McCulloch Mac 2-10

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a saw that I have decided that no matter what it takes I will make it run someday, that's my mac model 33, I just haven't had time to tackle it, but someday I will get the courage to tear into it

Ok, just took carb apart, and the diaphram gasket is shot now more like thin rubber goo, so I guess with all we've been doing lately the old diaphram gasket is not hard anymore, thanks to gas, this thing must have been sitting for 25 plus years. Son will post pics.

So here's the gasket atlest what's left. And the new beautiful one.

Attachments

• 20160911_202213.jpg
    20160911_202213.jpg
    834 KB · Views: 20
  • 20160911_202223.jpg
    20160911_202223.jpg
    820.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20160911_202419.jpg
    20160911_202419.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 20
  • 20160911_202308.jpg
    20160911_202308.jpg
    905.2 KB · Views: 20
  • $(KGrHqNHJDME63ZMVB1cBO3Rw(B1ug--60_1.JPG
    $(KGrHqNHJDME63ZMVB1cBO3Rw(B1ug--60_1.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 17
I find that if the saw has not been ran when ethanol fuel was used, but rather left in a barn with the old leaded fuel in it the fuel will turn gooey and thick, but
the gasket condition is usually ok, after seeing the pics your son just posted it looks like it has pumped it's last fuel quite some time ago,

Well it is possible to switch carbs, it worked for me, I did run into one unexpected snag which I will explain 20160911_161337.jpgI took everything off of donor 10-10,20160911_161344.jpgincluding the choke pull,20160911_161406.jpgthe stripped down 1-10, notice the spacing of the bolt holes?20160911_163308.jpgthey are the same spacing as the tank bolts and strap for the 10-10 I used a piece of mechanics wire doubled over as a guide for my impulse port,20160911_163450.jpgplastic carb spacer set In place and lined up with intake port and impulse port via the mechanics wire I then used a transfer punch to locate my carb bolt spacing,20160912_192840.jpgI forgot to take a pic of the drilled and tapped holes in the tank bottom but they are drilled using a #25 machinist drill bit, and tapped to 10-24 machine thread, you don't have to drill very deep, just under a half inch of good threads, 20160912_193010.jpgcarb set in place and bolted down everything is looking good and then I realize that the bull frog carb sits lower than the walbro sdc, so mcculloch used a higher stand off on the bottom of the filter cover where the screw goes through to hold down the filter, so I had to remove the stud in the 1-10 cover and file down this stand off until it was the same height as the stand off on the 10-10 cover, yes this also removed the retainer on the back of the nut in the air filter cover, which I didn't like but it's not a big deal, still functions like normal it's just not retained in the filter cover anymore, then I put in the operating rods and screwed the cover on 20160912_203024.jpgthe finished product, it wasn't as easy as I was hoping but it wasn't very hard either and it was worth it to me to make it look just like factory, and it only cost me like 6 bucks for carb kit that I put in the new sdc, everything else I used was already part of my tool set hope this helps somebody if not, well, it helped me for sure
ADLM

And if anyone is concerned about the cut out in the intake port of the 1-10 it does not go far enough in to conflict with the sealing of the base gasket, there is still plenty of machined area to seal everything up, and the rope was rotten, I absolutely pulled it out of the recoil, but the saw did fire before I did that, so now I have to fix the rope tomorrow

Simple and neat, thanks for taking on this task.

It does appear that you are giving up some intake area compared to the opening for the SDC, but I don't expect you intend to make this saw a racer so it shouldn't hurt too much.

Mark
Yes I did give up a little flow for sure, but I didn't wanna destroy the tank bottom, and as long as it runs I'm ok with it, if I ever had to put the bullfrog back on I can because the holes I drilled will get covered up by the base gasket and I will just have to loctite my cover stud back in place to reset my cover height, I am pleased with it
ADLM

Pretty ingenious I must say. I'm waiting on parts now to get mine back to original. New fuel line,carb gaskets,diaphram, and the rubber duck bill valve that was missing or disintegrated when we took the carb apart. Mark helped me out with that because I thought it was just an o ring that went in that hole.

Pretty ingenious I must say. I'm waiting on parts now to get mine back to original. New fuel line,carb gaskets,diaphram, and the rubber duck bill valve that was missing or disintegrated when we took the carb apart. Mark helped me out with that because I thought it was just an o ring that went in that hole.
I hope to see yours running soon, I was excited to find my 1-10 as it seems the only thing in my area are 10-10's

Well I put the new rope in and new plug and took the tank off and resealed it with some good old yamabond and then fired it up and did some tuning and tweaking and let me say what a pain it is on the models that don't have external ports for the adjuster screws, but after about a half hour getting everything just right I must say it runs pretty darn good, I was initially concerned about getting spit back from the intake being narrower than the throat of the carb but once everything was tuned just right I got no spit back whatsoever, have I mentioned I'm very pleased with this little saw! I can't wait to sink it into some wood this weekend, I hope to get a video for you all soon
Thanks ADLM

Update on my 1-10 I was having trouble with getting it started and couldn't get it to cooperate with the tuning being snotty but I finally got it to cooperate long enough to sink it into a log for the first time after its surgery and when I came out the log on the other side it had heated it up and cleared it out so well that it was running like a dream, it has a 16 in hard nose mac bar and new chain and I sank it into an 18 inch log and it pulled the whole bar length very well for what it is. I think this one is gonna live.

Well probably gonna have to do conversion now over to 10-10 tank and walbro carb cause tryed to soak the carb in some cleaner and forgot it was in there:'/ I know huge mistake anyways kinda corroded and left like a hard wax behind so gonna soak it in carb cleaner all night and see if that helps break away the cleaner crap really want this to be original saw. Beautiful picture of it by the pond.

Attachments

• 0921161718.jpg
    0921161718.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 0921161719.jpg
    0921161719.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Actually soaked it in pinesol, dont know if anyone has heard of this, anyway after 2 days a bunch of white crusty stuff like it's eating away at the metal. Soaking again in Berrymans and hopefully this will get all the crap off otherwise time to look for a new bullfrog. I know pretty dumb. But I found a guy with 4 2-10's for parts. So maybe all is not lost.

Actually soaked it in pinesol, dont know if anyone has heard of this, anyway after 2 days a bunch of white crusty stuff like it's eating away at the metal. Soaking again in Berrymans and hopefully this will get all the crap off otherwise time to look for a new bullfrog. I know pretty dumb. But I found a guy with 4 2-10's for parts. So maybe all is not lost.
Never heard of that, appearantly it didn't work lol

Latest posts

Back