Mid range saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay I will stop now. I ran a Husky Rancher and Stihl Farmboss but broke down and bought a 260 Pro cuz I was tired of lugging those heavy things up into the tree! They are good for groundwork. 260 is my favorite for limbing and light chunking, 460 for bigger stuff and the 088 for the really big ****! Husky is starting to show its age and the Farmboss is easier to break as compared to the Pro saws. Still amazed that my 192 only needed a new chain after its flight saturday. If it was my money I would probably get the 260 or the 038AV. I am considering the 440. A new or used one.

038 is a boat anchor. It's a beast of burden as much as it weighs. It was my least favorite Stihl. Not that it didn't have plenty of ass because it does, I just grew to hate it because it was the only saw I was allowed to carry in the tree with me when I was young by the guy who taught me crane work.

It's a "Guido" saw. :hmm3grin2orange:

I mostly do timming and some removals and run oldre saws I have a 025 that is over 12 years old and has had fuel lines once and air filters and spark plugs thats it still stats on2-3 pull, light an with the .325 chain 16" thin bar it cuts fine and light in th tree,
bought a ms 200 last summer and it blows my 192 away pulled the spark arester out last week and it is a hot rod, but almost twice the price, the 034 is the with a 20" bar and .325" fast chain is a great saw mine was new in 1989 has had fuel lines once and air filter and plug, it has oil adjuster, ave, lighter than a 36 and with a little muffler cleanning it is a hot rod the .325" chain has more cutters per inch than the 3/8" but a little smaller chip, so it is higher rpm cut, great ground saw and still light enough togo up a
large spar with,I have an old 038 morfidite on my stumpgrinder trailer gave 150 for it on CL and wouldnt give that for it again it is heavy cant change over to .325 so I canuse my 20 +other 20" chins and my 034 cuts circles around it,
I need a 440 about 2-4 times a year and make due with the 034 so you know that it gets its share, they are hard to find used because they dont quit, the only thing that can kill them is bad fuel lines causing it to suck air and galled the piston look on the classifieds on here a lot of guys rebuild them and make mods, a moded 034 would be nice,also if you are in ethenol gas state like me the older carbs hold up better than the new ones, my 200 already sounds a little lean, pulled spark aresster and that helped but I think the alki hardens the fuel pump diaphram quicker on the new saws,
Paul

346xp light enough, nimble an mid size power in a smaller saw

I have one of these and it is my favorite all around saw. The only thing is, the poor OP has decided he will only runs stihls, therefore he will be depriving himself of pure excellence. So sad.

I have one of these and it is my favorite all around saw. The only thing is, the poor OP has decided he will only runs stihls, therefore he will be depriving himself of pure excellence. So sad.
I have nothing against Husky. i would run a Husky. first thing i would need to do is find an actual dealer in my area. Ya know, other than Lowes or Home depot. Although I am thinking the huskys at those places arnt the same as the ones you guys are mentioning. I do like the idea of the necks of a few people I know nearly breaking when they do a double take when they see me using a husky....;) could be fun. HHmmmmmm

038 is a boat anchor. It's a beast of burden as much as it weighs. It was my least favorite Stihl. Not that it didn't have plenty of ass because it does, I just grew to hate it because it was the only saw I was allowed to carry in the tree with me when I was young by the guy who taught me crane work.

It's a "Guido" saw. :hmm3grin2orange:

the last time I used an 038 was about 20 years ago and I remember thinking dam this thing is heavy. And I was obv much younger and in dam fine shape. It was a solid runner but my God it was a "lug". Boat achor really does sum it up well. No offense silver

Whats up with the husky 357? I have heard people around here speak well of it. I think i have anyway. I love the sound of it.....I can hear myself now "gimme the 357!" or better "grab that 357 and follow me!" ha ha...I like it....

And I am sure this is of no surprise to many here but I did call my saw shop and was told that they could not get anymore 361s. he said they been gone for a year or two. So felt kinda dumb but oh well. Then he started in on the 362 sales pitch. Tried to tell me how great the low emission will be when I am up in a tree and no exhaust blowing in my face. and the lower fuel consumption is really just a technical wonder. I just not feeling it. he told me the rack is full of all there new inventory and just "come on over" and check em out. I am sure. They do like me there that is true. every time I walk in there its aleast 100 bucks I drop and some times alot more. I may stop by on Saturday.

