Mid range saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to get too far off topic here but my local shop supply place called me today and asked if I still wanted that t540xp? Sure I said. Apparently its on its way and it's 650.00... Better be a good saw..

Not to get too far off topic here but my local shop supply place called me today and asked if I still wanted that t540xp? Sure I said. Apparently its on its way and it's 650.00... Better be a good saw..

If you get one some feed back would be great!
OP the 346 and 357 are very nice saws I have both as well as many other husky saws. The 346 is what I think is the perfect saw for climbing and bucket work, after a 200t, it is light, fast, and powerful. The 357 is my favorite saw all around, a bit heavier than the 346 but thunders through the wood with an 18" bar.

I bought a 261 last summer and it's been a great mid-range saw for me. Lots of power and dependable. I've had a 250 for 4 years and wished I would have spent the extra $300.00 and gotten the 261 (260) back then.

OP the 346 and 357 are very nice saws I have both as well as many other husky saws. The 346 is what I think is the perfect saw for climbing and bucket work, after a 200t, it is light, fast, and powerful. The 357 is my favorite saw all around, a bit heavier than the 346 but thunders through the wood with an 18" bar.

Will that 346 handle a 20 inch bar ok? Its not a huge big deal, just that i have alot of 20 inch chains. I found a dealer close to me but I am skeptical thats its just a couple of saws covered in dust. I will check it out. maybe a trip to Middlefield sometime who knows. Then I could stop at Arborwear! talk about killing birds with stones....could get expensive.

interesting.

Last week i was told end of June and August 13 by two very reputable sources. Go figure.

346 is what i would get.

Just saying from experience. I run a 20" .325 bar and chain and it rips. Great weight for up in the air. Cheaper than the 261 also.

Will that 346 handle a 20 inch bar ok? Its not a huge big deal, just that i have alot of 20 inch chains. I found a dealer close to me but I am skeptical thats its just a couple of saws covered in dust. I will check it out. maybe a trip to Middlefield sometime who knows. Then I could stop at Arborwear! talk about killing birds with stones....could get expensive.

Arborwear is due for their spring sale, so if you are going to come out this way, you should tie it into that weekend. It is almost across the street from the Ramble Inn which serves great beer and burgers so shoot me a PM if you are coming to the Middlefield area.....Hell, if you are coming this far, stop by my house and I will let you cut something with my 346xp. The guys at First Quality in Middlefield are a real good group, there is also Alvord's over in Chardon, I like them too.

You can run a 20 inch bar on it and shouldn't have any issues. I run an 18 on mine and can only say good things about it. In fact, I use that saw as much as I can.

Arborwear is due for their spring sale, so if you are going to come out this way, you should tie it into that weekend. It is almost across the street from the Ramble Inn which serves great beer and burgers so shoot me a PM if you are coming to the Middlefield area.....Hell, if you are coming this far, stop by my house and I will let you cut something with my 346xp. The guys at First Quality in Middlefield are a real good group, there is also Alvord's over in Chardon, I like them too.

You can run a 20 inch bar on it and shouldn't have any issues. I run an 18 on mine and can only say good things about it. In fact, I use that saw as much as I can.

that sounds like it could be a good plan. I like it.

That is what I run on my 346 a 20" wit .325 full comp round ground chizzy. It does very well in a wide range of wood I try not to bear down on it too hard when buried in a hard wood like sun baked sugar maple and such, but for the lightness and nimbleness I don't care. Sure you can horse a bigger saw up a tree but why pack the extra weight if you don't have too.

Interesting. Van Curen has had one since the winter, but it's their own demo saw from Husky. They like it and want another. The last I heard was the dealers had a PN for them, but no idea when they would show, just sometime this year.

I like the ms201t with a muff mod. Nice saw with good power. I have a ms200 ripped down right now, getting a new crank, bearings, seals and carb. Should be oww so sweet when done.

