McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron,I can't remember the name of the condition/syndrome that's caused by using equipment that vibrates excessively,but I know there's another member here who has it.I thought I had the same condition a few yrs.ago,but was told by a dr.that I don't.I believe I have neuropathy in my hands & is severely affected by the cold.When I go out to snowblow my driveway I can't be out in extremely cold weather for more than 15 min.& if I do stay out my fingers will start to burn & it's very painful.This yr.I'll have to invest in some Thinsulate gloves.

Ron,I can't remember the name of the condition/syndrome that's caused by using equipment that vibrates excessively,but I know there's another member here who has it.I thought I had the same condition a few yrs.ago,but was told by a dr.that I don't.I believe I have neuropathy in my hands & is severely affected by the cold.When I go out to snowblow my driveway I can't be out in extremely cold weather for more than 15 min.& if I do stay out my fingers will start to burn & it's very painful.This yr.I'll have to invest in some Thinsulate gloves.
I’ve worked most of my life with my hands as well and the non-vibe saws don’t bother me, but the cold gives me the burn. I been wearing those thin jersey gloves inside mechanics gloves snow blowing and I’m warm. Plus I’m still flexible.
On the up side, I got my first (and only?) Mac 7-10 the other day. Paid more than I wanted to, but it’s decent. Coil wire burned, changed that, new 3/8 rim and greased the bearing. Fuel line and filter looks alright. Blew out the filth to make room for more. Waiting on a bar. See how it runs, maybe go through the carb, since I run e10 pump stuff.

Tha
May just be me - I have always enjoyed running ***. The handle vibrations from old push mowers and a walk behind Gravely would practically put my hands to sleep as a kid. The only street bike I ever owned was a Yamaha 650. Once you hit 45 mph it would vibrate like crazy. I took it on the Interstate only once - within 45 miles I was becoming numb from the hips down and I was about to lose my grip, so I turned back. It was a long ride home. Years later, my left hand would go numb using the 700. Not long thereafter I brought an old Gravely, I couldn't run it for 30 minutes straight. I discovered a/v saws and didn't look back. I also read dozens of posts on AS discussing potential long-term damage due to repetitive exposure to vibrations, that coupled with not finding any rugged anti-vibe gloves, let me to leave the 700 on the shelf. Only after running Bruan's 1010s on occasion, did I return it to work.

Here is one of the threads that got my attention: www.arboristsite.com/threads/any-of-you-have-issues-with-your-hands

Ron
Thanks for the reply Ron, I was just wondering, being that I don't have any problems yet.
Obviously if you work with your hands most of your life things are gonna wear out . Other then the random times I'll have a knuckle lock up or a callused finger not working on touch screens I'm pretty lucky.

Long one - sorry.
Morning fellas.
Back in town after a camping trip.
It was a great time. Typically I camp to get a way from everyone and everything but my purpose was different this time.
My family is very different in a lot of ways and it can at times lead to being ostracized to a point. We don't feel fully welcome in a lot of public places and the kids sometimes suffer because they won't stay around any situation where they feel something improper is going on. For example if a group of teenage girls begin to develop a click and talk bad about other girls, Anna is out. If some boys start to look at stuff on their phones that they shouldn't, Robert is out.
So we found out about a group of Christian home school families who started having " shindigs". A shindig for them is like minded families coming together for a long weekend to escape criticism and the condescending looks and comments we sometimes hear and let our kids hang out with other kids with the same values.
Long and short of it, we spend a long weekend with a wonderful group of people. Never heard a foul or mean word. We saw all the children of all ages playing well together with the older tending to the younger wether they were siblings or not. Good preaching and worship off and on all weekend.
no drugs, no fighting, no attitudes, no panic if your little one got out of sight for a sec. We met tons of new folks who are like minded and face some of the same struggles which is especially important to the women. They needs those bonds and friendships.
Glad we went and will be looking for another one in the future. It's hard to describe the difference between that and going to a public campground.

You probably have Raynaud's disease I ended up with it because of vibrations. If I get my hands cold or they get “over vibrated” the fingers turn white and circulation to fingers shuts down they swell and hurt as they warm up. I can go into store and get a gallon of milk carry it to front of store and the fingers that are holding Milk turn white and hurt.

Sounds like a nice time Bob.

