McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man I hate codominate trees.
@Brian Thacker ,one of our smarter Rangers made a potato gun to shoot a throw rope bag into trees . Might be a fun project for you and Ron? I use a "Big Shot" sling shot to fire my throw rope most of the time ,but they are expensive.
Those 10-10s Macs sure are a pleasure to cut with, I like the 55s and PM60 too for a short bar.

I have a friend who fishes with a bow. I am thinking about using that setup, not using a tip because I know I will wind up shooting it into the tree and not being able to retrieve my arrow. Ron and I's luck. We should call our post "The miss Adventures of Ron and Brian". Ha Ha Ha But we have a good time getting ourselves in these predicaments and get pretty inventive getting ourselves out of them. Ron can be very inventive.

I have a PM55 but it needs to be rebuilt. I damaged the original cylinder that had little time on it and purchased a used one and it wound up being worn out. Before I messed the cylinder up, that was a great saw. But the PM10-10S is a wonderful saw. I have 2 go to saws. My Pm800 and my PM10-10S. Both saws will start and run any time you ask them to and perform as well as any new saw. I have a .404 chain on my PM800 as well as Ron's and they will throw some chips. I have a couple modern saws, but my PM800 and PM10-10S are my go to saws. The SP125C is also a very good saw. Right now I need a piston for it and it will be back in operation. Another good little saw I have is my PM6. A great little saw. I use it around the house a lot.

Brian

Man I hate codominate trees.
@Brian Thacker ,one of our smarter Rangers made a potato gun to shoot a throw rope bag into trees . Might be a fun project for you and Ron? I use a "Big Shot" sling shot to fire my throw rope most of the time ,but they are expensive.
Those 10-10s Macs sure are a pleasure to cut with, I like the 55s and PM60 too for a short bar.
Don't get him going. Today, he was talking about getting back into climbing. And he was also talking fishing bows and some pole gadget they used in the telephone company. With your post, I can see a double barrel potato gun in our future - shoots a throw line out one barrel and a grappling hook out the other.

Those trees are tricky. I "pulled" the trigger, and nothing happen. I stuck the saw back in to show Brian that the cut was complete. So, I thinned the hinge which gave us the false start. Thank goodness for the three vines and Brian's creativity. Otherwise, we would be tracking down his friend with the fishing bows, or someone with a better throwing arm.

Ron

No. Its for a points ignition coil. That cylinder can use either coil. If its a points coil there needs to be a small barrel spacer to fit there of some sort. When the replacement cylinder was purchased it came with the spacer. Its just a small aluminum barrel. Anything that fits would work though. Several little washers stacked for example. As long as its the right height and has a hole for the bolt itll work.
By "earlier model" I meant one with points ignition coil. But thanks, good to know I haven't left something off.

Looking at this I'm guessing the points ignition coil uses the left and bottom holes?
Screenshot 2022-08-27 224838.png

Also, it looks like I'm missing the ground wire. It looks like it just goes from the top bolt (electronic ignition) to one of the terminals? 🤔

I’ve got a Poulan 245a and a McCulloch 6-10A both on the bench and this morning couldn’t help but notice the similarities in the design of both saws. They look close enough to be siblings. Was there any cross over in the designs of these two companies?

I think fishing bows have been tried ,but the line snaggs on branches too easy.
I did make one hell of a sling shot(wrist rocket)from exercise bands I found at a thrift store.
The possibilities are endless and most likely dangerous!
Dangerous????? I'm in lol

Quick question, did Mac 640's typically come with all nine main ports and the boost port drilled out? I was looking at the jug on mine the other day when I realized that it's utilizing all the ports (like a Super 250). Was that standard or did someone do a few modifications to the saw?

Dan - The 87 cc models normally had all of the ports open, the 80 cc models frequently had only two exhaust ports open.

EK - There are only so many ways to lay out a chainsaw with a horizontal cylinder, there are bound to be similarities in design and execution. Look at the +/- 54 cc Homelite, Lombard, and Remington saws, they look like they came out of the same mold.

Mark

Dan - The 87 cc models normally had all of the ports open, the 80 cc models frequently had only two exhaust ports open.

EK - There are only so many ways to lay out a chainsaw with a horizontal cylinder, there are bound to be similarities in design and execution. Look at the +/- 54 cc Homelite, Lombard, and Remington saws, they look like they came out of the same mold.

Mark
Acres says the 640 is 80cc, is it actually one of the 87cc models?

I stand corrected, the 640 (in spite of being in every appearance a gear drive version of the 440) is listed as 80 cc.

1661951093499.png

I do know from experience that all three exhaust ports are open on the one I worked on.

DSCN0453.jpg

I also know they will turn a few RPM unloaded...

DSCN0530.jpg

Mark

*Edit: A lot of 87+cc large frame saws had the third port induction which bypassed the reeds which I suspect is what you mean since you refer to s250 style ports. None of 80cc saws I have seen a part had the third port drilled, perhaps a boost for the gear drive saws (I don't have any large frame gear drives)?

I will shut up now then! Looks mighty like a boost port!

What saw is that? I should have been more careful, I was relating to the old front tank type saws (not 797 and the like which have the boost port) and that isn't what we were even talking about!

*Edit: A lot of 87+cc large frame saws had the third port induction which bypassed the reeds which I suspect is what you mean since you refer to s250 style ports. None of 80cc saws I have seen a part had the third port drilled, perhaps a boost for the gear drive saws (I don't have any large frame gear drives)?
By S250 style ports I mean 3 drilled exhaust ports, 3 drilled transfer ports, 3 drilled intake ports, and the auxiliary 10th port down the deep intake "slot" also drilled out. I'll try to get pics this coming Friday on my day off.

Latest posts

Back