McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like yesterday was a MAC day! :msp_w00t:

My measly haul

100MEDIA_IMAG1364-2.jpg

Do I spy 360cc of McMuscle there Randy (or are there more than three saws)???:D

The fine thread DSP valve is easy and cheap to replace. When they won't stay open while cranking, it's time to replace them. I wouldn't eliminate the DSP valve with a bolt, as the starter parts on these saws are somewhat marginal for a high compression 82cc saw. The DSP valve takes a lot of the strain off of them. Remember that they're the same parts that were designed for the 54cc saws. The later saws without a DSP valve (PM800) have the 'Q port' exhaust port to lessen the strain on the starter parts (although the DSP valve is more effective at doing this job).....

I only find stuff popping up on ebay doing a part number search on the internet. People are asking $18-25 for the valves which would be about $30 delivered. Do you have any cheaper sources you would not mind sharing? I hate spending so much for such small parts!

Well, I picked up the 2.5 liter HF ultrasonic cleaner... first tests were done on spent .30 Carbine brass. Works very well, much easier than cleaning cases by hand, which I'm sure some of you have done...

Once this lot of 50 cases is done, the flat back carb goes in next. The cleaning solution I'm using right now is about 75% tap water, 2% dish soap (not dishwasher soap, such as Cascade, etc.) and about 23% white vinegar.

It's cleaning the cases inside and out. However, it does not polish them... just cleans them.

I figure I will try running the carb through it a few times, without even taking the welsh plugs out. Might be able get the passages and everything clean without going through that trouble. After all, I have read of some leaving the welsh plugs in and just throwing the carb in for a few cycles.

question. i've got this 1-80 with a mac carb " acers" say's. looks like a Tillotson HL . are carb kits readily avalable . or is there a good swap for these " ie" less cranky. or just be patient with it. as i go threw these yellow beasts i see a lot of this style carb. thanks, fraser.

question. i've got this 1-80 with a mac carb " acers" say's. looks like a Tillotson HL . are carb kits readily avalable . or is there a good swap for these " ie" less cranky. or just be patient with it. as i go threw these yellow beasts i see a lot of this style carb. thanks, fraser.

If it's a Tilly HL you lucky.
Kits are plentiful and the carbs
work so much better than the Mac
flatback.

Lee

Well, a lot of people complain about these carbs being "Faultbacks" and always say to go right to a Tilly and forget about the Mac carb.

If it came with a Tilly, stick with it.

If not... it might be worth looking at putting one in.

I can't say for sure if it is worth the trouble of a Mac carb until I figure out what it takes to get the one I have working properly. We'll find out sometime tomorrow. I'm gonna ultrasonic the hell out of it tonight (put the carb in a few minutes ago)) and see if any crud shows up. I disassembled it short of taking the welsh plugs out and removing the throttle rod/butterfly.

If this thing still doesn't work right, then I will pull the welsh plugs and try running it though the US cleaner again.

If that doesn't do it, then the flat back is gonna be torn down for parts and the main body will be shot with a .45, or maybe the .357 Magnum. And then I'll throw a Tilly in and be done with it. Well, the flat back will get destroyed if the Tilly does fix the problem.

We'll see soon...

have not pulled the carb yet. but it aint a flat back. they have a round diafram . tried running three today, run on prime . maybe a good cleanout will take care of it. the saw has been stored for a long time with out fuel or oil . just won't draw fuel. so i'll pull the carb tonite and see.

Last edited:
attachment.php
carb on the 1-80. and as a side note. i did a headcount of yellow. and i'm at 100 mac's :clap: not including some mac6's and mini's. now to pair down some repeats and get some more to complete the accumulation. :msp_rolleyes: it's a good vice.:msp_wink:

attachment.php
carb on the 1-80. and as a side note. i did a headcount of yellow. and i'm at 100 mac's :clap: not including some mac6's and mini's. now to pair down some repeats and get some more to complete the accumulation. :msp_rolleyes: it's a good vice.:msp_wink:

Fraser, there's a stamping in the carb casting, near the top. Near where it bolts up to the intake .... what does the stamping say?

Here they are. The 10-10S and the PM800 both run, two pulls for the 800 and 4 for the 10-10S...

I didn't try the 610 or the 300 but the 300 is equipped with the Tillotson HL63.

Lots of misc gaskets on the pieces of plywood. That brown looking thing in front of the PM6 box is one of those "Keep Indiana Green with McCulloch Chain Saws". I am not sure yet what I will do with the parts rack but I expect I will find something. I started out this week looking for a couple of the "full wrap" style handles for the Super 33's in the attic but only found a couple of the standard ones, plus a few more handles.

Lots more goodies in the boxes including a NOS cylinder for the SP81 and a +0.020" 795 cylinder and a couple of the DSP valves for the 795 block.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

I really could use that handlebar for my DE 80. Someone before me cut the full wrap off to mount a bow bar. Could you hook me up?

Well, a lot of people complain about these carbs being "Faultbacks" and always say to go right to a Tilly and forget about the Mac carb.

If it came with a Tilly, stick with it.

If not... it might be worth looking at putting one in.

I can't say for sure if it is worth the trouble of a Mac carb until I figure out what it takes to get the one I have working properly. We'll find out sometime tomorrow. I'm gonna ultrasonic the hell out of it tonight (put the carb in a few minutes ago)) and see if any crud shows up. I disassembled it short of taking the welsh plugs out and removing the throttle rod/butterfly.

If this thing still doesn't work right, then I will pull the welsh plugs and try running it though the US cleaner again.

If that doesn't do it, then the flat back is gonna be torn down for parts and the main body will be shot with a .45, or maybe the .357 Magnum. And then I'll throw a Tilly in and be done with it. Well, the flat back will get destroyed if the Tilly does fix the problem.

We'll see soon...

Don't shoot it, send it back to me. There's Super 797 test stand waitin' on it, lol.

Well, I ran the carb though the US cleaner about a dozen times, 8 minute cycles. Six or so of them were with the vinegar/soap/water, and the rest were with just water and soap.

Now to take the carb out and let it soak in gas. Then tomorrow will be the reinstall and test day.

There was a lot of crud in the bottom of the US cleaner after the first two runs, but a little bit of it was the sealant from over the welsh plugs. Also, the solution was very cloudy. Maybe there was so much varnish in the high side check ball/sintered element area that it worked okay, but didn't let enough fuel through?

Charles, do you know if this carb has ever gotten the check ball kit installed?

And if it really does end up being a huge waste of money to get it working right, then I will never deal with a flat back again. Chances are it will need more money dumped into it. If nothing fixes it, then parts are gonna be pulled and the main carb body will be executed. Really.

As for adjusting these flatbacks, just how frigging finicky are they? 1/32 of a turn or something stupid like that?

Last edited:
Old Macs...

I've got a McCulloch 35 that My grandfather bought new in '63 and it was the saw I learned on... I loved my 346xp before it burned up (truck fire) BUT every time that Mac comes to life, it makes me smile! The starter broke however ...:bang: I always thought I was a decent mechanic (B-1 Bombers and KC-135R's) BUT, I have YET to get that starter right...:msp_thumbdn: I may be picking up a 440 Mac soon that I saw on CL...:hmm3grin2orange: I still want a SP125C though...

Latest posts

Back