McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave Bob Johnson a call yersterday wishing him a happy birthday,his birthday is today,he's 83.When I called artound 1:30 p.m.he was napping.I guess old habits die hard,Lol.He was in good spirits & still pretty sharp in his wit.Always a pleasure talking with Bob,it brings back old memories of days on the phone ordering parts.

Test 2 on the rim adapter today. Used the g70 and 28 inch bar and 3/8 pitch oregon chain. 8 tooth rim drive. I was cutting red oak today. I made enough cuts to go thru 3/4. A tank of fuel. This drive was not as hardened as rhe first and it did not break. It did not crack. It held.up very good. Im pretty happy with this one. I messaged Mitch and gave him the results. He was pleased and wants me to test one that is not hardened. So itll be another week before i can get any out to people. It worked perfect though. Even the one that broke worked as it should. So much fun. This saw surprised me how fast it cut also. It was a great chain but it had a lot of speed also. Surprised me.

Is this a Mac33? Should it have a clutch cover? I put a shot of mix in the carb and it started on the first pull.
wQkZh8v.jpg

fDkuzpA.jpg

Lots of variables among the series...
Thanks, I'm really tickled that this one is so complete, and it fired up on the first pull with a prime. What I'm really happy about is it has a brand new, never filed, and sharp chain. It is 1/2". This is the first one of these I've ever seen. I started to pass on it because it's smaller than the saws I typically collect. But, I think it's cool. Thanks again.

Oh yea way better, still amazing how they ever came up with that awful design for the 800 muffler 🤔

I think it was a band aid fix for the issue of exhaust near the ground and making them less rowdy. Getting the last out of an out dated design. As apposed to designing a new pro saw and maybe even still being hear today

They did achieve it though they don't burn the ground and were quieter.

Sad thing is the SP80 had a much better power to weight and a decade earlier and isn't much behind a 181se of the 800s era

The 800 is a fine saw and I love mine but the 181 is a better saw. And if I was a man looking for a new pro saw in 1983 I know what I would buy

I think it was a band aid fix for the issue of exhaust near the ground and making them less rowdy. Getting the last out of an out dated design. As apposed to designing a new pro saw and maybe even still being hear today

They did achieve it though they don't burn the ground and were quieter.

Sad thing is the SP80 had a much better power to weight and a decade earlier and isn't much behind a 181se of the 800s era

The 800 is a fine saw and I love mine but the 181 is a better saw. And if I was a man looking for a new pro saw in 1983 I know what I would buy
Yea , it’s a very low hour saw piston and cylinder look brand new , very good compression , and now with the much improved, 850 reed free flow muffler it sounds like a true old Mac should sound , I can tell the performance difference, right away, 👍

Yea , it’s a very low hour saw piston and cylinder look brand new , very good compression , and now with the much improved, 850 reed free flow muffler it sounds like a true old Mac should sound , I can tell the performance difference, right away, 👍
I always leaned (still do) to the PM 850s The Sp81s are second. After the 850 the 800 was a bit of a let down, 805, glorified, 800, DE80, not sure what they were thinking. 8200 to little to late. that said I own multiples of them all. They all have a place in my heart.
I say i own them all Still looking to a clean Super. One day

Nice. You'll get yonks out of it then. Definitely improves them that muffler swap. How'd ya get on with an air shroud?

I always leaned (still do) to the PM 850s The Sp81s are second. After the 850 the 800 was a bit of a let down, 805, glorified, 800, DE80, not sure what they were thinking. 8200 to little to late. that said I own multiples of them all. They all have a place in my heart.
I say i own them all Still looking to a clean Super. One day

They are all pretty mean saws not that I've ran a 8200 or de80

My 800 after the muffler fix leaves absolutely nothing on the table to the 850. Both have killer compression. I'd almost say the 800 has a little more up top to the 850. It could be the very open muffler cover on it or.... I wonder if the Qport cylinder allows it to pull a higher RPM.

It's a very angry saw that 800

Back