I am trying to get a few saws put together just to have them available as we move into wood cutting season. I started on this 10-10 last Saturday, it was put together from pieces of several different saws and with an odd assortment of fasteners. I replaced the Pro Mac 10-10 fuel tank with one more appropriate for a Pro 10-10 Automatic but could not get it to seal even with a Viton gasket so I switched the tank top for a black one. Got it all together and could not get it to start and run without priming it, restart always required choke and it would not idle no matter what.

Took it apart again today to investigate further (compression was down around 100 PSI) and noticed something odd when I took the tank top off...it appeared I could see the window on the piston through the intake port...I discovered whoever had been into this saw before me had put the piston in upside down (the skirt is just a bit wider on the intake side as compared to the exhaust side). Even though I have an arbor press, I decided to take the rod cap off to turn the piston around as I have noticed the wrist pin on some older 10 Series saws get sloppy if you press them out & in too often.

20230918_134224.jpg

Then, I decided to measure the piston and the bore...bore seemed O.K. but the piston skirt had a lot of wear. I sorted through some parts I got from Jeff McNee some time ago and found the best piston and swapped it out, only to discover I put it on upside down...

In any case, I have it well on the way and hope to have another runner on the "For Sale" shelves tomorrow.

20230918_172630.jpg

Mark

Sounds like a nice time Bob.

I am trying to get a few saws put together just to have them available as we move into wood cutting season. I started on this 10-10 last Saturday, it was put together from pieces of several different saws and with an odd assortment of fasteners. I replaced the Pro Mac 10-10 fuel tank with one more appropriate for a Pro 10-10 Automatic but could not get it to seal even with a Viton gasket so I switched the tank top for a black one. Got it all together and could not get it to start and run without priming it, restart always required choke and it would not idle no matter what.

Took it apart again today to investigate further (compression was down around 100 PSI) and noticed something odd when I took the tank top off...it appeared I could see the window on the piston through the intake port...I discovered whoever had been into this saw before me had put the piston in upside down (the skirt is just a bit wider on the intake side as compared to the exhaust side). Even though I have an arbor press, I decided to take the rod cap off to turn the piston around as I have noticed the wrist pin on some older 10 Series saws get sloppy if you press them out & in too often.

View attachment 1113522

Then, I decided to measure the piston and the bore...bore seemed O.K. but the piston skirt had a lot of wear. I sorted through some parts I got from Jeff McNee some time ago and found the best piston and swapped it out, only to discover I put it on upside down...

In any case, I have it well on the way and hope to have another runner on the "For Sale" shelves tomorrow.

View attachment 1113524

Mark
Mark,

Did you reuse the rod cap bolts or replace them with new ones?

Since these were 8-36x1/2 socket head screws that are somewhat hard to find I did reuse them. Remember this is basic 10-10 model and doesn't turn as many RPM or get worked as hard as the bigger saws so I'm not concerned about the screws holding up.

It is also interesting to note that on the earlier saws, the rod cap screws are installed from the "top" side of the assembly rather than the bottom side like the later and bigger models.

1695127554182.png

Mark

Absolutely loving this 850 🥰 can't believe I let it sit so long. Starts first pull after a few days.

My boy made me take this picture said it looked good on the wood :) 20230916_124504.jpg

Random question 🤔 I have a nasty old SP70. Its actually pretty low hour but sat in the weather. I should get it going but I have a nice SP70 that needs seals. Was thinking of pinching it's yellow magnesium fuel tank and putting it on the 850 for a bit of weight reduction. The paint matches and is in nice shape. Is this a direct swap?

I still prefer the 81 just simply for the weight

Jethro - I do believe the fuel tanks will be the same on the SP70 and PM850. The 850 is a late model SP81E and/or vice versa.

The Pro 10-10A project did not go as planned today. After spending a couple of hours trying to get the throttle to work I ended up replacing the throttle rod and then the throttle would not close...amongst the various parts used to put this one together the builder chose the wrong throttle return spring. With that situation corrected I did get it running and made a few cuts but it still would not idle correctly and really lacked oomph in the cut. I checked the compression and even with the better piston and new rings it was just a little over 100 PSI so I took another approach. I had a Pro 10-10A on a shelf in the shop to display the reproduction full wrap handle bars that was in better condition internally so I swapped parts as needed to make a runner, and still have a Pro 10-10A displaying the full wrap handle bar.

The Pro 10-10A with the full wrap....

20210420_090910.jpg

...is now the runner...

20230919_172252.jpg

20230919_172258.jpg

20230919_172306.jpg

20230919_172311.jpg

The other is now up on the shelf showing off the full wrap bar.

Mark

Back