Menards bar oil.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smack me around if this is the wrong place for this. For you southern Mi guys. I was in menards today and thier bar oil was on sale for $4.99 a gallon. I seems atleast as good as the TSC stuff.

Probably is the same oil as what TSC sells. I'll bet most of the 'discount' bar oils come from the same plant...

I bought a gallon from TSC yesterday. It was $7.99. That is the best price I can get here. However, I bought a few sockets that I needed and they were on closeout at less than 50% off, and that was sweet! Bought 50 lbs. of dogfood too, but it was regular price.

When you get to the bottom of the Menards bar oil jugs, you frequently find some dark specks of solid "lube", and a Wendell points out you can really smell the sulphur. Now sulphur is a good lubricant, and it might actually be molybdenum disulphide but it does come with an odor.

Mark

It always smells like really old, nasty motor oil but maybe it is actually just the additives. When I bought a jug, I was sure it was just some lightly filtered used oil. :laugh:

attachment.php
I did buy a gallon because even lower ($3.99) last month during their 'Made in America sale'!. I noticed the smell right away, which reminded me of transmission fluid, and of the 'you get what you pay for' line. I would be interested in other's opinions on how well it works.

Also sold at other farm and hardware stores. Hard to track down the manufacturer, but found the following:

Twinco Romax Medina, MN Welcome to Twinco Romax

Twinco Romax is a vertically integrated distributor and manufacturer of automotive fluids and related aftermarket products sold to a diverse base of customers in the convenience store, automotive, mass market, farm store and other retail channels. Based in Medina (Minneapolis), Minnesota, Twinco has established a strong market position in the upper Midwest by combining a broad product line of company-owned and national brands with innovative merchandising and other value-added services that drive enhanced sales and profit margins for its customers. Twinco's brands include Zecol, Monster Garage, Incredible Orange, Power Blast, PolyGuard and Purple Power.

{hilbert

Chainpro is my favorit bar oil to run in the winter since its thinner. I bought a case at my local farm and fleet last year when a gallon was on sale for $2.99

Went today after dumping a trailer load of scrap metal off and the shelf was bare of one gallon jugs:(

That was because they must have been selling so much they left it in the cases to the right of the shelf, so I got a case (6 gallons):clap:

Rep for the tip:rock:

I used to work in a screw machine shop with LOTS of NASTY cutting oil in use. Occasionally they'd have some outfit come in to clean the oil. They had a big truck come in and heat and filter the oil for re-use. The first time I opened a jug of the bar oil in the previous photo I KNEW EXACTLY WHAT KIND OF OIL I WAS DEALING WITH.

Another cheap Bar & Chain Oil sale

For those of you who liked this deal, above, there is a certain farm store that also sells to fleets (the orange one, not the blue one) in the same MN/WI/IA/ND geographical area that has their 'Tall Timber' brand Bar & Chain oil on sale this week for $4.99/gallon, or $1.60/quart - through 8/20/11 - (I did not open one up to see if it had the same sulfur smell).

They also have some very low sale prices on Oregon bar and chain combos, and the lowest prices I have seen on the PowerSharp start up kit (bar, chain, stone, & sharpening cassette) as long as you are there. The prices in the store (Lakeville, MN) on some of these bar& Chain combos was actually lower than in their current ad circular.

(Funny how you can 'Search' for 'Menards bar oil' and get nothing - had to scroll down through a few pages to find this thread.)

Philbert

Latest posts

Back