McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unreasonable facsimile

Okay. That was simply a crappy attempt at some humor.

Now for measuring the bore on the 790, I'm going to do this... place the piston ring at the top of the cylinder, measure end gap and see if it contacts the entire cylinder wall and no light passes in between the ring and the wall. Move it up the bore, measure again, so on... this is what my neighbor did on his pulling tractor Honda 750 engines. If all of the measurements are the same or very close, then I'm good to go. :) I still need to clean and boil the cylinder before I get around to measuring it.

Here's some cool information about what he has done... his pulling buddies started the "Poor Man's Pullin' Club" and they all ran basically the same set up. They all would go to the big pulls in Iowa and end up in the top five or six places and leave nothing to the other much more sponsored and money pit teams. He built these 750 air cooled Honda four cylinders from their original ~53 hp to ~90-95 hp... he tuned the pipes by cutting them down a little at a time so the engine would hit the powerband halfway up the tach; in which that tach shows when the engine hits it's max RPM level of ~13,000 rpm.

BTW, he only has had a timing chain break, otherwise, no engine failures... those high-end big money teams hated him, he kicked their asses so bad, and this is when he ran in the 1150cc and 1250cc class... the 750 Hondas that he built are all stock, with some porting and timing changes. The rest was in the gearing, which took some time for him and the other "Poor Man's Pullin' Club" members to figure out, but once they got it, that's when things went bad for the other teams. They all would go over to him and say "How the hell did you do that? You're doing all of your work in that damn garage." He even had beaten guys that spent 5-6 or more grand on their engines with BB kits, etc. My neighbor and his buddies beat them all with stock modified Honda CB 750 engines.

I'm gonna have to learn his techniques to the porting and such. Believe it or not, he had a CB 750 with the built 750 in it... fast and loud, to say the least. :)

I gotta go to bed. Goodnight Mac men, Homelite homies, Poulan pros, Remington gunlovers, Husky dogs, creamsickleheads, and assclowns. :)

This evening I cleaned gaskets off the SP125 and I am still stumped as to why I have oil in the crank case:mad:

I see no reason for it being there and have been pouring over the IPL to see if something is missing.

Here is a picture of the oil pump. Is there anything a miss looking on this? It all moves freely. I am confused as to how the tank oil is kept seperate from crank case as it runs (meaning I see the how in the top of the cover but should there be more to it than that). The gasket that seals the oil tank from the crank case plate/cover was pretty much just mush. I am wondering if that was enough for oil to get past it somehow. The gasket from crankcase to plate/cover is in good condition and could be reused.

I just do not want to miss anything obvious.

Homiexl.jpg

I had that problem with a Lombard Comango the problem with that was the crank-seal between the pump and crank seal --- after using the saw it would lose oil into the silender so I had-to drain it out dry the plug and it would do great till I shut it off

Cheers for the warm welcome guys.....

PM850 Super...h'mm didn't even notice the super part....was in to much off a rush to get the owner to put up a Buy now for me..
Races off to acres site to check it out...and to try and find the IPL's for em all.

i went and picked up PM700 #2 this evening, it is in better condition than the pic shows.....Has a 18" bar on ,not a 15" as stated in the add. The owner lent it to a mate and it came back with the broken pull start cable. So has sit for a few years.

Will get pics of it tomorrow when i can find the camera, hopefully PM700 #1 is getting picked up tomorrow by The FIL's transport firm.
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=181565&d=1303810072

I would guess the blue one is really based on the 10-10, McCulloch sold a number of the 10-10 power heads to others and many were painted blue. Belgian has a blue 10-10 based cut off saw, come to think of it I have a blue 795 based cut off saw myself.
Mark

Mark,I think your collection would over fill my house, workshop, wood shed and carport.

You can see yellow in places under the crappy blue paint, and blue paint on the gas gap. Plus the Mac badge still in place.

We'll see how the blue auction goes,got out bid on a running but well used 250 on sunday,it went for NZ$120,helped that it had a new 18" chain on it,cost about $40+ just for the chain here.
I had to draw the line somewhere,really wanted to get PM700#2 first.Looks to be in too good condition to pass up.

Callan.

Last edited:
Mark,I think your collection would over fill my house, workshop, wood shed and carport.

You can see yellow in places under the crappy blue paint, and blue paint on the gas gap. Plus the Mac badge still in place.

We'll see how the blue auction goes,got out bid on a running but well used 250 on sunday,it went for NZ$120,helped that it had a new 18" chain on it,cost about $40+ just for the chain here.
I had to draw the line somewhere,really wanted to get PM700#2 first.Looks to be in too good condition to pass up.

could someone tell me how to change my avatar

could someone tell me how to change my avatar

Click on 'Settings' on the top of the screen, scroll down to 'Edit avatar' and click on that. That brings up the editing box for the avatars.

You don't have to change your avatar... we like it too. :)

Last edited:
promac:

thanks for the thought on the gasket thats what i bought but the wrapper didnt say anything about gas on it just oil i didnt think it would be a problem just was curious what everyone thought was the best material to use.

Well I have two questions.
#1 How do you tell the difference between a PM 800 and 850?
#2 Is there another piston that will work in a PM 800 other than the stock piston?

I meant to check back on this saw but I forgot, so can anyone tell me what I missed out on? I went back through the last several pages in hopes that ya'll may have already figured it out, but I did not see anything. I figured something that could pull a 38" bar would have been worth owning.

McCulloch chainsaw vintage 38" bar | eBay

I meant to check back on this saw but I forgot, so can anyone tell me what I missed out on? I went back through the last several pages in hopes that ya'll may have already figured it out, but I did not see anything. I figured something that could pull a 38" bar would have been worth owning.

McCulloch chainsaw vintage 38" bar | eBay

It was a 1-6somthing. 80cc geardrive, I was looking at it for the bar, but have other things I need more LOL.

Free at Last!

A big S***L box showed up today. I could feel the movement of something that wanted out. Unfortuantely, it had to wait another 6 hours before freedom would arrive. I cut him free using a spare big MAC dawg. There he was a bit unhappy among the egg cartons but without any real harm - my first male saw - the mighty 101B/125. I won't have time to work on him for a while due to my daughter's upcoming wedding so be patient we'll get to him. Here's a few teaser pictures:

1st picture: Yes, that is 196 psi.
2nd picture: Already has a name inscribed "Mike Garrett" - anybody know him?
3rd picture: Old war injury - broken fin. I'll find a new flywheel before I run it. Ron

It was a 1-6somthing. 80cc geardrive, I was looking at it for the bar, but have other things I need more LOL.

Thanks for the quick reply and I feel a little better knowing it was only a 80cc saw, but only a little better. Kind of glad I missed the ending cause I did not really have the money to spend.

How are you Brian my lad?

I have bought saws, just for the B&C, which is often worth twice or more what the whole saw was.

Cant complain, getting closer to having a p/t job with a tree service so I can get paid for using saws LOL. And I have spent most of the day tearing up my back yard so I can maybe get some grass rather than weeds. How bout yourself?

I could have used the bar, I actually need 2 or three more bars and lots of chain LOL. But I have a couple of things of higher priority to take care of. I have a couple of bucks set aside for new running shoes, and its killing me not to just start getting other stuff LOL. Would just mean I will have to get knee surgery a little sooner, no big deal right:D?

Latest posts

Back