Mcculloch PM 610 bar length?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zryder25

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What is the longest bar I can run on a Mcculloch Pro Mac 610? I cut mainly hedge trees. Thanks

I use to own one of those . Prior to sellin it performed a slight muffler mod & turned up the fuel. With a 18" bar it really came around more to my likeing more than the 20" it had all those years.

I used to run a 24" Oregon Powermatch bar with full skip chain on my PM610 when I had it. Pulled it no problem out here in the PNW softwoods.
Gary
And, Gary should have never sold this beautiful saw:
Mac610-1.jpg

I run a 20" bar, (no skip) Oregon chain on it. Cuts beautifully after 30 years. Over 16 pounds of dynamite! It loves cutting hardwoods like oak, beech, ash, locust, etc.

Most commonly, they were sold with 16" to 20" bars, but you can go to 24" within the practical capabilities of the saw. Of course, there are longer bars which will bolt on, but you're going to run out of engine.

bar length

some i have seen have a 28" bar:dizzy: :jawdrop: the most ideal for those old girls is 24" and full or semi skip:)

:cheers:

It was more like 22# full of fuel and oil with a 20" bar which it pulled good. Did it really have a muffler. After pulling the spark screen which plugged up I thought it was just a big open hole but that was a long time ago. Steve

It was more like 22# full of fuel and oil with a 20" bar which it pulled good. Did it really have a muffler. After pulling the spark screen which plugged up I thought it was just a big open hole but that was a long time ago. Steve
I walked into a dealer one day and said, "Say Ted, a friend of mine wanted me to buy a new muffler for my Mac PM 610. Can you order me one?"

The dealer smiled, looked at me and said. "What muffler? It doesn't use any. All it has is a spark screen. Why do you think that saw runs like a wild stallion?"

I walked into a dealer one day and said, "Say Ted, a friend of mine wanted me to buy a new muffler for my Mac PM 610. Can you order me one?"

The dealer smiled, looked at me and said. "What muffler? It doesn't use any. All it has is a spark screen. Why do you think that saw runs like a wild stallion?"
Thanks ED. Thats what I thought but wasn't sure after all those years, so I wonder how you mod a muffler thats not a muffler. When mine got real doggy I took the screen off and it cut good, just a hair or two behind my 038. If it was 2# lighter it would have been a real nice saw. Steve

Thanks ED. Thats what I thought but wasn't sure after all those years, so I wonder how you mod a muffler thats not a muffler. When mine got real doggy I took the screen off and it cut good, just a hair or two behind my 038. f it was 2# lighter it would have been a real nice saw. Steve
Mac 610's are heavy, no doubt about it. So are grizzly bears. Maybe that's why they started calling this saw the Timber Bear.

On the other hand, I can't seem to find any grade of steel that's lighter and weaker than plastic. :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back