McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My latest project saw off evilbay is a 250. It came with a 26" (Mall #40522M) hardnose bar. .058" guage. New (!) loop of 1/2" (!!!) Mc branded chain.

This pup going to pull that? :msp_unsure:

Nope, not got him running yet. But, he wants to.

Got to wait for some 3M weatherstrip glue to dry.

My latest project saw off evilbay is a 250. It came with a 26" (Mall #40522M) hardnose bar. .058" guage. New (!) loop of 1/2" (!!!) Mc branded chain.

This pup going to pull that? :msp_unsure:

Nope, not got him running yet. But, he wants to.

Got to wait for some 3M weatherstrip glue to dry.

That 1/2" chain is probably worth as much or more as the engine!! Go easy on the rakers and it should pull the chain. Or go 404 and keep the 1/2" chain for a gear-drive.

Spur sprocket/drum. And not worn very much to boot.

The Tilly HL only had diaphrams, no gaskets, and the metering lever was set way below chamber floor. Corrected that.

Must be an early 250 as it has a stack exhaust.

Early 250 saws ( 1962-1963 ) didn't have stack exhaust. They had round mufflers. Stack mufflers came in for 1964. Early 250 saws also use thin rings.

Nick

PS- I am running a 30 inch rroller Mac bar with 1/2 inch chain on my early thin ring 250

Whoo, that was close. We were over 24 hours with no yellow picture or red picture.

I just sold this cinder block for $175. Not too bad

6u5e8a8e.jpg

epyhy6e8.jpg

jynazu2a.jpg

I could say the same to you Ted, but I've seen the photos in advance...

Mark

But we haven't... pony up Ted.

Ya know, peer pressure usually doesn't work on me very well. You guys must have caught me at a weak moment. A few members here know I've been looking for an SP60 for awhile. I was actually able to arrange to get two. I'll not name the AS members that assisted, They can identify themselves if they wish. But the whole thing wouldn't have been possible without their help. I will assist these guys in any way I am able, should they ever need it! That's one thing that is terrific and unique about our online community here ... We help each other out!

Saw #1: Was spotted by a member here and he alerted by via PM, while a second member was posting the info to the CL/eBay thread. Meanwhile, a 3rd member was emailing me the same info while a 4th member was creating an entirely new thread about it. I PM'd member #2 and he checked out the saw, picked it up and shipped it. I'm going to really clean this one down and give it the full treatment like I did my SP81. It has the factory 'cold weather kit' and the front hand guard is also factory issue. I've also managed to locate an optional rear handle brace and hand guard (similar to and Echo twin or PP 655). This saw is in transit now.

Saw #2: During my searching, I did send out a few PMs to members I know have some Macs. The sort of ".. hey, do you have a project or know where there is one? .." type of thing. One member had this saw that was a runner until an Oak tree used it for a 'tent spike.' I was able to locate a replacement tank and lower brace from yet another resourceful member. I need to assess this one to see how far I want to go past a full cleaning. I'll be picking this saw up in about a week and a half.

Last edited:
Is there a thread on your SP81 rebuild? Mine needs to be torn down for a crank replacement, but I've been too preoccupied (lazy?) with other stuff to do much searching on the subject. And honestly, it's also a little bit intimidating since I've not gotten very far into working on these older saws yet...and I've acquired a bunch of em over the past year and need to get my butt in gear and fix a few up...starting with my SP81!

:cheers:

Is there a thread on your SP81 rebuild? Mine needs to be torn down for a crank replacement, but I've been too preoccupied (lazy?) with other stuff to do much searching on the subject. And honestly, it's also a little bit intimidating since I've not gotten very far into working on these older saws yet...and I've acquired a bunch of em over the past year and need to get my butt in gear and fix a few up...starting with my SP81!

:cheers:

I didn't do a rebuild on the SP81, just cleaned it very well and painted many parts. It was really a low-hour saw and I didn't see the need to do a full rebuild. I will be doing a full rebuild on my PM800 and will do a thread on that process. I hope you find it to be of some help. Here's a pic of my SP81:

Whoo, that was close. We were over 24 hours with no yellow picture or red picture.

I just sold this cinder block for $175. Not too bad

6u5e8a8e.jpg

epyhy6e8.jpg

jynazu2a.jpg

How do you sleep at night???

Just kidding, that saw looks real clean, If it runs as good as it looks, someone will have a descent firewood saw.

Jonny903 sells approx. one a month, for that $ and more.

Yeah, they look like new when done. He "adds" a bit of terminology the the model name like "Super 610" "Black Max" and such. He writes quite a lengthy description, and his sell prices reflect the hype.

Latest posts

Back