Mid range saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeAce

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i am posting this here because I want the opinions of tree service people and not weekend wood cutters. Although some of those folks know a lot about saws. my question is pretty simple, I am wanting another mid range saw and was leaning towards another 260 pro, cept they dont seem to make it anymore. OK..261 pro, ok....cept when I read the description it starts talking about 50% better fuel economy and 20% lower emmissions. When I hear those words in referance to a chain saw i kinda wanna puke. I dont feel good about it. Its not a truck. I am afraid its a POS. Am I wrong? Is ANY ONE out there running a 261? I was also looking at a 280. Looks nice but I think the case is to long, seemed kinda odd or atleast when I picture myself chunking a spar I think it would feel strange. I could be wrong on that. I am also considering a 290 or even a 250 cuz its cheap and I could toss it to the ground crew and kinda sneak my 260 pro away n kinda stash it. For 300 bucks if it lasted 2 or 3 years as a groundie saw I would be ok with it. I also thought about a 361 but then all of a sudden (kinda the same with the 261) I am pushing the price of a 440 which is to close to the price of a 460 which is to close to 1000 and I am not trying to drop a grand right now. Plus a just dont want the next saw to be so big cuz I want it a little more "handy" in the tree and even more so on the ground. I dont like anyone (other than me) limbing up branches for the chipper with a 460. makes me nervous. Chaps an all I dont like it. Its ok if I do it and I can use a 460 in a tree but its often just way more saw than I need. Any thoughts?

PS, If this should be moved then I understand. And please dont start with the husky vs stihl thing. I have nothing against husky, just never really used em and will be sticking with Stihl.

Last edited:
My 260 went down over the Summer and the only replacement I could find for it (far from home) was a 261. I passed. They wanted $200 just to tear my 260 down and look at it. I just made due with the 361 until I got home and had my guy put a new piston in my 260 for $75.

I have owned a couple of 025's in the past and they are solid saws. They lasted a good while too. Just a little heavier power to weight ratio than the pro level saws but not too heavy in the least bit.

I consider saws in that class to be small saws though. I do have a 361 and it is rock solid. Have been running it for 5 years and it still throws snow. Only thing I have had to do to it in that time is fix a fuel line issue and replace a spark plug.

I hear you on the groundys using the big saws. I would let my old groundy use them because he was an experienced sawyer and could keep them sharp but I don't let my new guys use the big saws. The 361 is the biggest one I let them use and I'm not fond of doing that. I've got an old 192 that I let them use on the ground to limb stuff up and they can use the 260 as well. I am the only one who runs my 044 and 660.

i am posting this here because I want the opinions of tree service people and not weekend wood cutters. Although some of those folks know a lot about saws. my question is pretty simple, I am wanting another mid range saw and was leaning towards another 260 pro, cept they dont seem to make it anymore. OK..261 pro, ok....cept when I read the description it starts talking about 50% better fuel economy and 20% lower emmissions. When I hear those words in referance to a chain saw i kinda wanna puke. I dont feel good about it. Its not a truck. I am afraid its a POS. Am I wrong? Is ANY ONE out there running a 261? I was also looking at a 280. Looks nice but I think the case is to long, seemed kinda odd or atleast when I picture myself chunking a spar I think it would feel strange. I could be wrong on that. I am also considering a 290 or even a 250 cuz its cheap and I could toss it to the ground crew and kinda sneak my 260 pro away n kinda stash it. For 300 bucks if it lasted 2 or 3 years as a groundie saw I would be ok with it. I also thought about a 361 but then all of a sudden (kinda the same with the 261) I am pushing the price of a 440 which is to close to the price of a 460 which is to close to 1000 and I am not trying to drop a grand right now. Plus a just dont want the next saw to be so big cuz I want it a little more "handy" in the tree and even more so on the ground. I dont like anyone (other than me) limbing up branches for the chipper with a 460. makes me nervous. Chaps an all I dont like it. Its ok if I do it and I can use a 460 in a tree but its often just way more saw than I need. Any thoughts?

PS, If this should be moved then I understand. And please dont start with the husky vs stihl thing. I have nothing against husky, just never really used em and will be sticking with Stihl.

from your description of your intended use I would not consider the 290 its a big bodied saw I've never had the 2 side by side but I think a 290 seems bulkier then a 440 and its much less of a saw.

250 only seen one in operation for a day and it just cut to slow for my liking

I think we have 1 261 floating around the company and it seems to run good never done any side by side comparisons/races but I have nothing bad to say about it

if you'd be ok with a used saw check out some of the older huskys 51&55 I grabbed a 55 from someone on this site and that is now my go to ground saw for my part time tree biz nice and compact and tons of power when I ware out the chains that came with it I'm stepping it up to a 20" and you can pick them up in pretty good condition on ebay for 100-200 bucks

I work on a crap load of saws every year and do the maintenance/buying for the tree company I work for, so I know a lot about saws. I bought a ms261 last year for the bucket crew, it has been rock solid and is substantially faster than a ms260/026, closer to a 361 really. They are a good bit heavier than a 260 though. I would definitely buy another one if I had to make the decision again.

MS250 run pretty good, but they just don't quite take the beating as well as the pro saws. MS290's are pretty tough, but just too heavy.

