McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fechtichmac

Did you cut down a tree that held some kid's treehouse.:cry:

IMG_0228.JPG

I had a treehouse sixty years ago.;)

ODW

Last edited:
Another post for Todd. After cutting cookies, I did cut this tree down and cut it up.

jevusebu.jpg

3y7eqary.jpg

good to see an old Mac doing what it was designed to do. Not a picture of it cleaned up on the workbench, not a video of cutting cookies and squabbling over how fast or slow it is compared to the latest Stihlavarna, just putting lumber on the ground. Gotta love it!

Forgive the interruption, but...

...I just can't help myself from gloating a bit over this spiffy all shiny clean on the workbench new cookie cutter I ran across locally yesterday. An exceptionally nice S-250 that ya just don't find every day in my neck o' the woods.

Now if I could just find a worthy stump to set it on for a more natural looking photo op.

LatestCam 091.jpg

As you were, Todd.:)

Several years ago I was given a 80's PowerMac 380 with auto sharp. It had not run in 15 years but after flushing it with kerosene and working on it a bit, I got it running like new. I recently did a muff-mod on it, tuned it, and it really screams but I can not get it to oil. I removed the oiler and cleaned it up (thinking it was gummy) but it still will not oil, not even with the manual oiler. What am I missing here, I do not believe the saw has many hours on it and it starts in 2 pulls every single time.

I've got a 310, and have read in many places that if the manual oiler doesn't work, the most likely problem is the oil line inside the oil tank. I'm only guessing, but maybe turning it upside down and trying the manual oiler would show if the break is inside the tank or outside the tank. It didn't sound like a very quick fix to get at that tank line, either, so I bet a big teardown is in order.

Scott in Penfield NY

Very nice saw

Thank you. I'll try to post a few more pics to show how nice it really is. It was one of those blind CL 'make offer' deals with no phone number, etc., but the pics were good and all I needed to see. I was the first response to the ad by email and got it for $200. By far one of my nicest Macs to date.

Got a distress call tonight from the wood ministry. Asked that I bring one of my MACs. Seems that their Husky 3120XP couldn't finish the job. o_O So if all goes well. I'll see a little SP125C action on Saturday.:chainsaw: Ron

PS: I have another task to add to my list of things not to do without my reading glasses. I decided to make up a spare .404 chain for Saturday - just needed to add 6 drive links to a new loop I got off fleabay. I counted them off, made sure my cutters would match up and cut off a 6 link section from a short piece I had. Put the first end together only to discover that I had attached the short piece backwards so I had to take it apart. Then I noticed that I had also viewed it backwards when I cut it so now I have a chain with 2 right cutters followed by a left cutter and then two more right cutters. I don't think the 125 will care but I sure felt silly.:dizzy:

Some people count these as junk saws. They will outwork alot of the newer saws that are the same cc and take alot of abuse.

They are one of my lesser liked Macs. They will take abuse though and seem to last a long time. If you say "out work" meaning wood on the ground during a days work... The 610 will loose pretty bad compared to a same displacement modern saw. It will also tire the operator more over that same time of work. If you say "out work" meaning tough cutting conditions like over sized bars, heavy handed operators, and over all general abuse... Then yes, they will hold their own. Probably still won't make someone sell their modern saw and only use 600 series. I'd take a 610 over a big box store cheap saw any day.

Disclaimer: that's just my opinion and personal experience after having run probably 100 different saws.

The second "out work" is exactly it. I run skip chain on mine and at times it feels like it will vibrate the fillings out. To run one of these more than about 30min is dedication. I use mine for bucking and some felling. I've dropped a tree on it broke some of the caseing my other one I ran it till it was so hot it would prob boil water let it cool and it ran fine afterwards.

Well put Joey . i don't see them outperforming any modern saw under any circumstances but they'll outdo a pos box store wonder . in my opinion the best part about them is that sooner or later you'll find one for the price of a case of beer or less. they're fine for homeowner firewood on the cheap but i wouldn't put more than $20 into one. id take a pm700 plus a pair of gloves over one anyday.

...I just can't help myself from gloating a bit over this spiffy all shiny clean on the workbench new cookie cutter I ran across locally yesterday. An exceptionally nice S-250 that ya just don't find every day in my neck o' the woods.

Now if I could just find a worthy stump to set it on for a more natural looking photo op.

View attachment 328140

Well, go make a stump or two!

Now, I'm glad i stirred things up here, but let me clarify, please. When it comes to actually showing saws in action, the Mac guys are head and shoulders above some of the other saw owners on this forum. Most of us like them in their work clothes, but also appreciate the awesome restorations to be sure. And most of the guys with Yellow Fever don't ask about porting or speed in a 10" cant. They will wear you out in a short time, but gawd, ain't they exciting to run? I still like my 10 series for firewood over anything, and I got access to several new saws. I just need some time to get in the woods and work up a cord or two. I'm getting restless.

View attachment 328140

Suuuuuper!!

That's why I have so many 10 series. They can still hang with modern firewood saws. Plus what's the rush. I enjoy cutting wood. It makes me sad at the end when you hit the kill switch and put it back on the shelf.

fechtichmac

I'm glad you can take a little ribbing.;)

I don't think anyone else noticed the makeshift ladder rungs nailed to the tree you feld.:chop:

ODW

this pic. last summer IMG_0169.JPG no Problem!!
Asked the owner for this strange ladder,decades ago they made this to get to a crow nest on top of the tree!?
This spruce was ca.35 m tall,trunk is 5cubic meters.
E.;)
fechtichmac

I'm glad you can take a little ribbing.;)

I don't think anyone else noticed the makeshift ladder rungs nailed to the tree you feld.:chop:

ODW

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back