McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim - The Q port theoretically does away with the need for a DSP valve.

Throttle latched open, choke on, saw on the ground, put your left foot on the lower brace ( support under the rear handle), hold the saw down with your right hand, and pull the starter with your left hand. Gently pull the engine over until you feel it coming up on compression, then pull like you mean it.

If the saw has not been run in a while, put a teaspoon of fuel mix into the carburetor and gently pull it over a few times, the follow then procedure above less the choke. You may have to prime it a few times to get the carburetor pumping or, if you can get to the choke quickly enough you may be able to keep it running long enough to get the fuel pumping.

Mark

P.S. Still waiting on the mail...
Interesting, I always hold the saw with my left and pull with my right. Are you left-handed by any chance? Or am I just odd?

I won't say it in public Dan...

For smaller saws I use the Stihl "lock the saw behind the knee" method and use my right arm.

For bigger saws, I prefer to start them on the ground with my left. My right shoulder took some abuse messing with some kart saws a while ago and just isn't back to normal. My left still works so for now it gets the big saw duty.

Mark

Bob Johnson told me that drop starting a saw is a good way to break pawls.I've gotten several saws that had broken pawls & I replaced them.I try to start all my saws on the ground.On the Fairbanks-Morse starters you need to pull the rope till the pawls catch,then give it hell.

Bob Johnson told me that drop starting a saw is a good way to break pawls.I've gotten several saws that had broken pawls & I replaced them.I try to start all my saws on the ground.On the Fairbanks-Morse starters you need to pull the rope till the pawls catch,then give it hell.
Kneeling, sitting, standing, etc If you ever watch most people start a chainsaw they jerk the rope with all they have. If the saw is in proper mechanical order it will start well and easy. I tell almost every person I see start a saw around these parts the same thing after watching them. "You don't need to pull the starter cord so hard, or to its end" I try hard to NEVER reach the end of the rope so to speak lol. Decomp Switches were put on certain models for a reason. Its a macho thing among Mac guys around here to not use them. To "Pull the saw like a man". I say all that to say this... Outside of fatigued parts that is how pawls get broken. I cant remember the last time I had one break on me. Bob and I had this very discussion in person just this past October.

Hey guys thanks for all the advice and stories. I think the key is like Mark said PULL LIKE YOU MEAN IT, I 'll get that sucker started some way. I am going to wait untll the holidays are over just in case it wins the first round. Before starting a saw that has sat a long time I use a small hyperdermic needle 0-1 cc I get from my veterinarian. I like it for working on small cc engines, less likely to hydro lock on first pull. If you live in a big city you can get them free by looking in gutters, just kidding of coarse, no second hand needles for my Mac's

PS Mark when you get the mail, check should have same date as envelope, just curios

You must only lend out the 610s. 😏
Exactly 👍

So this year has been different to say the least. In the spring of 2022, I was just a guy who was collecting and fixing up McCulloch saws because it brought me joy and helped dissipate the stress of life then I got the call from Bob Johnson from the Hospital offering me to buy out his McCulloch parts. In August 2022, I rode up there to look everything over. It was amazing to see it all and to finally meet Bob in person. I headed home the decision unmade of if I was willing to undertake the momentous task of purchasing Bobs parts. It was not as cut and dry as it sounded. Bobs place was right on the highway with very little space to get trucks and equipment in. Packing the amount of inventory, he had was going to take time and manpower. Moving it was going to require professional transportation. Once that was worked out and in place, I had to make room in my shop to store the parts while construction started on a building large enough to organize and shelve all of them.

Once I got home, I went up the see Uncle. Showed him picture of Bob’s and talked about it with him. As I talked to him, I became more excited about the idea of saving these parts. I say save because Bob had basically said that when something happened to him the parts would go to his kids who would likely just throw them away and they would be gone. I discussed the ramifications of the purchase with the Wife to be sure she was onboard with the idea then I called Bob and told him yes I would purchase the parts.

From that point on things moved fast for the next two months. From legal work to set up a business, organizing manpower and transportation logistics, to packing and shipping material deliveries to Bob’s. Early September found us at Bob’s loading a Tractor and Trailer with parts. Four men and six days’ worth of loading (It overflowed into a U-Haul and even a second trip with a car hauler trailer a month later). Suffice to say by day two of packing and loading I realized even with all my business background I had under estimated the number of parts that were at Bob’s. At the end of day six we headed south. Four days later the parts followed. It took a day, a fork lift, and four men to unload the packed-up boxes on the pallets into my shop.

Almost immediately after the parts arrived construction was started on what is now known as MacHalla. It took from September until March to get it complete and ready to start housing parts. All the parts were moved into it by early May.

