Michigan firewood dealers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abohac

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I use firewood as a secondary inocme but won't sell wood for less than a profit and really don't want to irritate guys who sell wood for a living. How do you guys see the market in Michigan next year (exclude Detroit and suburbs). I was thinking $55.00 for pick-up and $2.00 per mile delivery with a discount for 5 or more face cords. Am I cutting anyones throat at these prices? For the cost of saws, oil, gas,transportation (have all the wood I need) saw maintenance etc. I don't think I'm out of line but I really want to know if I'm low.

I use firewood as a secondary inocme but won't sell wood for less than a profit and really don't want to irritate guys who sell wood for a living. How do you guys see the market in Michigan next year (exclude Detroit and suburbs). I was thinking $55.00 for pick-up and $2.00 per mile delivery with a discount for 5 or more face cords. Am I cutting anyones throat at these prices? For the cost of saws, oil, gas,transportation (have all the wood I need) saw maintenance etc. I don't think I'm out of line but I really want to know if I'm low.

No man you're right in line. Up here (Petoskey area) that's exactly what it's going for. $55 YOU PICK IT UP AND LOAD IT. Delivery is actual cost of GAS $$$$$$$$$$$ plus labor.

I'll sell all day long for $55/face cord...........and it's going FAST..........

OH! The guys who sell it for a living? Screw them, bidness is bidness...

Just an old Jackpine Savage.....................

If I sell any this fall it will be for at least $50 a face cord. Dont know about delivery, gas may be over $5 by then

No man you're right in line. Up here (Petoskey area) that's exactly what it's going for. $55 YOU PICK IT UP AND LOAD IT. Delivery is actual cost of GAS $$$$$$$$$$$ plus labor.

I'll sell all day long for $55/face cord...........and it's going FAST..........

OH! The guys who sell it for a living? Screw them, bidness is bidness...

Just an old Jackpine Savage.....................

Just curious. I have a ton of wood to get after. I cut about 200 face cords and between my stove, my dad's 2 stoves and the guy that works for him (all outdoor boilers) we went through about a 100 of it ourselves and I sold the rest and it's all gone. I really don't like to cut in the summer but I have 300 tops I bouhgt from a guy (I think about a face cord per top) and I think if I had 40-50 on hand I'd be ahead of the game. Mosquitos are a ##### in July though. Thanks for the reply.

If I sell any this fall it will be for at least $50 a face cord. Dont know about delivery, gas may be over $5 by then

I just won't sell it if I can't make a profit. Too much money in equipment and too hard of a job to work for nothing.

I'd say $200 per cord minimum given LP prices. Thats basically $65 a face. I was at the Timberwolf Dealer today in Columbus, he's starting at $240 by the sounds of it. That's metro prices though so... Drug home a TW6:chainsaw: :clap: :givebeer:

Second thought Michigan is in a little (not much) worseshape than Ohio so might bring slightly less, not much though IMHO

I'd say $200 per cord minimum given LP prices. Thats basically $65 a face. I was at the Timberwolf Dealer today in Columbus, he's starting at $240 by the sounds of it. That's metro prices though so... Drug home a TW6:chainsaw: :clap: :givebeer:

You mean full cord for $200 right? That sounds way high compared to what I"m paying up here. I just got this load delivered for $750, up $30 from the same loads last year. Almost all hard maple and beech. This was a ten pole cord load.

Tazman, I was talking already processed. Triaxle loads like that are about 120-150 per load (about 8 cord). Thats what one of the big guys told me anyway. Nice looking poles by the way.

Tazman, I was talking already processed. Triaxle loads like that are about 120-150 per load (about 8 cord). Thats what one of the big guys told me anyway. Nice looking poles by the way.

Yah there's other ways to go to. Michigan Maple Block sells end cut offs for $25 truckload, and a veneer mill will sell you their cores for a little bit of nothing too.

Heck I just like cutting and splitting. Keeps me out of trouble and in shape. Selling firewood is NOT going to get you rich.

Well, if the price of LP keeps going up I may be able to make a little more than I currently do anyway. I don't care, I just want to heat my house and make a little cash on the side. That way I can buy more chainsaw and motorcycle CRAP.............LOL!

BTW LP was running around $3/gallon up here last winter. Several companies got busted for scalping people..........

Wow, how could I get something like that in southern Michigan, as I'm down by the Ohio line.

I saw it anywhere from $75 to $40 per face this year,you pick up.

I'm not far from you (Owosso) and I saw some of that $40 stuff also. I thought the guy must be just clearing some dead stuff up and want to sell it to get rid of it. there is no way I would cut and split for $40.

Yah there's other ways to go to. Michigan Maple Block sells end cut offs for $25 truckload, and a veneer mill will sell you their cores for a little bit of nothing too.

Heck I just like cutting and splitting. Keeps me out of trouble and in shape. Selling firewood is NOT going to get you rich.

Well, if the price of LP keeps going up I may be able to make a little more than I currently do anyway. I don't care, I just want to heat my house and make a little cash on the side. That way I can buy more chainsaw and motorcycle CRAP.............LOL!

BTW LP was running around $3/gallon up here last winter. Several companies got busted for scalping people..........
I'm the same way. I just like it. I love hearing a screaming saw and seeing what I got done at the end of the day. And as dumb as this sounds, I get a charge out of splitting wood (almost all with a TW6). I won't give it away though.

I'm the same way. I just like it. I love hearing a screaming saw and seeing what I got done at the end of the day. And as dumb as this sounds, I get a charge out of splitting wood (almost all with a TW6). I won't give it away though.

Ya' know Abo, wife and I both are gettin older. We've tried the Gym (HATE it), we've tried home exercise equipment (HATE it), BUT, we both love to get out in the woods or cut the dang stuff around the house. Gives us something to do and gets us exercise too.

Gas just topped $4/gallon up here yesterday and I don't see the price coming down. It's a win win for both of us.

It most certainly did! Frank does me right EVERY time. I've got another load coming in September.

I thought it looked like some of our handiwork. I do a lot of contract harvesting for Frank. He does use another guy but typically he cuts down to a lot smaller diameter than us, and your load looks to be larger stuff.

Mostly I see Bill on the loading end of things, unless he gets it stuck in the mud at the landing and has to take it back off. :(

I thought it looked like some of our handiwork. I do a lot of contract harvesting for Frank. He does use another guy but typically he cuts down to a lot smaller diameter than us, and your load looks to be larger stuff.

Mostly I see Bill on the loading end of things, unless he gets it stuck in the mud at the landing and has to take it back off. :(

This loads actually quite managable. The last load I got had some huge stuff in it. Good wood but must have come out of somewhere that hadn't been logged since the turn of the century (the LAST one).

Are you guys still supplying Maple Block or Manthei's? That may be one of the last factories left in this county.

Damm black flies are thinking it's McDonalds when you're outside the last couple of days. Been eating us alive.

That would stink to get stuck at the landing and have to unload that truck.....

Actually if you got that load in the last five months or so it came from a job that Frank cut about 15 - 18 years ago. He does a good job of management and selective cutting although in the last few years more and more people are looking at the short term and cut their woods pretty hard.

Nothing going to Maple Block and not much to Manthei. Most goes down or out of state. It is amazing that Maple Block keeps plugging along, I heard rumors a while back about a shutdown but nothing came of it.

The last week or so the bugs are BAD. Had to dig out my mesh bug hat to do any work outside the machine.

Since he got his new truck he doesn't get stuck too often, but usually gets it stuck good when he does. We start by trying to get it out with the skidder pulling on the front and the fowarder pushing on the rear. If that doesn't work it's unload the truck time.

Back