McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is the same bar clamp / adjuster whether the bar is set up for RH or LH on the gear box.

186459d1307390039-mcculloch-1-63r-jpg

186460d1307390043-mcculloch-1-62-006-jpg

Mark

I picked up this "little" beauty this week. It's a 1-40 according to the top label, got the oiler in the front. It's a little heavy for me to use much but figured for $10 it was hard to pass up. It doesn't run when fuel is squirted into the carburetor so I guess my next stop is the ignition.
attachment.php

It is the same bar clamp / adjuster whether the bar is set up for RH or LH on the gear box.

186459d1307390039-mcculloch-1-63r-jpg

Mark

How is sawing with the bar on that side without a cover
over the sprocket end of the chain?

Do the chips fly everywhere?

I picked up this "little" beauty this week. It's a 1-40 according to the top label, got the oiler in the front. It's a little heavy for me to use much but figured for $10 it was hard to pass up. It doesn't run when fuel is squirted into the carburetor so I guess my next stop is the ignition.

Like I have already said TWICE today, all I ever 'find' are dead mice ... you guys are brutal. :bang:

BTW, VERY nice find!

Last edited:
$10? I feel I had a good day when I can pick up a nice saw like that for $50.

Nice pick.

Ron, very sorry to hear about the loss of your mother, I've been through that one and know how tough it can be. Though we know they have gone to a better place, it doen't mean we don't miss them sorely.

Too cold for croc's this time of year...I've been from Sydney to Melbourne and will venture down to Tasmania before I get to head home on Friday. I have seen a lot of trees and a few saws along the way even though I am officially here on business.

I went to see Terry Titchner on Saturday (go look at my "Australia" thread from last year) and delivered a muffler for a 797 he'd asked for, ended up getting a 73 to bring back with me...now to get it shipped to the good old US of A.

I'd like to post a few photo's but the slow connection here really limits what I can do.

If I ever get home again I will have a long list of projects waiting...

Mark

First I've been able to log on since yesterday AM. Sorry to hear of your loss Ron. We'll be praying for you and your family.

You bet you have some projects waiting Mark. I hope the first on the list is that McCulloch 77. Glad to hear you're getting its older brother (73). Somebody mentioned a few days ago that they got a box of McCulloch 73 parts with another saw (non-Mac IIRC). Wasn't in this thread. Maybe the Swap Meet, Homelite, or Poulan threads. I'll see if I can find out who it was. Dang memory...

Last couple weekends have been a flurry of McCulloch activity for me. Did a buncha work on the diesel so it can haul RandyMac, myself, and our saws to/from the PNW GTG later this week. Tore a FILTHY 250 completely down and shipped the bare jug and stuffer to a member here. Rebuilt a pair of Mac application Tilly HL's. Cleaned up my McCulloch 650 gear drive. Swapped on a 'new' flywheel cover, replaced the fuel line, and swapped one of the rebuilt HL's in place of the dead primer-flatback. Swapped on a nice 30" Oregon Duo-Tronic 'universal' bar.

Swapped the other HL onto the McCulloch 550 in place of its sick primer-flatback (sorry Mark...I gave up on the FB). The 550 now runs STRONG. The 650 runs well, but seems to get a brief air leak sometimes. I had to reuse The spacer-to-carb box gasket. Think it's leaking there. Gotta make or buy a new one. Cleaned up Randy's 790 and discovered that it needs a replacement oil tank and stuffer. Long ago, some yahoo managed to break them, and performed some sketchy epoxy 'repairs'. We'll post pics later. Swapped on the lower handle bracket that Lee sent.

Last edited:
$10? I feel I had a good day when I can pick up a nice saw like that for $50.

Nice pick.

Thanks. The fellow I bought it from said he paid $10 for it also. Couldn't get it to run, cleaned carburetor out, I noticed it was very clean, and it still wouldn't run. When I poured the gas into the carb and it didn't hit a lick, but had compression I figured the former owner didn't clean the points. I'll check the spark tomorrow to be sure.

Good news guys...

1. CPR sent me the reed plate assembly to me since he fiund something better to use on his kart saw. (thanks CPR!! Hope your kart saw builds go well!! :cheers:)

2. My pops talked to a guy he knows at work... the guy has a tree service... been running/working it for years. What that means is he literally has a decent size shed full of saws...

