McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
while no where as cool as a 8200, I did pick up a few yellow saws today.

Photo0799_zps259a759b.jpg

The big one is a 790 and if I can free it up it will get built with the spare 740 or it will be parts for my 740. the other one is a regular 10-10 in rough shape, I pretty much grabbed it for its brake parts.

Nice score again Jim. I may be able to help you with parts for your 740 and 790.

Nice score Jim. I'd go for fixing the 790
at 103cc's as the 740 has 99cc's. The 790's
are nice runners. 740 i'm sure would do well
also but never run one.

Lee

VI Super Mini SL

Nice score Jim. I'd go for fixing the 790
at 103cc's as the 740 has 99cc's. The 790's
are nice runners. 740 i'm sure would do well
also but never run one.

Lee

That's the first one I've seen a picture of other than the one on acres site. This would be a very last version of the very popular home owner saw. I have 3 of the earlier ones, (non chain brake) and really like them. The VI stands for anti-vibe isolation or 'vibration isolation'. I would pay a lot more than $30.00 if I had the chance, runner or not.

Good luck, buy it and have fun!

Lee:rock::rock::rock:

Not sure why AS put my response here, it should have gone to the Homelite thread?

Last edited:
Morning gentlemen.

I posted about a 1-71 for sale locally about a week ago. I got in touch with the guy, but he was in the process of disassembling it and trying to get it running. Wanted me to wait a couple of days to see if he could get it going. He couldn't, and I'm going to go have a look this afternoon. Sounds like a saw in a box now, and I don't care much for puzzles. It was unmolested previously and all together. I'm thinking $25-$50 at most. Can't see paying more when it was disassembled by a guy who is evidently not mechanic material.

Morning gentlemen.

I posted about a 1-71 for sale locally about a week ago. I got in touch with the guy, but he was in the process of disassembling it and trying to get it running. Wanted me to wait a couple of days to see if he could get it going. He couldn't, and I'm going to go have a look this afternoon. Sounds like a saw in a box now, and I don't care much for puzzles. It was unmolested previously and all together. I'm thinking $25-$50 at most. Can't see paying more when it was disassembled by a guy who is evidently not mechanic material.

Perfect for checking out the internals. Look into the bore, check the feel of the bearings. If the FW and clutch are removed check out the condition of the crank ends. Probably to late to check compression, so look for blow by on the piston skirt, thru the exhaust port. Keep your poker face on and get yourself a project saw. Oh, and see if the guy still has the bar guide plates. Price depends on condition.

He had put it back together. It felt like it had good compression and it did appear complete, with a McCulloch bar. He didn't want to take less than $80, and I didn't want to gamble that much on it, so I came home empty handed. I have enough projects as it is anyway.

Does gb or oregon make a replaceable tip bar tor the sp125? If so what is the mount #? I have a 42 inch bar on my mac sp125c and for all intensive purposes it is too big. I am looking for a 28 inch .063 .404 so I can use it for felling and bucking the smaller stuff.

Thanks -Alex

Does gb or oregon make a replaceable tip bar tor the sp125? If so what is the mount #? I have a 42 inch bar on my mac sp125c and for all intensive purposes it is too big. I am looking for a 28 inch .063 .404 so I can use it for felling and bucking the smaller stuff.

Thanks -Alex

Alex, there is a ten series 28" .404 listed on eBay regularly (the wider belly black bar). You can mill, grind or file the slot to fit the 125. Personally the 32/33" black MAC bar is my favorite bar on the 125. Balances well and fits in the truck. Ron

but..

In addition to the 10 Series bar (takes 15 or 20 minutes with a file to make it fit the big saws) there are NOS 24" bars with replaceable sprockets listed for $30 but you would have to change the sprocket to .404.

McCulloch Chainsaw 24" Bar | eBay

Mark

..what model(s?) exactly is this bar originally designated for?

Thanks

Jo.

Last edited:
That bar will fit any of the large frame saws from the D-30 up through the SP125C as long as they have the screw and dog chain tension device in the clutch cover. They will not fit the older saw that use the screw fixe to the oil tank with the oversize head that fits a slot in the bar for adjustment.

Mark

How hard is it going to be to find a PM 850 cylinder? I think the piston is usable, just needs rings.
Would also need crank bearings and seals. Worth doing?
The saw sat for an extended period of time with the plug removed. Moisture in the crank area rusted the crank bearings and the plating on the cylinder is flaking off. Shame, the P&C would be good if not for the neglect...

Also if I did go 3/8 should I go with an 8 pin? Sorry for all the q's, Just trying to get a grasp on how I want to set this saw up.

Thanks -Alex

What if I was to go with something like this and put a 3/8 rim on the saw? Would the .404 cut faster than the 3/8? Would I have to drill the small oiler hole like the n.o.s. bar? McCulloch 28" Bar 655 700 800 805 850 1 10 2 10 3 10 4 10 | eBay

Also if I did go 3/8 should I go with an 8 pin? Sorry for all the q's, Just trying to get a grasp on how I want to set this saw up.

Thanks -Alex

3/8 chain is for lesser saws. .404 is still easily obtainable as well as bars, check your local small engine shop for used bars, the large McCulloch or Homelite mount will work just make sure it is .63 gauge, tips can be changed out. I am going to put on a .404 8 pin on my SP and run bars from 28-42 inches. .404 will cut faster on the 125 than 3/8 because of the bigger bite .404 has and really I could see no reason to even put 3/8 on it other than for the narrower kerf in a milling situation which we should never see.

Most all these big cube saws came with 404 chain.
Although i have seen a few that were set up with 3/8
chain. If you wanted to stick with 3/8, an 8 pin rim
will be fine. It may even pull a 9 pin rim depending
on the type of wood your cutting.
I have to disagree with others about cutting speed.
In most cases 3/8 will out cut 404 chain. The 3/8
takes a narrower kurf and will have more cutters than
404. I've run both 3/8 and 404 on saws like SP125's,
166's and Homelite 750's and they cut really well on
short and long bars.

Lee

Latest posts

Back