Meteor......Strrrrrike 1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Help me understand the issue with this piston. Obviously, the pin protruding to the inside of the piston has little/no effect...right? Is the problem the pin does not extend enough into the ring land to prevent the ring from rotating ? I guess its obvious to a lot of people but trying to learn what to watch for. Thanks.

Help me understand the issue with this piston. Obviously, the pin protruding to the inside of the piston has little/no effect...right? Is the problem the pin does not extend enough into the ring land to prevent the ring from rotating ? I guess its obvious to a lot of people but trying to learn what to watch for. Thanks.

Aint nothin wrong with your brain! You nailed it!

Here's the reply I received from Meteor this AM.

Dear Jeremy,

Many thanks for your message and for your words about our products, very appreciated! We are very sorry about the inconvenience you have found, it was obviously a faulty piston sold by mistake which skipped all quality checkings, which is serious but unfortunately these things sometimes happen despite all efforts to prevent it.

As far as what we can see from you photos, it doesn’t seem that the pin was pressed too deep but that it was wrongly positioned, that is it was not inserted into the reinforcement stud / boss where it should go into, so the mistake was obviously due to the inversion of intake / exaust side during the operations of pins’ insertion.

Please check with (suppliers name removed) if they are willing to replace this piston free of charge for you. If they aren’t, please just let me know and we will see how to solve the problem.

Awaiting for your kind reply, many thanks again.

Best regards

So,
Is that lower ring end gap locating pin on the exhaust side? Hard to tell from the supplied picks.

So,
Is that lower ring end gap locating pin on the exhaust side? Hard to tell from the supplied picks.

:bang:

:hmm3grin2orange:.........thanks for the laugh.

I'm not sure if your serious or if youre making fun of the reply I received from Meteor?

Clearly he (Antonio @ Meteor) did not see an issue with the pin being pressed through the wall of the piston?
And furthermore, MOST locating pins are located on the INTAKE side of a piston. Not sure what he meant about the inversion of intake/exhaust.

But that's not the point. The point is......they seem willing to do something to correct the issue.

Last edited:
Clearly he (Antonio @ Meteor) did not see an issue with the pin being pressed through the wall of the piston?
And furthermore, MOST locating pins are located on the INTAKE side of a piston. Not sure what he meant about the inversion of intake/exhaust.

But that's not the point. The point is......they seem willing to do something to correct the issue.

Keep in mind,
most customer service people have little idea what actually occurs in the manufacturing process.

-Phillip

Yep, serious. If I wasn't it would require a smiley. You didn't answer my question though.

No idea why you guys insist on aftermarket parts when OEM is available. IMO, if the saw is worth rebuilding, it's worth paying a bit more for quality OEM parts.

You got $150 I can borrow :msp_confused: which is way more than 1/2 of what I paid for the saw to begin with

You didn't answer my question though.

Yes I did ;)

Locating pins are on the INTAKE side of the piston.....:msp_sneaky:

I guess I read the meatier reply as Antonio thought your particular lower ring end gap locating pin was installed on the exhaust side of the piston due to an inversion of the piston by the operator at the pin installing fixture.

I guess I read the meatier reply as Antonio thought your particular lower ring end gap locating pin was installed on the exhaust side of the piston due to an inversion of the piston by the operator at the pin installing fixture.

That is exactly how it reads to me as well, but the pins are in their proper location.....

Antonio rides a Vespa scooter to work :D

Meteor reply #2....

Dear Jeremy,

Thanks for your reply, maybe I was not clear in my explanation but it is not easy for me to explain the problem, anyway as you are in big trouble please give me your complete address (including phone number because it is requested by our courier) and we will arrange a despatch by our express courier to you with a free piston just to solve your trouble, ok?

Awaiting for your reply,
Thanks and best regards

Antonio

No idea why you guys insist on aftermarket parts when OEM is available. IMO, if the saw is worth rebuilding, it's worth paying a bit more for quality OEM parts.

If it were a "bit" more, I would buy more OEM parts. I think they are better...but not 4X better as their price reflects. Yesterday at my Stihl dealer...wanted to order a piston for a BG56 leaf blower. "I'm sorry sir, the replacement piston is only available as a matched pair with the cylinder at a discounted price of $208, however a brand new blower is available on the shelf for $239.00". So...rather than sell me a piston for a reasonable profit, I trashed the Stihl blower and bought an Echo. Not to hijack this thread but I hate Stihl's philosophy on parts.

#### happens. They make a nice piston, there IS going to be flawed products from time to time. They are taking care of you. It sucks to have to wait, but there are much worse things.

If it were a "bit" more, I would buy more OEM parts. I think they are better...but not 4X better as their price reflects. Yesterday at my Stihl dealer...wanted to order a piston for a BG56 leaf blower. "I'm sorry sir, the replacement piston is only available as a matched pair with the cylinder at a discounted price of $208, however a brand new blower is available on the shelf for $239.00". So...rather than sell me a piston for a reasonable profit, I trashed the Stihl blower and bought an Echo. Not to hijack this thread but I hate Stihl's philosophy on parts.

:agree2:

My EXACT reason for buying a Meteor piston.

Seems I have seen these pictures before... hmm, now to recall where?

:laugh:

Last edited:

It's not just Stihl...though they may be best at it, but Husky, Jonsered do the same thing......around 1992 I needed a piston for my original 49sp I bought new in 1977 for $250.00.....they said they couldn't sell me just a piston (BS!!! IPL lists the piston separate) but could/would sell me a new P&C for a mere $175.00 plus tax...plus shipping...

That pictured piston is a bomb waiting for a match.....but built by a person and inspected by another person......all it takes is a blink or someone yelling to distract the inspector...etc. This can happen on ANY line...not really an issue of OEM vs AM....Meteor make very good pistons for a realistic price....and it seems like they are bending over backwards to make it right for you.

Back