mcculloch pro over price

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Were these any good and were they plentiful and common? The old 795 next to it sure has some kick! Got the 795, 15 and 250 and a super 250 at the same place tonight. The 795 has a 36" bar. All have great comp and the 795 runs great! Has a hell of a tone! I guess the 795 has the same engine as my 940 2 man? Thanks!

The Mac 15 is known as McCulloch's first "consumer saw". So it was probably less expensive relative to other Mac's. They are good saws--there are still plenty of them in running condition today.........

There is generally at least one for sale on ebay at any given moment......

You just picked up all four of those saws? Cool!

Casey

Mac

I have a 2-10 that had that crap carb that I just put a 10-10 top and carb on and it really made a great saw out of it. Wondered how the 2-10 compared size wise to the 10-10. This 2-10 is in great shape and I would guess that it is because it would never run long enough to wear out with that wierd carb it had. I can make about anything run but that thing would not mind!

No wonder!

That is larger than I thought. It is light for that size of a saw even in todays standards. It runs strong! I also wondered how much advantage a super 250 has over a reg 250?

That is larger than I thought. It is light for that size of a saw even in todays standards. It runs strong! I also wondered how much advantage a super 250 has over a reg 250?

SUPER 250=87cc, specific to a series noted by serial numbers. Not all Super 250s are 87cc. Have never seen a 87cc 250 without the full wrap handle bars.

Mac 250=80cc

Early Mac "10" Series differences !!

Alpinecrick --

In response to your question .....
[probably more info than you want]

Background >> I have a "collector-grade" Mac 1-10. The cosmetic condition is about 96-97% of new. I closely estimate this saw was made in 1965. Still
has shiney yellow paint. Not too bad for a 44 year old saw. My saw is #2099 out of over how many million made? It's pre-everything. Extremely early production unit. I needed to educate myself on this saw because of the MAC "W" [flat] carb. Different animal. Nobody really cares for this carb, but it's what I got! And, it's original--some value on this particular saw. These 10's ran proper & good from the factory, right?? [hope so]!
Well I've educated myself pretty well with the carb. Feel confident in working on it & tuning. BUT NEED A New DIAPHRAM !! Help!

In learning about these early 10's I discovered what the differences are.
As follows >>
Mac basically built these saws with factory options. Like leather or sunroof on a car. All had same engine block. This sales sytem is really not used by todays manufacturors.
[Snapper Lawn Mowers does use this system to a degree]

1-10 -- more basic saw
2-10 -- added auto oiler
3-10 -- auto oiler AND "DSP-Easy Start" ["50% less effort"!!]
4-10 -- auto oiler, but without DSP-Easy start. AND, added Idle Governor
[made for smooth engine idling]
5-10 -- ALL of the above >> loaded model, all of the bells & whistles.
** Additionally 2-10G & 5-10G gear drive models were made.
** And, 3-10E & 5-10E Electric Start Models were available.

With that said, my 1-10 HAS the Idle Governor on it from the factory.
Wasn't supposed to. Who knows?? Maybe a 70cc engine lurks under my hood.
LOL.
The Idle Governor is attached to the throttle shaft. It has a coiled spring with a ratchet system. You can change the position of the spring on the ratchet for more or less tension. It doesn't look goofey. It gave stability to the throttle setting/idle. Works, I hope. It's simple & tidy.

Additionally all of these saws had : -- reborable cast iron liners
-- [2] cast iron piston rings
-- 3rd port cylinder design.

MAC really wanted to cover all of the bases with these saws. They Did!
And possibly keeping the prices low.

My 1-10 is all magnesium and Super Light weight. 10.5lbs. And, with a cast iron liner...It's amazingly light and nimble.
Mac did some fantastic engineering with these saws.

Got all this?

Back