Treeace, Middlefield is king for saws around here. Ray's Repair or First Quality are excellent husky dealers. I know both those guys really well and so does my wallet.:msp_biggrin: Ray's Repair is gonna have the cheaper price though. I know Smallwood deals with First Quality. It's really a toss up to me. I try to spread the wealth. Then you have other saw shops such as Miller's Small Engine and Joe's Saw Shop.

Interesting. Van Curen has had one since the winter, but it's their own demo saw from Husky. They like it and want another. The last I heard was the dealers had a PN for them, but no idea when they would show, just sometime this year.

I like the ms201t with a muff mod. Nice saw with good power. I have a ms200 ripped down right now, getting a new crank, bearings, seals and carb. Should be oww so sweet when done.

Treeace, Middlefield is king for saws around here. Ray's Repair or First Quality are excellent husky dealers. I know both those guys really well and so does my wallet.:msp_biggrin: Ray's Repair is gonna have the cheaper price though. I know Smallwood deals with First Quality. It's really a toss up to me. I try to spread the wealth. Then you have other saw shops such as Miller's Small Engine and Joe's Saw Shop.

So you are giving your blessings on the ms201t, Andy? I mean my 020T still runs good and hot with a 16 inch bar, but it never hurts to have a backup waiting in the stable.....I mean as far as I am concerned what you say about chainsaws is gospel bro......

As soon as I have a minute I am gonna check around me and see if there as a decent shop that deals husky. I really dont mind the trip out there but ya gotta keep in mind gas hit 3.95 here. And i am driving an F-350. I am sure that Arborwear is 1 hour each way so I think that translates into 50 bucks and my time (which is getting short lately). My point is just that it makes sense to try here first i think. But i am alittle worried that the dealers around me may be half ass lawn mower shops. I think I have my mind pretty well made up and wanna get a 346.
epicklein22- I just backed up n re-read your post and will keep in mind what you said. It may be worth the trip to Middlefield.

Arborwear is due for their spring sale, so if you are going to come out this way, you should tie it into that weekend. It is almost across the street from the Ramble Inn which serves great beer and burgers so shoot me a PM if you are coming to the Middlefield area.....Hell, if you are coming this far, stop by my house and I will let you cut something with my 346xp.

I'm in :cheers:

Dude I'm just torn.. stihl broke my heart with those flippy caps - I just can't get over it. I won't buy another one untill the flippy caps are banished from the earth forever... And I get a public apology from stihl.. and a new pair of arborwear pants..

Dude I'm just torn.. stihl broke my heart with those flippy caps - I just can't get over it. I won't buy another one untill the flippy caps are banished from the earth forever... And I get a public apology from stihl.. and a new pair of arborwear pants..

Haha, one of the guys at work had a spill yesterday because of the flippy caps. Didn't get the oil cap on quite right. I don't like em either.

ya know.....that is an excellent point. Flippy caps are junk. I hate them. I just never had any problems with a regular cap. Although i recall some that you could crack if your groundie doesnt know not to crank it tight with a Twrench. but once you know not to do that you are good to go. i wont go so far as to say I wont buy another stihl till there are no more flippy caps but it does make it even easier to buy a Husky. Oh its ON now.:rock: I would like to meet up with some of you guys to. Not sure when though. Between estimates and house moving stuff my Saturdays are booked up. Although I am sure I can figure something out.

So you are giving your blessings on the ms201t, Andy? I mean my 020T still runs good and hot with a 16 inch bar, but it never hurts to have a backup waiting in the stable.....I mean as far as I am concerned what you say about chainsaws is gospel bro......

Haha, I bought a like new 201t for a good price this past winter. I just had to see what everyone was dogging it about. I did the muffler mod and a timing advance, it flat cuts after doing those mods. It doesn't quite have 200t/020t acceleration, but it's not far behind and I think it cuts stronger. I'd stick with your 020t till the end and then some, but don't be afraid of the 201t.

When does Arborwear have this spring sale thing? Is it anything like the pig roast? That was pretty cool.

Back