Meteor and highway cylinder kits for Stihl ms660???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's still an Asian cast cylinder.
But meteor still does the final work to them? But yes I'm aware that all AM cylinders are Asian casting but if meteor is doing the final steps to the cylinder would think for $140 bucks it would at least be better than all the other one's Maybe. :bowdown:

But meteor still does the final work to them? But yes I'm aware that all AM cylinders are Asian casting but if meteor is doing the final steps to the cylinder would think for $140 bucks it would at least be better than all the other one's Maybe. :bowdown:
Don't count on it. A bad casting is a bad casting. Their qualify is hit and miss like all other AM cylinders.

I'm the first one to say that if you're gonna go aftermarket, go Meteor. BUT, Hyway makes a gorgeous cylinder. I've been using them since the git-go on 660's and have yet to run across one that needed touching up.

In-fact, I'm so confident of them that if you buy one from HLSupply and don't like what you see, that I'll buy it from you.

I was having this conversation with a friend the other day. Which got me thinking, where do all the AM parts come from? Seems like most stuff comes from the same factory in china and then gets branded by several companies. Also how many people who have opinions on AM vs OEM have actually bought and ran both until their deaths? Kind of hard to have a real proven conclusion unless you've done that. If you're flipping saws or refurbishing, OEM sells better but sometimes AM is the way to go. Honesty is key either way. Oh and also, I'm willing to bet most saws die from other issues before the piston and cylinder give out. So maybe AM is the way to go..

Anyways this is all just speculation and thoughts. I'm sure this topic has been beat to death on here over the years.

Asian is the way to go if the saw is for your own use. For the price of $25 - $30 kit and you can get a few cords of wood or a few boards milling seems cheap and replacement in an MS660 is less than an hour labor. I keep an extra 660 kit on hand. Proper break in and richin the mixture probably last a long time..or not:D

I'm the first one to say that if you're gonna go aftermarket, go Meteor. BUT, Hyway makes a gorgeous cylinder. I've been using them since the git-go on 660's and have yet to run across one that needed touching up.

In-fact, I'm so confident of them that if you buy one from HLSupply and don't like what you see, that I'll buy it from you.
Well if I go that route I'll definitely hold you to it. Lol

Asian is the way to go if the saw is for your own use. For the price of $25 - $30 kit and you can get a few cords of wood or a few boards milling seems cheap and replacement in an MS660 is less than an hour labor. I keep an extra 660 kit on hand. Proper break in and richin the mixture probably last a long time..or not:D
Yea I'm more hopeful that I will be able to get something better than the cheapie one's the plating on them really such I've tried two different cylinder and the first one the bore was shaped like a egg the second one the NiSi split from the top transfer port to the middle of the bor above the intake port so that's why I'm steering away from the $35 - $40 one's. Lol

Yea I'm more hopeful that I will be able to get something better than the cheapie one's the plating on them really such I've tried two different cylinder and the first one the bore was shaped like a egg the second one the NiSi split from the top transfer port to the middle of the bor above the intake port so that's why I'm steering away from the $35 - $40 one's. Lol

I did smooth up the exhaust port on the last one. Paying more doesn't guarantee you are getting a better Asian casting!

I did smooth up the exhaust port on the last one. Paying more doesn't guarantee you are getting a better Asian casting!
Yea that's true I'm more hopeful that the plating is of better quality not really wired about port casting I'll definitely be fixing that problem with some magic. Lol.

Anyone know where the cylinders are cast for Stihl, Husqvarna, & Dolmer saws?
The Mahle website states their small engine components are produced in Germany, Austria, USA, Brazil, and China.
On the Meteor website they state they have an aluminum foundry at their associated company's premises, CABER S.R.L., in Turin, North West of Italy.
However, that may just be for the production of pistons.

I’ve got a meteor cylinder / piston combo on my 660, and it’s worked great. I use it primarily for cutting slabs and have had no issues. That said for OCD reasons I bought a good condition mahle cylinder I will swap in someday. :)

I’ve got a meteor cylinder / piston combo on my 660, and it’s worked great. I use it primarily for cutting slabs and have had no issues. That said for OCD reasons I bought a good condition mahle cylinder I will swap in someday. :)
There's something I like to hear. Keep them coming more input and knowledge is what I like. Feed my brain. :yes::barbecue:

Anyone know where the cylinders are cast for Stihl, Husqvarna, & Dolmer saws?
The Mahle website states their small engine components are produced in Germany, Austria, USA, Brazil, and China.
On the Meteor website they state they have an aluminum foundry at their associated company's premises, CABER S.R.L., in Turin, North West of Italy.
However, that may just be for the production of pistons.
Meteors pistons are indeed made in Italy, and are of very high quality.

What happened to the OEM cylinder? I burnt mine up milling and learned here to adjust (rich) the mix when milling.

What happened to the OEM cylinder? I burnt mine up milling and learned here to adjust (rich) the mix when milling.
I bought the saw used with a scored piston / cylinder. I replaced both with the meteor set up (purchased from baileys). Not sure why it was scored. The crank bearings and seals were in good shape. I did find cracks in the impulse line, so maybe it sucked in too much air and leaned out, but also could have been from sitting with bad fuel in it. I wish I knew the history.

OK just a update for all of you I went ahead and ordered a new cylinder kit and I went with the meteor cylinder kit I'll post some pics and give you all my opinion on what I like about it and don't if there's anything not to like payd a good amount for it but let's hope it was worth it would love to here my saw running again got some work for it to do. Lol

OK got my meteor cylinder kit today my first impression was wow really nice the plating is really nice the piston is very nice and heavy and the cylinder has a little more wait to it to so so far so good. But for the what were they thinking on the exhaust. Lol. It's way smaller compared to a OEM and farmertec it really surprised me but with some elbow grease I changed that a little bit by opening the flute of the port. Unfortunately I didn't have time to take pictures of my port work on this one but I took some be fores. I did run a half a tank of fuel through it and I'm happy runs pretty nice with this top end.IMG_20180507_114526.jpg IMG_20180507_114552.jpg IMG_20180507_114638.jpg IMG_20180507_114649.jpg IMG_20180507_114710.jpg IMG_20180507_114741.jpg

They're all Asian cast. Quality will be hit and miss. You might get a decent one, you might not.

Hey Brad,

How do you know that the Meteor cylinders are made outside of Italy? My supplier says italian made. The cylinder says Italy. Gilardoni makes them in Italy for Stihl. Why would Meteor not be making their own cylinders? I have bought about 200 cylinder from Meteor. So trying to understand where this info comes from.

Thanks

Dave

Back