McCulloch Mac 2-10

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macgary

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi, have a chance to pick up an old mac 2-10 on the cheap. Looks pretty decent, probably just clean/rebuild carb. Anyone have one of these old saws that can give me some feedback.

To start off does it have the Walbro or McCulloch carb? Walbro is much more desirable and easier to tune.

Besides the carb issues with the Mac carb they are pretty good saws that are easy to work on. Downsides include being very loud and lack of any anti vibe.

Don't know the carb as I haven't seen the saw yet in person just pics. Loud is ok by me, have a pro mac10-10 and a 650 so I know loud.

Don't know the carb as I haven't seen the saw yet in person just pics. Loud is ok by me, have a pro mac10-10 and a 650 so I know loud.
There's not a whole lot of difference between a 2-10 and a 10-10 as far as working on them is concerned. Lot of the parts will interchange I would think. If you like your 10-10 you'll like the 2-10 also..

There's not a whole lot of difference between a 2-10 and a 10-10 as far as working on them is concerned. Lot of the parts will interchange I would think. If you like your 10-10 you'll like the 2-10 also..
Love my pro mac 10-10 just found a new in package McCulloch NOS chain for her on ebay (less than $15 shipped). Goes thru seasoned cherry logs like a hot knife thru butter. They just don't make 'em like this anymore that's for sure. Guess I'll be checking out that 2-10 hoping it has the Walbro.
Thanks guys!

According to Acres site the 2-10 should have a McCulloch carburetor and also has points. I'm pretty sure some have changed the carb over to a Walbro however. That's a fairly old saw, maybe someone has already changed it over.

It is not a simple swap since the McCulloch carburetor is a very low profile. To run the Walbro SDC or Tillotson HS cube carburetors you have to change the tank bottom that also makes the bottom half of the air box and change the air filter cover. It was obviously done quite a lot as McCulloch had kits made for a variety of the -10 saws.

DSC03051.JPG

DSC03863.JPG

There were a few 1-10 models with the cube style carburetor but I think all of the 2-10, 3-10, and 4-10 saws were the little bullfrog carburetor. There were 5-10 models with the bullfrog, and some with the cube style. Some conversations were home made.

McCulloch 5-10 DC13.jpg

From the 6-10 on all were the cube style carburetor.

Mark

Hi guys, well got the saw cheap and has the old mcculloch carb which is shot leaking gas everywhere. I'm sure I can't find a rebuild kit anywhere. Converting looks like a pain in the ass. Any ideas?

I don't know anything about the mcculloch carbs but is it possible to machine a conversion spacer to go to a tillotson hs?

Thanks guys, will start looking for a parts saw. I'm going to clean that carb up today and see what happens.

That's what you need but doubt I would pay that much for it. I generally pay between $5 and $20 for a complete saw. Postage will hurt you, that's why I generally don't buy parts saws on ebay. Local sales are best for parts saws, maybe Craigslist might have something in your area or you could put an ad in there asking for a parts saw cheap. A complete, running 10-10 shouldn't run you much over $50 locally, $75 to $100 on 'the bay.

Well I cleaned the carb and she started for like 4-5 seconds and quit. Not leaking fuel anymore. How do you adjust points on these old saws? I don't think it's the same as an old chevy, haha, the points seem to be the piece that makes contact with the flywheel. Supposed to be .019 but at the widest point like .012. Any help appreciated.

I usually adjust points by installing an ignition bug, lol its worth it In the long run

Latest posts

Back