I was so wanting Uncle to see MacHalla once it was done with parts in it. But by May he could not leave the house. In July we lost him. The man who started and lead me on my yellow saw journey was gone. He never got to see MacHalla in person. Only in a video I made for him and showed him at his bedside. I placed a picture of him dedicating MacHalla to his memory on the wall. Each time I pick parts I look at the picture.

2023 has been a new adventure for certain. Juggling three businesses has its challenges. I still don’t have all parts In Machalla inventoried as I want them. I expect it will be another year before I get it all sorted the way I desire.

And then I looked up and here we are in December, wow. Christmas is here, and its my favorite time of the year. This has caused me to take pause and reflect on the journey I descripted above. It reminds me how blessed I continue to be. This blessed man wants to wish each of you a very wonderful and Merry Christmas! I hope health, happiness, and prosperity are always at your doorstep, and you are surrounded by those who care most about. Enjoy my friends!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Mac PM 55 Xmas.jpg

So this year has been different to say the least. In the spring of 2022, I was just a guy who was collecting and fixing up McCulloch saws because it brought me joy and helped dissipate the stress of life then I got the call from Bob Johnson from the Hospital offering me to buy out his McCulloch parts. In August 2022, I rode up there to look everything over. It was amazing to see it all and to finally meet Bob in person. I headed home the decision unmade of if I was willing to undertake the momentous task of purchasing Bobs parts. It was not as cut and dry as it sounded. Bobs place was right on the highway with very little space to get trucks and equipment in. Packing the amount of inventory, he had was going to take time and manpower. Moving it was going to require professional transportation. Once that was worked out and in place, I had to make room in my shop to store the parts while construction started on a building large enough to organize and shelve all of them.

Once I got home, I went up the see Uncle. Showed him picture of Bob’s and talked about it with him. As I talked to him, I became more excited about the idea of saving these parts. I say save because Bob had basically said that when something happened to him the parts would go to his kids who would likely just throw them away and they would be gone. I discussed the ramifications of the purchase with the Wife to be sure she was onboard with the idea then I called Bob and told him yes I would purchase the parts.

From that point on things moved fast for the next two months. From legal work to set up a business, organizing manpower and transportation logistics, to packing and shipping material deliveries to Bob’s. Early September found us at Bob’s loading a Tractor and Trailer with parts. Four men and six days’ worth of loading (It overflowed into a U-Haul and even a second trip with a car hauler trailer a month later). Suffice to say by day two of packing and loading I realized even with all my business background I had under estimated the number of parts that were at Bob’s. At the end of day six we headed south. Four days later the parts followed. It took a day, a fork lift, and four men to unload the packed-up boxes on the pallets into my shop.

Almost immediately after the parts arrived construction was started on what is now known as MacHalla. It took from September until March to get it complete and ready to start housing parts. All the parts were moved into it by early May.

I was so wanting Uncle to see MacHalla once it was done with parts in it. But by May he could not leave the house. In July we lost him. The man who started and lead me on my yellow saw journey was gone. He never got to see MacHalla in person. Only in a video I made for him and showed him at his bedside. I placed a picture of him dedicating MacHalla to his memory on the wall. Each time I pick parts I look at the picture.

2023 has been a new adventure for certain. Juggling three businesses has its challenges. I still don’t have all parts In Machalla inventoried as I want them. I expect it will be another year before I get it all sorted the way I desire.

And then I looked up and here we are in December, wow. Christmas is here, and its my favorite time of the year. This has caused me to take pause and reflect on the journey I descripted above. It reminds me how blessed I continue to be. This blessed man wants to wish each of you a very wonderful and Merry Christmas! I hope health, happiness, and prosperity are always at your doorstep, and you are surrounded by those who care most about. Enjoy my friends!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
View attachment 1138281
Merry Christmas Eve Max , you’ve done a great job 👍, Machalla lives on 👍IMG_2084.jpeg

Here's one you don't see very often. Just arrived today so I thought I'd give it a bit more of a clean up before moving it into the display.

20231226_142136.jpg

20231226_171605.jpg

20231226_171551.jpg

There's a planetary gear set driven off the clutch, and a "crankshaft" with two throw's to move the blades back and forth in opposition to one another.

20231226_171624.jpg

20231226_164242.jpg

20231226_164258.jpg

20231226_171555.jpg

It is actually quite comfortable to hold on to and the ergonomics seem pretty good, on the other hand I don't think I will be tempted to put it to work.

Mark

Here's one you don't see very often. Just arrived today so I thought I'd give it a bit more of a clean up before moving it into the display.

There's a planetary gear set driven off the clutch, and a "crankshaft" with two throw's to move the blades back and forth in opposition to one another.

View attachment 1138914

It is actually quite comfortable to hold on to and the ergonomics seem pretty good, on the other hand I don't think I will be tempted to put it to work.

Mark

That thing looks like it belongs in a 70's horror movie. I wonder how many people used it that still have all their fingers.

:laugh:

Latest posts

Back