McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:msp_lol::msp_lol::msp_lol: I do lack many things,, now I can add ability to the list. lol
If the price of gas goes up any further, I might not be able to attend the GTG, so how many do you want?
Promac is down for three, Eccentric needs one or two, somebody else needs three, I only have six or seven left. Get them before they are gone!

Put me down for none. I think I've served my time messing with the half dozen I've had. Think I might have got one Mini-Mac to run like it is supposed to. I sold the others.

Nice project Sam. That tank should clean up nice.
I have seen much worse. Nice that Brian hooked
you up with the handle brace.
Keep us posted on the progress.
She will be a strong runner when done.

Lee

Put me down for none. I think I've served my time messing with the half dozen I've had. Think I might have got one Mini-Mac to run like it is supposed to. I sold the others.

are you talking about the eager beavers and 2.0 like thoes saws are the mini Mac pretty much the same

Yep, I used to pick them up at flea markets but lately I've been passing them by. Hard to work on, hard to get rid of and I have no need to use them as I have several Poulan 25 saws.

last summer I was given 3 saws and had my choice of 2 to fix 1 you-all said to get rid of the eager beaver but I kept it and got it running great - you guys said its a pain to work on but I thought it was easy - I gave it to a guy I know so he would quit pestering me about using my saws it looks and runs like brand new - the guys last name is Mack so it worked out to give him - why do you think their a beech to work on

Just finished putting the mains and seals in my Super 250 (2nd from the top). Pulled all my 250s and 550s together for a little picture. I love this series of saws.

BTW, the clutch keyway on the crank was totally shelled out. As in 1/3 of the taper was gone. No chunks and no woodruff key fell out when I pulled the clutch. I did replace the drum on this saw when I got it and I don't recall any damage so I have no idea what happened. Anyway, the only 87cc junker I had was a 440 and the crank did bolt into the Super. Crank counterweights looked a tad less beefier is all I could see different.

Chris B.

Nice lineup Chris. I see one of your "regular" 550's has a primer carb while the other has a choke carb. Is it a choke flatback (like the Super 250 and Super 550) or is it a Tilly HL? I'm swapping my 550 from a primer flatback to an HL. The IPL's list HL's as being installed on some 550s.

It could be a camera angle thing, but to my eyes you have two different patterns of full wrap bars on those saws. Interesting.

I removed the tank on the SP125 and pretty much found nothing real obviously wrong other than a bunch of crud in the bottom of the tank.

The gasket to wards the oil tank is mush and shredded when I pulled the tank off. I will try and get both gaskets.

I am thinking now that there must be a problem with the oil pump itself that it allowed oil to be pulled while running as I see no way that it did it while sitting still over the years unless I am missing something obvious.

I will clean everything up and inspect closer on the oil pump itself. The manual oiler worked I know prior to tank removal. Internally the saw looks like new and such my be the result of it being full of oil which was not such a bad thing over the years while sitting waiting for me to gently bring it back to life:hmm3grin2orange:

I have seen several other impulse-driven oiler equipped saws suck bar oil past failed pump parts and into the engine. I don't see why it couldn't also happen with the Macs. I commend you on your patience. You've resisted the powerful urge to just fire the sucker up and rev it 'til it stops smoking (or siezes).
:cheers:

Tomorrow or Monday I can get some pictures of it with where I am at with it now.

I was asked today by DW how many saw do you have now:msp_confused: time to lay low for a bit:laugh:

Congratulations Shane. You've graduated to "the next level" of CAD. Now you must avoid outside intervention (from the DW) by never storing all of the saws in such a way that she can see the whole collection at once. Well placed boxes in the garage can do wonders for this purpose...:D

Picked it up this morning and the rear handle broke at the bolt. ####. Oh well. This saw has had some use.

Corroded SOB, hasn't penetrated the surface as far as I can see.

Should look good here when it's done...at least when it's not tagging along to work with me - Sam

-Happy Easter-

Happy Easter Sam (and everybody else of course)! You've got some work to do, but it's not a lost cause by any stretch. I also agree that it'll look good there..........................but it'd look even better on my shelf methinks. A guy's entitled to his opinion afterall...:hmm3grin2orange:

What "mailbox top" saw is that on the right? Looks like a 450, 550 or S-550.

