Mesquite Tree Stump Removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneStarLawn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a portion of a mesquite tree (about 6 ft high...about 1.75 ft diameter) that I want to cut down to the ground.

The chainsaw that we use for our landscaping business is too small (16 in)...What size chainsaw do you recommend we rent and what type?

This mesquite seems to be pretty tough to cut.

You can cut that with a 16" saw, you'll just have to move around the trunk as you cut. A 24" saw will do it quicker, though. Whichever you choose, make sure the chain is sharp and tight.

Well our 16 is not going to do it. It has a new chain on it and sharpened and it is tight. Still extremely hard to cut the mesquite.

Mesquite, is a relatively soft wood to cut though it can be a "dirty" wood. I shear them all the time and cut them up too. Great BBQ wood!

mesquite

I cut mesquite firewood with a stihl MS 361, I have cut mesquites 24 + diamater off at the ground with an 18'' , what i do is get some cheap bar and cahin oil and pour alittle on my chain as it cuts through the base, for some reason you can never get enough oil out when you are cutting something like that. It tends to be very hard on bar and chain.

Aftre cutting it off I like to cut some etching and then drillsome hoels in it and soak it with diesel. once it is good and dead pour a few quarts of burn engine oil on it and light it up, it will usually burn it around a FT down into the ground.

Back