On our truck is 2 200t 1 346xp liming and blocking down med trees 2 365xp bucking and blocking down big trees and not always on truck 2 394 xp big big trees I no there huskys but cross over numbers If you buy saw with cat muffler get rid of it they run too hot. I do like stihl too but boss says no.

Now this I don't understand... Don't the fellows who buy a 260 do it because it's a pro--ie. re-buildable saw?
Just askin'!

-br

It has been re built once. It was the first good saw I ever bought. It is an 026 not a 260. I got her when it first came out, I am thinking in about 1989 or 1990.

I should also say that it has not seen constant use. for many many years it was just my side job saw. I was to smart to bring it to work when I was working for other tree services. But she has DEF thrown her share of saw chips.

Last edited:
It has been re built once. It was the first good saw I ever bought. It is an 026 not a 260. I got her when it first came out, I am thinking in about 1989 or 1990.

I should also say that it has not seen constant use. for many many years it was just my side job saw. I was to smart to bring it to work when I was working for other tree services. But she has DEF thrown her share of saw chips.

Ahh... Now I get it.
Thanks for sharing!:msp_thumbsup:
and good luck with the search
-br

So, while you did not respond to the OP and his question, you decide to chime in and tell us what your boss has on certain trucks and what your boss does not have on certain trucks and what your boss say's 'No' to. You never answered the OP.
Jeff :msp_confused:

So, while you did not respond to the OP and his question, you decide to chime in and tell us what your boss has on certain trucks and what your boss does not have on certain trucks and what your boss say's 'No' to. You never answered the OP.
Jeff :msp_confused:

In case I missed the quote, this is directed at 'fir', post #30
Jeff

On the 357, I haven't run one myself but a guy I did a little subbing for a few years back was running one. I think it is comparable to a 460. He said he could run a 36" bar on it (within spec). I didn't see him run it because he was cleaning up behind me but I know he got through 6' logs with that saw because I put it on the ground. I bet it was some hella work though, like I said, i didn't see him buck it but he made it disappear after I put it on the ground.

On the 357, I haven't run one myself but a guy I did a little subbing for a few years back was running one. I think it is comparable to a 460. He said he could run a 36" bar on it (within spec). I didn't see him run it because he was cleaning up behind me but I know he got through 6' logs with that saw because I put it on the ground. I bet it was some hella work though, like I said, i didn't see him buck it but he made it disappear after I put it on the ground.

MD, that 357 only has 56cc...its more like a ms361 in power, a little less though, but def. not a 460, just saying

MD, that 357 only has 56cc...its more like a ms361 in power, a little less though, but def. not a 460, just saying

Gotcha.

I'm not that familiar with Husky saws. I have used some husky's that were beasts when I was younger and working for other services but I haven't owned one myself in years.

How that dude got through that spar with that saw I'll never know... Just glad I wasn't the one that had to do it. :hmm3grin2orange:

These both do appear to be excellent chainsaws. I like the price of the 346

HUSQVARNA 346 XP® - Professional chainsaws

And it seems this one will run both .325 and 3/8 chain which I kinda like.
And it just seems tough.

HUSQVARNA 357 XP® - Professional chainsaws

346xp is a sweet saw. They are gonna be replaced some time late this year/next year by the 550xp. I have one in the Jonsered version and it is a little sweetheart. Cuts strong and doesn't weigh much. You can get one for $450 or so in Middlefield/Burton.

The 357xp has been discontinued. It has been replaced by the 562xp, which I demoed one for a week. The 562 is by far a superior saw, but the 357 isn't bad in any way. It's like a ms361 in size and power. You might be able to knock a dealer down on price a little since they already have the 562xp out, trying to get rid of old stock.

If you want to go Husky, you're not gonna beat the prices you will find out in Middlefield/Burton. You could buy a 372xp for about $750 for example, retail is $850. Dealer support is good too. Lots of tree companies make the trek out from the suburbs to stock up on saws and supplies out there.

Back