McCulloch portable battery charger with chainsaw powerhead?!?!?!?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a friend that bought one of those in the 70s(Id guess) from some long forgotten surplus company's sale flier. It has never been used and sitting in is garage. Looks like a 10-10 powerhead.

chainsaw charger

I worked for a big game outfitter in Idaho in '84 who had one but I believe it was homemade. Plate with a homelite engine and alternator. He had a 12v business band radio for emergencies and that's how I charged the battery for it.

That charger looks like an idea that would be popular with loggers. just hook it up to a saw, set the high idle, and let er charge.

now I want to get me some stuff and make one for myself one of these days. it'd be an interesting project for a rainy day.

Wow, that thing is super cool. If I had money to burn I would probably have to own it. Probably better off with my 12v chargepack though.

mac

mcculloch made a lot of interesting items welders pumps augers and winches in there saw lineup. but that seems a little high on price to me.:buttkick:

That is SWEET. looks like a two man engine retrofitted by McCulloch to be a welder. they made everything but the toilet and sink with a motor on it I believe.

Robert Doubrava said:
Oh yeah here's a welder that was on ebay awhile back:

Does anyone have a carb of the welder ? I will pay a good price for it.

Bill

I really wanted to buy that welder since welding is what I do all the time, but I didn't have enough $$$. I thought it would be awesome to have and use every once in awhile. It needs that big muffler though, that's for sure. If it had the small chainsaw muffler you wouldn't wanna weld with it for very long. :D If I remember the description right, the biggest rods you could use were 5/32" electrodes, and it put out a max. amount of around 130 amps AC current.

Bill G, do you have that(or one similar to it)? You could probably get the model # off the engine and then it would be easier to find a carb.

Last edited:
Robert Doubrava said:
Bill G, do you have that(or one similar to it)? You could probably get the model # off the engine and then it would be easier to find a carb.
it wouldnt be that simple, Mac used their own design of carb on some of their saws, this is one of those saws. rebuilding them isnt easy unless you can make your own gasket kits, and rebuild kits.

Robert Doubrava said:
I really wanted to buy that welder since welding is what I do all the time, but I didn't have enough $$$. I thought it would be awesome to have and use every once in awhile. It needs that big muffler though, that's for sure. If it had the small chainsaw muffler you wouldn't wanna weld with it for very long. :D If I remember the description right, the biggest rods you could use were 5/32" electrodes, and it put out a max. amount of around 130 amps AC current.

I wish I would have chased that welder more.

Bill

welder

:dizzy: one of them was 170 amps one on ebay sold for several $$$$$$$$ hundred a bit much in my book.:jawdrop: :buttkick:

Back