McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Compression test was low, about 110. Like you all, I always make sure the plug is tight and the decomp is working before assuming worse.

DSP appeared to be working however closer inspection revealed some issues:

This is the orginal vs. the replacement.

280903d1361649788-510-valve-2-jpg

View attachment 280903

I did get very lucky as the broken piece simply dropped out when I turned the saw over. Its hard to tell if the sealing surface on the jug has been worn. A flashlight inspection seems to indicate I got lucky, though there is a "spot" cleaner than the rest.

280913d1361651817-012-1024x768-jpg

View attachment 280913

Joey(mt) sent me a couple of DSP powerheads for parts, which I broke down...(Joey, you the man...as discussed)

280914d1361651951-joeys-goodie-bag-jpg

View attachment 280914

However, there are some pretty big differences between the small cc DSP saws and the larger ones...

280922d1361652107-510-vs-dsp-valve-jpg

View attachment 280922

As you can see, a sizeable difference in circumference (5-10 on the right) and length.

Also, the 70cc class use a Inner and Outer spring vs only a "spring-sheild" on the lower cc models.

280923d1361652257-510-valve-out-jpg

View attachment 280923

More...

Last edited:
I’ve said it before: 5 cube MAC never leave home without one.

I was asked to buck this nice oak this morning, so I left my PM800 at home and took just a pair of 125s and a pair of small Stihls. Betty (32” full comp .404 8 pin 125C) got a nice workout. Only took just over 1 tank. I love that saw. Well thought out design and enough power I can put all my 230+#s against it and she just keeps going.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ron
View attachment 280980View attachment 280981View attachment 280982View attachment 280983View attachment 280984

I need to come down there and play with you for a weekend. Best use of a creamsicle I've seen, intentional or not..

I need to come down there and play with you for a weekend. Best use of a creamsicle I've seen, intentional or not..

Come on down. Some Saturdays are more fun than others. Last Saturday, I mainly hauled wood. I did cut up a nice 18" cherry tree and an 18" red oak snag with the PM800 but no photos. I still have a 3' red oak to buck sometime and 4'+ red oak tree to fall and buck. Ron

And, on a continuing subject, I stopped on my way home from the airport to see a guy about some chainsaw bars and odds and ends of chain. I picked up 8 bars altogether and low and behold, several had the two kinds of adapters / spacers that I had mentioned a few days ago to mount a 3/8" slot bar on a saw with 5/16" bar studs as in large frame McCulloch bar on a 10 Series saw.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And here is a truly "one size fits all".

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Last edited:
Very nice job Ron, it must be a real treat to get to run the saws so frequently.

Mark

Mark, I have so much fun at times that I almost feel guilty. Firewood cutting is also my exercise program. I am just now getting in shape enough to wrangle the 125s for multiple tanks. With trees this big it sure was nice to have a couple of tractors with front-end loaders to do the loading. Ron

Ron you have too much fun. Bucking those huge trees must be super! Especially hardwoods. Thanks for the photos. Nice job. What FIREWOOD!

Back