My dad mentioned that I said I really would have a field day rummaging through his shed, and the guy said "I bet!" and laughed... he said he went to the shed the other day and said "There are all kinds of McCullochs in there..."

:eek:uttahere2::rock::blob2: Ooo... me has yellow fever... he made a big 'mistake' by telling my dad that he had a bunch of Macs hiding in the shed... because my pops relayed that info to me... :D

So, when I'm done with the 790 and NU-17, I'm gonna holler to that guy and try to make a deal... I'll rebuild a couple of his vintage saws and give them back to him in exchange for all of the saws...

My mom is kinda freaking out about the idea of the barn being taken over by saws... :D

Nice news, indeed!

It isn't happening if there are no pics! :popcorn:

Tell your Mom that it's sounding like a barn addition is required ... :jester:

It'll be a little while before I can get some pics... my dad works down south of here, about a 50 minute drive one way... the guy lives in that area...

When I get the chance to visit his place, I'll be sure to remember the camera. :cheers:

Thanks. The fellow I bought it from said he paid $10 for it also. Couldn't get it to run, cleaned carburetor out, I noticed it was very clean, and it still wouldn't run. When I poured the gas into the carb and it didn't hit a lick, but had compression I figured the former owner didn't clean the points. I'll check the spark tomorrow to be sure.

Update: the saw has plenty of spark. I poured some gas down the carburetor and cranked it over several times and it came to life...briefly. Tried it again and the same thing. So I guess in my spare time I'll try to go through the fuel system. I believe the saw has enough compression to run although I haven't had a gauge on it. According to Acres the saw takes a 16:1 mix..that would actually raise the compression a bit from what I've been using, 32:1.
A friend showed me a little trick to get a low compression saw to start, just put about a thimble full of oil in the spark plug hole and pull the rope several times. It worked on my weed eater!

Update: the saw has plenty of spark. I poured some gas down the carburetor and cranked it over several times and it came to life...briefly. Tried it again and the same thing. So I guess in my spare time I'll try to go through the fuel system. I believe the saw has enough compression to run although I haven't had a gauge on it. According to Acres the saw takes a 16:1 mix..that would actually raise the compression a bit from what I've been using, 32:1.
A friend showed me a little trick to get a low compression saw to start, just put about a thimble full of oil in the spark plug hole and pull the rope several times. It worked on my weed eater!

Yes, that will work until it runs long enough to burn the oil. Don't ask me how I know. Tom

Happy to be back on everytime i tried to access the site in the last few days it would let me on and just said that they were preforming updates come back in 1-2 hours.... so annoying but u got to have the updates i guess.

congrats to all the new saws to everyone (to many to name individually.)

travel safe everyone that is traveling currently/shortly.

Yes, that will work until it runs long enough to burn the oil. Don't ask me how I know. Tom

Don't ask me why but it worked on the Weedeater and once I got it started the first time I don't have to do that anymore. Maybe it just needed to seat the rings or something. That's not the problem with the 1-40, it has enough compression. I took the carburetor apart and, although it was clean, the gaskets and diaphragms were really brittle so I'm gonna try to get a kit for it tomorrow. I went ahead and gave the carb another cleaning just in case there was any dirt the former owner missed. It would have been nice if he'd put a kit in it while he had it apart, but then it wouldn't have been for sale.

I've just bought a McCulloch 110, would it be considered a classic, since it was made between 1977 and 1983, I'm probably going to refurbish it and use as a secondary "spare" chainsaw.

Aled - The 110 is a Mini Mac which don't usually get warm fuzzies from a lot of guys. They can be nice little saws, but are a bit more difficult to work on as the whole engine has to come out of the case to access the carburetor.

Cliff & others - There are in fact guards that can go around the chain on the big gear drive saws, I have examples for either bar mount position. They do help keep the chips & oil from getting everywhere, but also tend to suffer a lot of abuse if the saw gets heavy use.

186670d1307528851-mcculloch-1-85-jpg

186671d1307528876-mcculloch-55-2-jpg

Mark

I've just bought a McCulloch 110, would it be considered a classic, since it was made between 1977 and 1983, I'm probably going to refurbish it and use as a secondary "spare" chainsaw.

I think the 110 is one of the better Mini-Macs, it's one that has electronic ignition and the better starter. Some of the older Mini-Mac starters wouldn't take much abuse.

Latest posts

Back