mcculloch pro over price

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mac 10-10S

I've personally seen a number of primo/new 10-10's on ebay go over $500.00
By far, they seem to bring the most money of any 10-10, etc.
It must be the "S" model. Has nothing to do with how good/bad they are.
It's what the bidders believe.

With a bar & chain, he could be over $500. now if he would have started it
at $29.99 .... [It is right after the Holidays w/ many people spending a bunch of dinero. is some effect.]

Saw a new PM800 go for $850.00 ! Yes.

These saws DO bring the money--he just didn't sell it right. So far.
Regards.

He's aiming his listing at knowledgeable collectors. Minimal verbage... "If you know what this is..."
And, yes, he's a tad proud of his NOS, never had a drop of fuel nor oil, Mac 10-10S... but not soooo proud of it that I'd call it "overpriced".There are definitely people in the chainsaw collecting crowd who will pay that for a cherry NOS 10-10S... or PM 700...

Mac made 'em for 19 years, tho... 1982-1998... and there are scads of the 10-10S floating around out there... many still in common use... Too bad he doesn't show the original box and paperwork with Operator's Manual. Seems like anyone who kept one like that for 10-29 years would still have the box and OM...

Now... if it was a NOS Mac model 77, or 73, I'd sure say he was waaaayyyy over-priced on a stinky old chainsaw... Those old beasts can be absolutely dangerous... what with not having chain brakes and all the OSHA features... they can start forest fires... if you drop one on yer foot, it'll sure break bones... and they're LOUD!!... they can easily harm yer ear-balls and make yer wife yell at ya in the evenings...

Anyone who's afflicted with one should look for someone who'll take it off their hands... If you, or anyone you know, has got a NOS 73 or a 77, or even one that someone has run fuel mix through, or taken out into tha woods and knocked some paint off of... PM me and I'll try to help you dispose of it properly... :givebeer:

Now... if it was a NOS Mac model 77, or 73, I'd sure say he was waaaayyyy over-priced on a stinky old chainsaw... Those old beasts can be absolutely dangerous... what with not having chain brakes and all the OSHA features... they can start forest fires... if you drop one on yer foot, it'll sure break bones... and they're LOUD!!... they can easily harm yer ear-balls and make yer wife yell at ya in the evenings...

If it has a chain brake and bucking spike--the ebay buyers think it's worth twice as much......I swear.......

For some reason the buyers love the PM 10-10S almost as much as the PM 700.

The difference between the PM 10-10 and PM 10-10S is the S model has electronic ignition. I also am a bit wary of the Mac's built after the mid 80's. The early 10-10S's don't concern me, but the later ones don't seem to have quite the same attention to quality control of parts and assembly. It's just the impression I got on the few later 10-10S's I've worked on.

Here's a used one that is getting up there in price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/McCulloch-10-10...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318

Casey

Last edited:
Mac 10-10'S , etc....

If it has a chain brake and bucking spike--the ebay buyers think it's worth twice as much......I swear.......

For some reason the buyers love the PM 10-10S almost as much as the PM 700.

The difference between the PM 10-10 and PM 10-10S is the S model has electronic ignition. I also am a bit wary of the Mac's built after the mid 80's. The early 10-10S's don't concern me, but the later ones don't seem to have quite the same attention to quality control of parts and assembly. It's just the impression I got on the few later 10-10S's I've worked on.

Here's a used one that is getting up there in price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/McCulloch-10-10...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318

Casey

PM10-10'S Opinions ............

There is good & reasonable evidence for the strong 10-10S values.
1-last of a long and great line of saws
2-has a LARGER Engine than the previous [various] 10-10 models.
Regular 10-10 is 3.3CI & 54cc's [and all previous] --- 10-10'S is 3.5CI &
57cc's.
3-Electronic Ignition was on the last of the PM10-10 models -- series 12.
I have one. Mac wrote in cursive lettering "Electronic Ignition" on the
Air-Filter cover.
4-10-10'S look mean & pretty, both. Do not underestimate this. Looks has
ALWAYS sold stuff & driven values!
5-It has "S" & "Professional" written on it. Don't laugh--it matters. Remember
Ebay bidders....

Added Note >>>
I have no specific knowledge whether MAC increased the compression on the
10-10'S or not.
BUT !!!!!!!!
I own a MAC 10-10'S in about 98% original, exc condition. It has THE strongest compression of ANY saw I own. Some are a good bit bigger...
It has terrifically strong compression. Did MAC increase the CR Ratio ???
10-10'S also have the very rare feature of a DeComp Valve !
On a 50cc+/- saw ???? Yes. Do you know of any other saw this size that has a DeComp Valve???
Frankly, it's a useful addition...
Regards.

PM10-10'S Opinions ............

There is good & reasonable evidence for the strong 10-10S values.
1-last of a long and great line of saws
2-has a LARGER Engine than the previous [various] 10-10 models.
Regular 10-10 is 3.3CI & 54cc's [and all previous] --- 10-10'S is 3.5CI &
57cc's.
3-Electronic Ignition was on the last of the PM10-10 models -- series 12.
I have one. Mac wrote in cursive lettering "Electronic Ignition" on the
Air-Filter cover.
4-10-10'S look mean & pretty, both. Do not underestimate this. Looks has
ALWAYS sold stuff & driven values!
5-It has "S" & "Professional" written on it. Don't laugh--it matters. Remember
Ebay bidders....

