McCulloch3.4 Eager Beaver or Timber Bear - No Oil To Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etbrown4

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
No doubt the passage from the oil tank is plugged.
I've put a lot of air pressure on the tank but can't get any oil to exit.:frown:

I am sure the oil is supposed to exit right near the chain or sprocket, but I have not been able to identify the exact spot for further attention.

If anybody has a pic of the exit point for the oil that would be a big help!

These saws are well known for plugged oil lines, so any tips would be appreciated!

I have a 3.7 timberbear on the porch right now, lemme see what I can get for pics.....gotta go take the cover off. If you can put some 30w motor oil in for bar oil and run a quart through it that has helped me on several occasions get it oiling better....seems to clean it out, I guess cause it's thinner......but I only run a 20" bar on it and buck firewood.

I gotta pull the clutch to see it.....but I'll give you some of my oil......it leaks like a sieve wherever I put it down and I've now pasted my dog kennel (I set it there yesterday:monkey:)

I'll try and pull that off and get a pic or two for you tomorrow.

sounds god to me. Would love to see the pic!

it seems that there are precious few McCulloch guys left, though these are excellent saws in my opinion.

yeah, I like mine for bucking. I catch hell from my buddy that i cut with all the time, but, for whatever reason, that ugly yellow pig always is there for me. The great part is when you fire it up, they have to stop yapping and plug their ears.

Are you sure it's the outlet? How did you pressurize the tank? The pumps do fail, also cleaning them out with an airhose can damage them. Often the pickup line into the tank rips or breaks. They do oil fine with a good pump, pickup and gasket.

It did not work, but I used an air line and a rag at the mouth of the tank to try to achieve maybe 10-15 psi.

If that pressure did not get to the outlet, I can see why it would not have worked. Possibly I made it worse, but it wasn't working anyway.

The best I recall, the pump seems ok. Not sure I ever found a pick up for it.

I figured that if i can locate the exact outlet point for the oil, I could run a fine wire through it or blow it out backwards!

'Horseskidder' mentioned that he would kindly try to get me a pic. A detailed description of the outlet location for this model saw would be a great help too!

If you put air to the outlet you will blow the suction hose off. Most suction hoses have fallen off and been replaced already but maybe yours is still original. The suction hose and filter are located inside the bar oil tank. If you really want to blow air somewhere then take the oil pump off and blow through from the passages underneath the oil pump. Most likely sawdust has packed up between the oil pump cover and the diaphragm and stopped the pump from pumping.

Latest posts

Back