:msp_lol: I do lack many things,, now I can add ability to the list. lol
If the price of gas goes up any further, I might not be able to attend the GTG, so how many do you want?
Promac is down for three, Eccentric needs one or two, somebody else needs three, I only have six or seven left. Get them before they are gone!

last summer I was given 3 saws and had my choice of 2 to fix 1 you-all said to get rid of the eager beaver but I kept it and got it running great - you guys said its a pain to work on but I thought it was easy - I gave it to a guy I know so he would quit pestering me about using my saws it looks and runs like brand new - the guys last name is Mack so it worked out to give him - why do you think their a beech to work on

PLEASE send the two mini-mac's you had slated for me to Don instead. I'll send the 1.5 (give or take) mini-macs I have now to him as well. That will learn him!:dizzy:

Finely got my 10-10 running like it should, took me awhile fooling with it here and there but I got it. Just need to get a chain for it and it will be good to go. After I finished up working on a roto tiller I was bored and decided to work on another project. Dont have everything I need to have it running, so I am just taking my time with it and when I am bored will keep putting it together.:cheers:

attachment.php

Nice lineup Chris. I see one of your "regular" 550's has a primer carb while the other has a choke carb. Is it a choke flatback (like the Super 250 and Super 550) or is it a Tilly HL? I'm swapping my 550 from a primer flatback to an HL. The IPL's list HL's as being installed on some 550s.

It could be a camera angle thing, but to my eyes you have two different patterns of full wrap bars on those saws. Interesting.

First, what you see are 2 Super 250s, 1 550, and 2 Super 550s. All are flatbacks, the 550 has the primer carb (primer doesn't work, big surprise) and the Supers have chokes. And yep, you are seeing 2 different full wraps. The regular 550 has the wider full wrap, with less black covering on the handle. The Supers all have narrower full wraps (no bend on the clutch side) and are almost completely covered with the black coating. I actually like the older (wide) full wrap better since it is easier to get a wrench or ratchet on the bar nuts.

Chris B.

For you old Mac guys, you know that from time to time you have bad wire from the coil to the spark plug. In theory, you just unscrew the old wire and screw a new on on the threaded "stud" at the bottom of plug wire hole.

Normally though, the wire twists off and renders the coil useless. I thought there had to be a way to drill or otherwise core out the old wire to make the coil useable again. Looking around for hollow drill bits proved fruitless, so I started looking for some tubing of the appropriate diameter to make my own.

I was able to find a couple of long spring pins (one 5/16", one 1/4") and first ground the ends flat/square, then ran the counterbore into the end to give it a bit of bite.

I used them in the cordless drill in reverse and seemed to work just fine to remove the remnents of the old wire. After inserting a new wire, I used some ultra black silicone to seal it once I was done.

In one of the photo's below you can see one coil with the insulator broken out around the plug wire terminal showing the threaded stud where the wire attaches. Make sure the replacement plug wire you use has a copper wire core.

Coil with wire twisted off
181263d1303693223-dscn3522-jpg

"Drill bit" made from a spring pin
181262d1303693221-dscn3527-jpg

The plug wire removed
181264d1303693226-dscn3533-jpg

Plug wire out, ready to install the new one
181261d1303693218-dscn3536-jpg

Broken insulator showing the stud at the bottom
181265d1303693229-dscn3541-jpg

Mark

Last edited:
First, what you see are 2 Super 250s, 1 550, and 2 Super 550s. All are flatbacks, the 550 has the primer carb (primer doesn't work, big surprise) and the Supers have chokes. And yep, you are seeing 2 different full wraps. The regular 550 has the wider full wrap, with less black covering on the handle. The Supers all have narrower full wraps (no bend on the clutch side) and are almost completely covered with the black coating. I actually like the older (wide) full wrap better since it is easier to get a wrench or ratchet on the bar nuts.

Chris B.

You have two Super 550's? Wow. I though I saw two S-250's, two 'regular' 550's, and one S-550. My 'regular' 550 has the wider full-wrap with only the top bit covered with the black vinyl stuff (and came with a primer-flatback). My S-250 has the narrower full-wrap. Didn't even realize it until now, as I've never had both saws side-by-side. In the IPL's, there's listings for 'standard' 550's with both HL's and primer-flatbacks........and S-550s with both choke-flatbacks and HL's. In the 650/660 IPL's, all three carbs were used in certain variants (identified by SN prefix). S-250's were listed with both HL's and primer-flatbacks (my S-250 came with the primer flatback). McCulloch sure liked doing the 'musical carbs' thing.

Last edited:
Brian, what length chain do you need? If necessary, I'll send you a b/c combo. I've got a couple spares - Sam

I have seen several other impulse-driven oiler equipped saws suck bar oil past failed pump parts and into the engine. I don't see why it couldn't also happen with the Macs. I commend you on your patience. You've resisted the powerful urge to just fire the sucker up and rev it 'til it stops smoking (or siezes).
:cheers:

Congratulations Shane. You've graduated to "the next level" of CAD. Now you must avoid outside intervention (from the DW) by never storing all of the saws in such a way that she can see the whole collection at once. Well placed boxes in the garage can do wonders for this purpose...:D

Happy Easter Sam (and everybody else of course)! You've got some work to do, but it's not a lost cause by any stretch. I also agree that it'll look good there..........................but it'd look even better on my shelf methinks. A guy's entitled to his opinion afterall...:hmm3grin2orange:

What "mailbox top" saw is that on the right? Looks like a 450, 550 or S-550.

