McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are gonna like this,I called Bob J.about getting a new oil tank for the PM700.He said they never made a replacement tank,I need to get a used tank from another 700 that has a trashed engine.Fortunately for me he has a used one on hand.This will be a project that won't be happening for a couple of months yet as it's wood cutting season right now & I've got other saws on the bench & others waiting to get there.I might be able to work at it in small increments now & then.
Ed

You mean a broken spider?From what I could see with it still on the saw nothing is broken,springs,& shoes are good,but you might be right about the spider.I have no idea what would cause the spider to break.
Ed.
Yes, the spider. Overtightening might be the only thing to break it. Ive broken one on a right hand start clutch once. Used an impact driver and it cracked. Never broke a lefty though. Its possible.
The other thing might be the 2 "spreaders", ill call them. Wont know until you pop it off the saw though.

Yes, the spider. Overtightening might be the only thing to break it. Ive broken one on a right hand start clutch once. Used an impact driver and it cracked. Never broke a lefty though. Its possible.
The other thing might be the 2 "spreaders", ill call them. Wont know until you pop it off the saw though.
I've never touched the clutch on this saw,so I know I didn't do anything to cause it to break.
Ed

Yes, pm800, 805, de80, 850s. Lots of body parts, muffler, bottom plate, clutch cover, clutch, tank, little parts to boot. But as mentioned the engine is different. Cylinder, oil tank is 6 bolt, piston, crank are non interchangeable.

Thats good to know. Looks like a need a chain brake handle and a couple of bar nuts. Hopefully my carb kit will be here tomorrow and I can see if it runs.

I pulled the clutch on the PM700,what a mess,broken spider & broken spindles on the other side where the rim fit on.I never saw anything like it before.
Also,I took a compression test on it & to tell the truth I'm surprised the saw even ran.On 5 pulls it only had 80# & on 10 pulls it only had 115# compression.I called Bob J.& cancelled my parts order for it.As far as I'm concerned the saw is now a parts saw (what few parts are left).Good old Feebay for ya.
Ed

You would have had the crankcase apart anyway to replace the oil tank, I would have just tossed a set of rings in it.
A clutch should be easy to find.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You guys are gonna like this,I called Bob J.about getting a new oil tank for the PM700.He said they never made a replacement tank,I need to get a used tank from another 700 that has a trashed engine.Fortunately for me he has a used one on hand.This will be a project that won't be happening for a couple of months yet as it's wood cutting season right now & I've got other saws on the bench & others waiting to get there.I might be able to work at it in small increments now & then.
Ed

Same with the 7-10 tank I got from him.

You would have had the crankcase apart anyway to replace the oil tank, I would have just tossed a set of rings in it.
A clutch should be easy to find.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
^ This, and maybe seals while you're there.

I had a feebay saw that had the clutch engaged all the time. Took it apart and it was cracked in the middle as well having one of the spiders snapped clean off and jammed in there. Not sure WTF they were doing with that poor thing to do that to it... Sudden chain jam? New spider is easy enough though (and relatively cheap).

8200 pic of p/c

Attachments

• F63B61F1-09DA-4AD5-9BD0-E58BEA43ED0A.jpeg
    F63B61F1-09DA-4AD5-9BD0-E58BEA43ED0A.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 24
  • C7B3EAA3-8397-4D90-B66A-AE40B950B3F8.jpeg
    C7B3EAA3-8397-4D90-B66A-AE40B950B3F8.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 23
  • FA5660BD-AAF8-461B-A2D2-43828B76A09E.jpeg
    FA5660BD-AAF8-461B-A2D2-43828B76A09E.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 25
That doesn't look bad at all. Compression will be lower on the 'Q' port saws while just pulling over (according to my understanding of the 'Q' port theory) and go up at operational RPM's. That's what the 'Q' port is supposedly for -- depending who you talk to. I'd say your compression readings are about right. I'll hafta check mine to compare.

8200 pic of p/c
I can't tell from one picture if it the cylinder wall or the piston. The two that are clearly of the piston look fine to me. As to compression, 145 to 150 is good enough to run in my opinion. My 700 only has about 130 and it runs great. The 8200 I sent Mark's way measured around 120 to 130 and it needed some help.

The q-port does lessen the compression but IIRC all of my 800s and their varients (I have had a bunch) measured around 165 except two which were 170 and 170+. The few PM850s I owned all measured at least 175. However, I never measured the one 850 that Brian rebuilt for me, if he did I am sure he will chime in.

Ron

Since I went all in on prepping a number of 610 saws last week to get them off the floor, I decided to go through all of my 600 Series parts today so I'd know just what I have available. I did my best at organizing everything so I can find parts when I need them in the future rather than having to dig deep in a few large boxes. I'll show you what is in the BHE900 Moped box another day but suffice it to say McCulloch thought they'd produce them by the thousands.

20200413_193032.jpg

The three 610's and EB42 from last week plus a Timber Bear and I cleaned up today.

20200413_193041.jpg

After that I determined it was time get the other 600 saws I have in the attic cleaned up so I could move them over to the museum. I'll have my work cut out for me this week.

20200413_193049.jpg

I got started on this 655.

20200413_193058.jpg

Mark

I also uncovered these while looking for additional 600 Series air filters.

20200413_193122.jpg

20200413_193134.jpg

They don't have the wide rubber flange that the heavy flocked models do, but I think they will make a good replacement filter.

These are the same at the air filters supplied in carburetor conversion kits.

DSC03863.JPG

If you are interested in trying one please contact me by PM.

Mark

I can't tell from one picture if it the cylinder wall or the piston. The two that are clearly of the piston look fine to me. As to compression, 145 to 150 is good enough to run in my opinion. My 700 only has about 130 and it runs great. The 8200 I sent Mark's way measured around 120 to 130 and it needed some help.

The q-port does lessen the compression but IIRC all of my 800s and their varients (I have had a bunch) measured around 165 except two which were 170 and 170+. The few PM850s I owned all measured at least 175. However, I never measured the one 850 that Brian rebuilt for me, if he did I am sure he will chime in.

Ron
I was afraid of breaking the starter cover. But it had plenty.

Brian

Back