I agree with you entirely--those things make a difference.

I didn't know Mac put the electronic ignition on the last of the PM 10-10's.....good info.

Added Note >>>
I have no specific knowledge whether MAC increased the compression on the
10-10'S or not.
BUT !!!!!!!!
I own a MAC 10-10'S in about 98% original, exc condition. It has THE strongest compression of ANY saw I own. Some are a good bit bigger...
It has terrifically strong compression. Did MAC increase the CR Ratio ???
10-10'S also have the very rare feature of a DeComp Valve !
On a 50cc+/- saw ???? Yes. Do you know of any other saw this size that has a DeComp Valve???
Frankly, it's a useful addition...
Regards.

Don't forget, the redheaded stepchild that is often ignored by the ebayers--the Pro Mac 55--had 57cc's and a decomp--Mac considered it an "upgraded" 10-10 according to the old-timer who used own the saw shop in my hometown.

Casey

Anyone who's afflicted with one should look for someone who'll take it off their hands... If you, or anyone you know, has got a NOS 73 or a 77, or even one that someone has run fuel mix through, or taken out into tha woods and knocked some paint off of... PM me and I'll try to help you dispose of it properly... :givebeer:

lolol, yeah yeah those big Mac saws aren't worth anything. Same thing with the 125s. I'll take those off your hands. :)

Anyone who's afflicted with one should look for someone who'll take it off their hands... If you, or anyone you know, has got a NOS 73 or a 77, or even one that someone has run fuel mix through, or taken out into tha woods and knocked some paint off of... PM me and I'll try to help you dispose of it properly... :givebeer:[/QUOTE]

I have that affliction (model 73), but I also have good insurance so i'll risk it.:)

Mac CP55 ???

I agree with you entirely--those things make a difference.

I didn't know Mac put the electronic ignition on the last of the PM 10-10's.....good info.

Don't forget, the redheaded stepchild that is often ignored by the ebayers--the Pro Mac 55--had 57cc's and a decomp--Mac considered it an "upgraded" 10-10 according to the old-timer who used own the saw shop in my hometown.

Casey

Casey --
Do you know much about the Mac CP55 and "it's reason for existing"?
Seems to have the same specs as the 10-10 of that era. Dates of manufacture overlap.
I asume it was a forerunner/early model of the PM55...

Ther is a decent one locally I might get.
Details?
Thanks.

Hi all. From an earlier post: "Too bad he doesn't show the original box and paperwork with Operator's Manual. Seems like anyone who kept one like that for 10-29 years would still have the box and OM..." What I have listed is all I have ever had for that saw. I bought it off of a dealers shelf and by the time I saw it, the box, the wrench, and the paperwork were long gone. It does have the spike and a complete cover/brake assy.
Dave

Casey --
Seems to have the same specs as the 10-10 of that era. Dates of manufacture overlap.

Details?
Thanks.

A "CP" is a Cushioned Power model, it has an AV sytem. The standard 10 series saws had no AV.

Casey --

Details?
Thanks.

Like Tzed said, it has one of the earliest examples of an AV system--like the CP 125. These were the pre-Super Pro line of professional saws. I guess I never thought of it, but the CP 55 would be Mac's only example of a 55 cc class AV saw?--Excluding the later plastic saws.......

As soon as I open my mouth, ebay buyers make a liar out of me--here's a PM 55 with the chain brake/cover assembly cannibalized and replaced with an older clutch cover going for a high price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&item=270323354493

Casey

Cp55

A "CP" is a Cushioned Power model, it has an AV sytem. The standard 10 series saws had no AV.

TZ --
Appreciate the info. Do the AV mounts hold up pretty well on this model ?

Whenever you think "What is the difference?" , a good & proper answer arrives!
Recently found out the differences on the 1-10,2-10,3-10,4-10,5-10.
Made sense....

Also, did you used to race TZ250's ? Fantastic bikes!

Thanks.

What Mac is this?

I don't find any numbers on it at all. Please look at the attached picture. The one is a 795 but the one at the bottom is it.

Last edited:
TZ --
Appreciate the info. Do the AV mounts hold up pretty well on this model ?

I'm not Tzed, and it's doubtful I'm as knowledgable as him either......but I recently replaced the motor mounts on a SP 80--probably a 1971 vintage. With the exception of the SP 80. Also, almost all the 1976-1977 vintage SP 60's and 70's I have looked at had rotting motor mounts. I don't know if Mac had a bad batch of mounts during that time or what. Both of my SP 60's are pre 1976, and the mounts are fine. My SP 81's mounts are fine. But both of my SP 70's mounts were rotted too. The "pivot" mount that attaches the skid plate and block seems to hold up well on all of the SP's I've looked at.

The mounts ain't cheap when you find them, either.........

Recently found out the differences on the 1-10,2-10,3-10,4-10,5-10.
Made sense....

What did you find out?--I'm curious.

Casey

Last edited:
Mac 15, Common?

Were these any good and were they plentiful and common? The old 795 next to it sure has some kick! Got the 795, 15 and 250 and a super 250 at the same place tonight. The 795 has a 36" bar. All have great comp and the 795 runs great! Has a hell of a tone! I guess the 795 has the same engine as my 940 2 man? Thanks!

Back