Meteor Cylinder Kits MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyrb

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
How many have used the Meteor 660 cylinder kit and was the quality good enough for a tree service?

Have a tree service (9 man crew) bring me a MS650 for repair, appears to have been running very lean (limiters still in place) and my options are as follows;

A) Chinese MS650 piston (52mm) and not reccomended ~$40
B) Factory MS650 piston ~$90 plus ~$40 to clean cylinder
C) Meteor MS660 cylinder kit ~$150 plus shipping
D) Factory MS660 cylinder kit ~$300
E) Junk the whole thing.

If the Meteor cylinder kit is decent this is the way I will suggest, any thoughts?

I just used a meteor kit to rebuild a 046. I noticed the cylinder was significantly different than OEM. I noticed differences in the transfers, exhaust port and intake. I did not even need calipers to see how vastly different the machining is on these ports. The main difference was that the meteor had a much smaller exhaust port.

Regards,

SAWs

I will offer you another option. Sell it to me. No seriously. :msp_sneaky:

Currently I'm in the middle of a 066 rebuild and I've talked to a few of the saw builders here and they have all recommend OEM parts. I'm sure the BB kits and the meteor kits are okay but I decided to go OEM because reliability is key with me. Most of the time I'm too far from home and I don't want to second guess my saws. I rather focus on cutting safely. Finally, most saw builders have recommend also replacing the crank bearings if there was a transfer of aluminum from the piston to the cylinder wall.

Good luck with the rebuild and let me know if you decide to sell.:rolleyes2:

My .02 an aftermarket piston such as that from meteor would be ok as there is not all that much to #### up on a piston its just aluminium and aftermarket pistons are usually ok for this reason. Now a cylinder is where problems usually start mainly with the fact that aftermarket ones dont have the same amount of chrome plating on the inside as the OEM ones this can cause all sorts of problems and also there is a difference in the ports as the above stated.

If I was in your place what I personally what would is clean up the OEM cylinder and buy an OEM piston. Best option if you ask me as its fairly cost effective and even a bit cheaper than getting the meter piston and cylinder kit and you also provide the customer with a high quality end product.

The one I sent to Wigglesworth to have a look at was a NEW Meteor 066 P/C. piston, same meteor as always, nice. The jug is another story. After just a couple tanks if was wearing the piston extremely quick due to how the cylinder is finished.

The one I sent to Wigglesworth to have a look at was a NEW Meteor 066 P/C. piston, same meteor as always, nice. The jug is another story. After just a couple tanks if was wearing the piston extremely quick due to how the cylinder is finished.
hmmmm, cylinder finish? Could it be the bore is not perfectly perpendicular to the base?

How many have used the Meteor 660 cylinder kit and was the quality good enough for a tree service?

Have a tree service (9 man crew) bring me a MS650 for repair, appears to have been running very lean (limiters still in place) and my options are as follows;

E) Junk the whole thing.

If the Meteor cylinder kit is decent this is the way I will suggest, any thoughts?

IMHO, I'd get a meteor piston and clean the OEM jug if possible, if not, used OEM jug...

hmmmm, cylinder finish? Could it be the bore is not perfectly perpendicular to the base?

I cant say if that is it or not. I figured it was how square the exhaust port is. I posted pics of it in another thread. The plating looks great.

E) Junk the whole thing.

I will give you another option,...sell it to me instead of junking it,..I have all the new OEM parts here for it.

I cant say if that is it or not. I figured it was how square the exhaust port is. I posted pics of it in another thread. The plating looks great.

was just thinking out loud, I imagine a tell tale sign would be excessive wear on opposite sides (ie top of the piston one side, bottom of the piston other side) Like I said, just thinking out loud, never even seen one.

Get a good used OEM set for 80 bux on ebay.. Would a good used 064 piston and cylinder work? Just have to drill the base holes a little bigger right. might get a used 064 set for 50-60 bux

Yep. The piston wear isnt the major problem, it is the seriously rounded edge on the ring from, my best guess, the perfectly rectangle exhaust port. Other than the port having no arch to the top, the rest of it looks ok'ish.

I havent checked that, as I go way too much goin on, and havent looked at it much.

The plating is great.

From what I gather, the meteor cylinders are cast in Tiawan, then shipped to Italy for final machining and plating. They look just like a NWP cylinder, but with much better plating. The 046 Meteor kit I had looked the same way.

One of these days, ill get around to checking the numbers on the 66 kit. Im hoping the exhaust isnt so high already that it cant be reshaped. We'll see, I guess....

Why not a 066BB kit from Bailey's? I have had mine for a couple of years and it has quite a few tanks through it without any problem.

Me personally, I would hate to "depend" on a BB kit in a money making situation. Some run em for years with good luck, some peter out fairly quick in life.

Tis an option though....

I will offer you another option. Sell it to me. No seriously. :msp_sneaky:

Currently I'm in the middle of a 066 rebuild and I've talked to a few of the saw builders here and they have all recommend OEM parts. I'm sure the BB kits and the meteor kits are okay but I decided to go OEM because reliability is key with me. Most of the time I'm too far from home and I don't want to second guess my saws. I rather focus on cutting safely. Finally, most saw builders have recommend also replacing the crank bearings if there was a transfer of aluminum from the piston to the cylinder wall.

Good luck with the rebuild and let me know if you decide to sell.:rolleyes2:

I will give you another option,...sell it to me instead of junking it,..I have all the new OEM parts here for it.

Thanks guys but this is not an option as I do not own this saw, it is a paying customer.

Get a good used OEM set for 80 bux on ebay.. Would a good used 064 piston and cylinder work? Just have to drill the base holes a little bigger right. might get a used 064 set for 50-60 bux

That thought has crossed my mind, has anyone ever tried a 064 slug in a MS650? They are both 52mm bore, both will have the same wristpin, and I can get a Meteor for the 064.

My jug will clean up very nicely so if a 064 piston will work I would be home free.

What is the difference between a MS650 topend, and an 064? I never even looked at an MS650 before, dont know bore size or anything.

Yep. The piston wear isnt the major problem, it is the seriously rounded edge on the ring from, my best guess, the perfectly rectangle exhaust port. Other than the port having no arch to the top, the rest of it looks ok'ish.

I havent checked that, as I go way too much goin on, and havent looked at it much.

The plating is great.

From what I gather, the meteor cylinders are cast in Tiawan, then shipped to Italy for final machining and plating. They look just like a NWP cylinder, but with much better plating. The 046 Meteor kit I had looked the same way.

One of these days, ill get around to checking the numbers on the 66 kit. Im hoping the exhaust isnt so high already that it cant be reshaped. We'll see, I guess....

I was waiting on your reply, thought you had used one and you answered my question. It looks like the Meteor P/C is out now so OEM piston it is (if the 064 won't fit).

Thanks guys.....

Back