PLEASE send the two mini-mac's you had slated for me to Don instead. I'll send the 1.5 (give or take) mini-macs I have now to him as well. That will learn him!:dizzy:

sore it just seamed to be real easy or maybe it was because I just finished a c6 but I wasn't meaning to sound like a smart arse sorry if I did

Mr. RandyMac? What's your sayings for the below cubes?

5 cubes

6 cubes... know that one "Go forth six cubes, and fear no evil." :)

7 cubes

8 cubes

9? cubes

I have a 795L too.

attachment.php

Nice. I remember seeing that saw in the classifieds ad. Your AF cover doesn't read "740L"......but then of course it could have been swapped. You could still have a 'real' 740L. My money's on the saw being a frankensaw however. I was going to do that same swap on my 790. Changed my mind and decided to leave it RH start instead...

I've never seen pics of an 'L' model 700-series Mac with a black starter housing. I've seen those starter housings on later 250's and other front-tank LH start Macs.

The clutch cover looks like what you'd find on a non-chainbrake 105 or 125 Mac. The flywheel cover on most (if not all) saws in this series have the bosses to support a LH starter housing (and mounting hardware) cast into it.

A fellow needs only to snap out the grill and drill the three holes for the scews in order to make the cover take a Mac LH starter housing and screen. A flywheel from most LH start Macs could be swapped on, as could a non-RH start clutch assembly.

The 1-92 'two man' saw, as well as the welders that used this engine had that same flywheel cover with a LH start type starter housing on it. I always smile when I see the falling site line cast into the starter housing on a McWelder.:msp_biggrin:

Looks to me like you're going to need a new tank top, unless there's unbroken metal under the glob of epoxy (or whatever that is) on the LH side.

Deprime - 740L, wow I am yellow with envy...

Belgian has a nice 795L, I never knew there was a 740L.

Let's see some photos of the clutch side, I want to know what that cover looks like.

Mark

Here are some additional pics of the clutch side.

740-5.jpg

740-6.jpg

The clutch cover appears to be the same as Cliff's 795L but different than the one in the drawing on the 795L IPL? Going to try and do some more investigating on the web this week to try and find any more info on the 740L. Reguardless of whether it is a 740 or a 740L I'm just glad to finally have a 6 cu.in. saw! I also found a tank/handle assembly on the bay in anticipation of what's underneath the patch on the tank.

Bryon

Last edited:
Can anyone tell by the pics if I have thin or thick rings? I plan on a full dissasembly on the 740 and will be able to get a measurement at that point but I thought someone might be able to tell by the pics. I don't have any experience yet with the bigger Mac saws and any help would be appreciated.

740-8.jpg

740-7.jpg

Bryon

Hi guys new member here...Found this site serching for a IPL for my Baby Still saw...then i found this thread Wow....Am selling my Still now kinda have as i've purchased a few macs in the last 3 days
PM700 #1 26" Bar no currently going..NZ$61
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=181321&d=1303722506
PM700 #2 15" bar?...NZ$97 was going till starter cord snapped according to the owner
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=181322&d=1303722512
PM850.....24"Bar has sat for eight years started up before the owner listed it....Bargin @NZ$140 Looks in bloody good condition
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=181323&d=1303722553
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=181324&d=1303722563
And lastly SP60 21-22" Bar NZ$ 52
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=181325&d=1303722572

So for a grand total of NZ$350 US$280 i've started my Mac collection/addiction

Should add i've got 10 pages left and i've read this whole thread....My mind is swimming with Mac pics and info..........

Man what a mind boggling range of saws Mac made and some of your guys collections are impressive......

Heres the last pic of the SP60,i really wanted this for the Mac bar on it.
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=181331&d=1303723515

An one of an old Ble painted Mac thats for sale on a local site....
Can some one ID it?.Opening bid is $5,says it runs but roughly.
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=181332&d=1303723520
Why Have 4 when i can have 5.........even if one is Blue(for a while)

Now all i have to do is wait for them to all turn up...Should have all four of them arrive this week.

Can anyone tell by the pics if I have thin or thick rings? I plan on a full dissasembly on the 740 and will be able to get a measurement at that point but I thought someone might be able to tell by the pics. I don't have any experience yet with the bigger Mac saws and any help would be appreciated.

740-8.jpg

740-7.jpg

Bryon

Looks like thick rings to me.

Thick rings, if you look a few pages back you will find a discussion on thick and thin, thick rings are .062" thick, thin rings are .025" thick for the large displacement saws.

Somehow that angular clutch cover just doesn't look right on an otherwise well contoured saw. I wonder if it would be possible to put the more sculpted cover from a 200/300/400/500 type saw on it? I know I have a slightly modified 200 clutch cover I put on one of my SP125's when I put the short bar on it for fun.

No matter what, that is a nice looking saw and should be a lot of fun to run. I used my 1-72 again a bit this weekend on a couple of trees my younger son lined up to take down. My grandson Grady will be 3 at the end of May, already an enthusiastic helper.

181348d1303735342-dscn3639-jpg

Mark

Back