finding tools... it was perfectly clean about a month ago. My dad gets really pissed of trying to find a tool... :laugh: Got lots of work to do. No tools on that table, no four or five gasoline powered equipment projects going on at one time... no homeworks... :D Now all of that stuff is there.

I plan on cleaning this mess up... haven't gotten the workbench cleaned off yet, (sorry, did not check the bore yet) and might not get around to it until later tonight...

My other car decided one coolant hose from the thermostat housing and throttle body was supposed to have a split in it... :bang: made it home so I could take my brother's car, smoke pouring out from under the hood and trailing off the back of the car on the way... temp gauge was about 5/6ths the way to overheating. :msp_scared: Normally the gauge is about 1/4 or a little less the way to overheating. Hell of a morning. :dizzy: Got to welding class 30 minutes late, and did some TIG welding on stainless steel (PITA) and did a bunch of gas flux core welding (much easier, I'm good at it) Got home about 40 minutes ago. Decided I needed to stop in and see ya'll. :)

Think I need to go get a Monster and fix my car. Hopefully I will have enough time to clean off the workbench and play with the 790. :) Also got to make an injector puller for my other car (not the one with the split hose)

AAarrrrrrghhhhhhhhh!!! Damn internet pulled twick on me... :bang: So I will not be retyping the story I was telling about the Mad Max. :(

1984 Nissan Maxima : current status : fixed that ##### of a little hose located in a fairly tight part of the engine bay : still much easier to work on than 98% of the newer cars out there : the end.

Sorry for the :poop:y summary of what went on... lots of swearing and obscene language and that little hose almost changed itself... it was so scared!!! :D

Hi guys. I got a Mac question. I have a Mac bar, 28'' I think, 3/8, the number is 86847 SJ. The tip says 'speed mac', 86830.

Can anyone tell me how many drive links I need? This bar has been modified to fit one of my pioneers. I want to order some chains and go make some noodles!;)

Thanks.

sawpic001.jpg
sawpic002.jpg

found this gem at a PS for $30. I really only wanted the bar because I thought it was a 16" McCulloch roller nose bar but come to find out it is a large homelite mount. I put on a 16" hard nose bar on it and it runs like a champ.

You didn't have yellow fever much at the GTG, glad to see you do. The old saws are a lot more fun to run for some reason.

Did you get a chance to run my PM 700?

Chris

Yeah I had a couple yellow saws, but I just didn't bring them. I did get to run Buzz's SP125C. Sorry but I didn't try the PM 700.

Latest posts

Back