Melted 41

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyinLangley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a used Husky 41 a short while ago. I had some issues with it, it turned out to be the crankcase seals. I replaced them and the saw ran fine......for a day...until it melted a giant hole in the oil tank. I think I recall reading that this happened to someone else. The saw doesn't havea shield and the IPL doesn't indicate one, is this common with this saw?

Yes, I've seen this on quite a number of its Poulan cousins. Did you have a gasket on the muffler? If you had escaping gases from the manifold, you could do damage easily.

I had a gasket on the muffler but it appears the leak from the muffler was right at the split in the shell. A nice line about 2" long right below the split line in the muffler. Everything was VERY tight was well....

I had the same problem with a 41. The muffler screws had loosened and then the heat burned throughh the top of the oil tank. I ground if flat, rivetted a piece of metal over the hole, covered it with epoxy and when that dried, put a double layer of metal faced insulation tape over that. When I put the muffler back on, i made sure the screws were tight. Haven't had any further problems with it.

Back