McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know what kind of carb they used in the D36? I've not seen one like this and suspect it may have been unique to the D30/D36. The fuel pump diaphragm and gasket seem to be unobtanium, but amazingly when I checked my small stash of inventory I bought out from an ace hardware store, I happened to have one diaphragm and 2 gaskets for it. Just missing the metering diaphragm 55067. Unlike the other diaphragm and gasket, it matches the number for the diaphragm in the flatback. I hope I don't have to buy a whole flatback kit just for that diaphragm. Anyways, the problem is that the saw seems to be stupid rich, and doesn't seem to respond to adjustment. I really can't think of anything but the carb that would cause that.
D36carb2_zpsd5967cce.jpg

D36carb_zpsfb27b1ec.jpg

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/234023.htm

I have d30+d36 Both came with til.HL
and running well.

E.

Does anyone know where I can get new 795 crankshaft seals or am I stuck with nos. Also I am in need of a clutch spring the one that is on it is getting lazy. Thanks.

Does anyone know what kind of carb they used in the D36? I've not seen one like this and suspect it may have been unique to the D30/D36. The fuel pump diaphragm and gasket seem to be unobtanium, but amazingly when I checked my small stash of inventory I bought out from an ace hardware store, I happened to have one diaphragm and 2 gaskets for it. Just missing the metering diaphragm 55067. Unlike the other diaphragm and gasket, it matches the number for the diaphragm in the flatback. I hope I don't have to buy a whole flatback kit just for that diaphragm. Anyways, the problem is that the saw seems to be stupid rich, and doesn't seem to respond to adjustment. I really can't think of anything but the carb that would cause that.
D36carb2_zpsd5967cce.jpg

D36carb_zpsfb27b1ec.jpg

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/234023.htm

buda65; I don't know what the inside of your carb looks like but when I have a carb that floods I lower the needle valve lever a little. Most of these carbs start with the lever flush with the carb body and adjust from there. Only adjust, about, one sixtyfourth inch at a time. Or, start where you are and adjust down 1/64" at a time.

ODW

Last edited:
I recently went through a D-30 for a friend, I was surprised that the gasket and diaphragms were in very good condition and only needed a decent cleaning.

That particular model uses a ball rather than a needle for the metering valve. Hopefully it is just a matter of cleaning up the ball and the seat to prevent leakage and your rich condition. If you need a new 1/8" steel ball you can buy a pack of 100 from McMaster-Carr for $2.90 + shipping.

I have a few NOS fuel pump diaphragms (mylar type, not neoprene) and a gasket or two. I don't know if the regular flat back metering diaphragm actually works or not. I agree they have the same part number, well the later ones have a letter suffix, but they sure don't look the same in the IPL's.

Mark

Does anyone know where I can get new 795 crankshaft seals or am I stuck with nos. Also I am in need of a clutch spring the one that is on it is getting lazy. Thanks.

I live near Portland Or., so this is one of the local bearing supply houses Applied.com Industrial Supply, Industrial Bearings, Material Handling, Power Transmission, Fluid Power Products | Applied Industrial Technologies | Applied.com | Applied.com
Or you can use google and order online if you are positive of the sizes you need.

Am working on a 790, I tossed the invoice, but the sizes I purchased are: 17X30X7 for the PTO side
And 20X35X7 for the FW side. The total part No. is TCM PART 20X35X7TC-BX, for example.
I kept the boxes for future reference. Hope this helps.

I live near Portland Or., so this is one of the local bearing supply houses Applied.com Industrial Supply, Industrial Bearings, Material Handling, Power Transmission, Fluid Power Products | Applied Industrial Technologies | Applied.com | Applied.com
Or you can use google and order online if you are positive of the sizes you need.

Am working on a 790, I tossed the invoice, but the sizes I purchased are: 17X30X7 for the PTO side
And 20X35X7 for the FW side. The total part No. is TCM PART 20X35X7TC-BX, for example.
I kept the boxes for future reference. Hope this helps.

Thanks diesel, I will look into it.:msp_biggrin:

Hey All,

Went to Ben's house (C SAW 090) over the weekend, shot the s**t, cut some cookies with the Super Pro...

Ben on the saw:

[video=youtube;kKxGNkKXkro]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kKxGNkKXkro[/video]

She cuts good, wish the carb was adjustable!

Picked up a new "Old Girl" while I was there, more on that later:rock:

-Andy

I put a fully adjustable carburetor with a larger bore on one of mine (came off a CP70), it does make it turn more RPM. For a work saw, I use the one with the fixed H jet to make sure it never gets too lean, still makes some chips.

attachment.php

Mark

You saying that the CP-70 carb fits the 125... with or without and modifications? What was that model number?

The CP70 came with an SDC18, .750 venture and .812 throttle bore. If I recall correctly, the standard carburetor on the SP125 was a Tillotson HS model with a .625 venture and .750 throttle bore.

The SDC18 is not a drop in replacement as the impulse for the CP70 comes through the carburetor flange and the SP125 has a separate impulse line. I happened to have a spare cover and a fitting I could add to create the impulse fitting for the conversion. The choke does not connect and adjusting the SDC19 in the SP125 is not easy.

There are also SDC19, SDC20, and SDC22 models with the larger venture and throttle bore, only the SDC20 used on the CP125 have the "external" impulse fitting. The SDC19 was used on certain 795L and Super 797 models, the SDC22 was used on certain Super 2-10C models. I expect the SDC20 would be a drop in replacement, the others would require some modifications to work on the SP125.

Mark

Another 10 series

This was a fun little project that I finished while waiting for parts to arrive for the 790....
A PM 55, stripped it down to the bare block and polished up the exhaust port, new rings, new seals, the crank bearings were as smooth as silk. No Mcc yellow paint on the block:hmm3grin2orange:
I only had to clean up the greasy side, both tanks were almost spotless. I bought this one as a parts donor, it was missing the recoil cover and muffler. So I was very pleased to see the clean bore. The piston has a vertical scar where it ingested something foreign. The rings were trashed. Also it came with a brand new air filter and fuel line!! Not bad for $12.50.
I "borrowed" a 10 series recoil and muff, and got it to fire on the third pull after a prime. So monday nite the clouds lifted enough, I got to make some test cuts, and adjust the carb. It sounds and pulls real good for a 10-. I might just have to keep it, instead of flipping it.....

attachment.php

attachment.php

A nice running PM55 with a 16" bar is almost as much fun to run as an 82 cc variant with a 24 or 28" bar. I have one with a NOS cylinder and piston that is really a great little saw. I did install a clutch cover with a brake as I found myself walking the line when I was whipping it around in the tops of downed trees.

Mark

Mark, so far I am pleased with the performance. I plan to run two tanks of fuel, intermittent use, before I work it real hard.
At last count I have NINE ten series saws! I originally bought this one (two for $25) as a parts saw. I just can't walk away from a cheapo 10-xx McCulloch.

Latest posts

Back