If the new prices are bugging you, I would go with a used saw. I buy almost all my saws used, but then again, I've done numerous full rebuilds. So I'm not afraid if they need some work. Nice 026's can be had for right around $200. You could have 2 or 3 of them for the price of a new saw. You could even snag a bigger saw around $350 and have enough for a nice 026. Lots of options. Don't try a Husky, they are too smooothhh.:msp_scared::rock:

I work on a crap load of saws every year and do the maintenance/buying for the tree company I work for, so I know a lot about saws. I bought a ms261 last year for the bucket crew, it has been rock solid and is substantially faster than a ms260/026, closer to a 361 really. They are a good bit heavier than a 260 though. I would definitely buy another one if I had to make the decision again.

MS250 run pretty good, but they just don't quite take the beating as well as the pro saws. MS290's are pretty tough, but just too heavy.

If the new prices are bugging you, I would go with a used saw. I buy almost all my saws used, but then again, I've done numerous full rebuilds. So I'm not afraid if they need some work. Nice 026's can be had for right around $200. You could have 2 or 3 of them for the price of a new saw. You could even snag a bigger saw around $350 and have enough for a nice 026. Lots of options. Don't try a Husky, they are too smooothhh.:msp_scared::rock:
Hey Andy. Some lady at a job passed me a note on a Vermeer 625 for sale. If you know someone looking or something small I'll pass it along.
Phil

A well maintained 250 with the right chain kept sharp is a fine saw. Utility foresters I know ran them everyday hard and in fact handed me one a few years ago when the 365 I was topping with needed fuel. I was impressed, but bought the 260 instead. I won't hesitate to buy a 250 in the future. Looking forward to getting a 460 or 660 this week, but I'm wanting a 261 before the year is out. 260 is stihl going strong though.

Hey Andy. Some lady at a job passed me a note on a Vermeer 625 for sale. If you know someone looking or something small I'll pass it along.
Phil

Phil, we're good on the equipment side of things at the moment. Need a few months to build up some more buying capital. A stumper or bucket will be the next buy.

I can't think of anyone needing a small chipper either.

Listen to this guy, he knows his stuff!

I have been looking at saws online and getting dizzy:laugh:. That 280 keeps catching my eye. i like what I am reading about the 361 but my local saw shop doesnt have it listed. I would assume they can still get one? The fact of the matter is....I like em all! :msp_smile: The 250 would do what I need and would be the economical choice. it would free up the 260 from the groundies with out them needing to use the 460. I have a 026 but she is tired and ready for a well earned spot on the shelf in my garage. I want a chainsaw at home anyway.

I have been looking at saws online and getting dizzy:laugh:. That 280 keeps catching my eye. i like what I am reading about the 361 but my local saw shop doesnt have it listed. I would assume they can still get one? The fact of the matter is....I like em all! :msp_smile: The 250 would do what I need and would be the economical choice. it would free up the 260 from the groundies with out them needing to use the 460. I have a 026 but she is tired and ready for a well earned spot on the shelf in my garage. I want a chainsaw at home anyway.

Both the 280 and 361 are discontinued, as new models have replaced them. I'm a little biased, but I prefer the "pro" saws as they truly are the best saw you can buy.

Both the 280 and 361 are discontinued, as new models have replaced them. I'm a little biased, but I prefer the "pro" saws as they truly are the best saw you can buy.

I know my local shop has at least one 280 cuz its on the shelf and was under the impression they could still get a 361. But maybe not. I assume the 361 qualifies as "pro"? it sounds like a great saw.

034super stihl chainsaw - $200 (jeromesville)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2012-03-05, 12:53PM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

034super. 61.5cc the same motor as a 036. 20''bar and sharpened chain $200 firm 330 466 8 three one 9

Stihl 038av chainsaw rebuilt - $325 (Alliance )

Date: 2012-03-18, 4:19PM EDT

I'm selling a stihl 038 av chainsaw it has a 18 inch bar with a nice chain on it. This is the best saw I've owned and it old school torque. It was rebuilt last year. It's the fastest saw I've had when it comes to cutting it has no problems and runs great. Text me at 3306718372 thanks

stihl 026 pro chainsaw with 18" bar and chain - $275 (polk wooster ashland)

Date: 2012-03-15, 5:12PM EDT

stihl 026 pro chainsaw with 18" bar and chain call or text 419-496-3935 $275obo might trade

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

i like the ms250. With a sharp chain it runs great. It is perfect for intermediary work. I'll start with my ms200t, then ms250, and move up to ms391, and ms880 if needed. I like to not use anything bigger than necessary as it is safer and easier to work with the right sized saw.

Okay I will stop now. I ran a Husky Rancher and Stihl Farmboss but broke down and bought a 260 Pro cuz I was tired of lugging those heavy things up into the tree! They are good for groundwork. 260 is my favorite for limbing and light chunking, 460 for bigger stuff and the 088 for the really big ****! Husky is starting to show its age and the Farmboss is easier to break as compared to the Pro saws. Still amazed that my 192 only needed a new chain after its flight saturday. If it was my money I would probably get the 260 or the 038AV. I am considering the 440. A new or used one.

Personally I like the 362 with the wrap handle. I can throw it any direction I need to cut easily right or left handed. It's not the lightest saw but it's easy to handle in the tree or on the ground. As long as you keep the chain sharp speed isn't a problem.

TA, the ms261 is a good choice, I run one all the time and keep a 20in. bar on it, pulls it no prob.

I have a "like new" 260pro that im selling because I have to many saws..I picked up another ms 200T and ms200rear handle saw, so something got to go...Oh, BTW, dont get that 280, you wont be happy
with it, stick with the "Pro saw's" not homeowner saws......

Back