McCulloch mini Mac?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschroeder

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Was digging on eBay and came across a few mini macs 12" bars. Any input on them? I know it's a little saw kinda Just want something to tinker with and have something "different" on the shelf.

Any info appreciated :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Don't they have 1/4" pitch chain? What's the availability of bar, chain, and drive sprockets for those?

Was digging on eBay and came across a few mini macs 12" bars. Any input on them? I know it's a little saw kinda Just want something to tinker with and have something "different" on the shelf.

Any info appreciated :)

'Different' on the shelf?

It'll never make it to the shelf. It'll only go as far as into that 1/2 full barrel of Tannerite you have in the middle of the 'back 40.'

Don't yet have that 1/2 barrel? A MM is justification to go get one.

Tannerite porting of an eager beaver saw - YouTube

When they run, not as bad as they're made out to be.

When they don't, run like h***. Total PITA to work on.

I've heard they're a serious pain to work on since they're so compact, I don't mind I see it as a challenge. Maybe I'm strange but I think some of the older saws are neat...and like I said before something different to have.

Mini Mac's are junk saws, just not worth bothering with, the OP would better off looking for a decent Mac like a 10-10 series

Both of my Mini Macs use 1/4" chain. There is a very good video on disassembly/reassembly of the Min-Mac on YouTube. Well worth watching!

I Have to Agree

When they run, not as bad as they're made out to be.

When they don't, run like h***. Total PITA to work on.
So true. Great saw that you have to practically dismantle to work on. I have one that works and one that does not. Not sure why. To use parts from one to fix the other one is almost impossible for the average mechanic.

That helps explain why McCulloch is no longer in business.

I just unloaded a Mac 110 that didn't run because it wasn't worth putting a bar on... I still have a Mini Mac 30 in the shed.
I rebuilt the carburetor on it, it's not as bad as these guys make it out to be, I'm a noob and I put it back together without a hiccup :msp_w00t:

the mini mac is one of the most hated little saws out there. and there is a very good reason for that. they have earned that reputation and there is nobody here that can defend it otherwise. just like any other POS, you get a few "good ones". in the grand sense, a few "good" mini's is a drop in the bucket to say the least.
when they ran, they still lacked the power of that era's competition. and the vibration from them 'felt' like almost double than the others.
machining was so piss poor in most, causing hidden airleaks everywhere. the piston would be gouged to hell in a matter of a couple hours run time due to little to no beveling on the transfers. you can't keep the screws properly tightened no matter how clean the threads or how much Loctite is used. and every "upgrade" mcculloch did was strictly to make it cheaper to build.
somebody mentioned the newer style pull start bits. "upgrading" to that is the worst thing you can do. it wears out far faster, slips way more and the pawls like to bend after a short while. stick with the older parts.
and when one does run good: did anybody mention 'regular maintenance'? these things aren't so easy on that either.....
best to toss that one aside and find a good mini saw that is actually worth throwing a new chain on.

the mini mac is one of the most hated little saws out there. and there is a very good reason for that. they have earned that reputation and there is nobody here that can defend it otherwise. just like any other POS, you get a few "good ones". in the grand sense, a few "good" mini's is a drop in the bucket to say the least.
when they ran, they still lacked the power of that era's competition. and the vibration from them 'felt' like almost double than the others.
machining was so piss poor in most, causing hidden airleaks everywhere. the piston would be gouged to hell in a matter of a couple hours run time due to little to no beveling on the transfers. you can't keep the screws properly tightened no matter how clean the threads or how much Loctite is used. and every "upgrade" mcculloch did was strictly to make it cheaper to build.
somebody mentioned the newer style pull start bits. "upgrading" to that is the worst thing you can do. it wears out far faster, slips way more and the pawls like to bend after a short while. stick with the older parts.
and when one does run good: did anybody mention 'regular maintenance'? these things aren't so easy on that either.....
best to toss that one aside and find a good mini saw that is actually worth throwing a new chain on.

I still have an idle speed screw laying in my yard somewhere from a vibrating Mini Mac.

I once reconstructed one from one semi-functional Mini Mac and another small Mucculloch... 110? It's been thirty, forty years... juice up the oil in the mix a bit, and it was a trooper. But I was really, *really* poor back then. ;)

Latest posts

Back