Mig Welder Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWCS

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
due to my old 1996 Hobart Handler 120 welder being stolen i went out and bought a new welder last night at Home Depot. so far here are my thoughts on it.

Lincoln WeldPak 3200HD Kit

so far on chainsaw mufflers this puts down a much better bead than the Hobart, the low setting is right on the money. the hobart was a bit too hot.
when used with a 75/25 mix that i allways use the weld quality is great! i am using the mild steel wire that came with the welder (made in USA) the flux core wire that came with it is useless to me, i will not use flux core. the gun is also layed out better, much easier to use than the hobart style gun. for just under $500 after tax this is a killer welder. the wire speed settings are very responsive and accurate.

the shortcomings:
1: gas hose needs to be longer
2: assembly instructions are VERY lacking.
3: securing to the included cart leaves the spool door propped open a tiny bit due to screw heads.
4: cables could be 1-2 ft longer, would make things easier.
5: ground clamp could be better.

the good points:
1: heat control is perfect for saw mufflers and tin work.
2: speed control is great.
3: cabinet quality is nice, easy to get to everything.
4: wire loads very easily.
5: gun has perfect neck angle for control and bead visibility. you can actually see what you are doing.
6: gas nozzle superior to hobart design.

overall view: well worth the money, highly recommended for a small shop or handyman type work. ease of use puts the Hobart to shame.
3:

I have a Hobart 140. Now made by Miller. Also have a Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC stick welder. Very satisfied with the Hobart, and I've welded aluminum just fine with it. Fixed a clutch lever on a dirt bike with it. Does just a fine job on welding mufflers. I made a plow mount for my four wheeler with it, and fixed and dual ported a muffler on my 039 with it. Very nice welder. The Miller 135 was just too expensive, and the nice thing about a 120v welder is, is that you can run it on a 120v Generator. I like my Hobart! I've used Hobart Beta Mig 2000's, a Beta Mig 2510, and a Miller Millermatic 185. My Hobart has the same gun as the Miller 185. Bead quality is very good. When adjusted right, I don't really notice a difference in bead qualities between the Beta Mig's and my little Handler 140. The Beta Mig's have Tweco guns, though. Except the 2510, which has a 'piecemaker' gun.

"the nice thing about a 120v welder is, is that you can run it on a 120v Generator. "

Ha, I thought I was the only one doing this.:hmm3grin2orange:

Hey Ben, how bout some pics of your new baby?

That nozzle on the gun almost looks Tweco. :D Is it a Tweco gun? I like Miller guns more; I like the nozzles more, and the gun angle. Mine came with a little cart, but I want to make a heavier cart, as I have already put a heavier cylinder than it warns on it. I have a 75/25 cylinder for steel, and an argon cylinder for aluminum. I want to make a cart with space for both cylinders.

Yes, the sp135 plus has infinite heat adjustment, much nicer, or another 35-40 you could have the Miller 135 that has the much better controls like the sp135, but has a metal feed gudes vs. the plastic on the Lincoln.
Andy

home depot did not have one and i needed the welder last night, no delay. in the future i will probly upgrade to an Esab, but this has to do for now.

Think Blue as in a Miller. Both Hobart and Miller are owned by ITW and share many of the same parts. Some of the Hobarts have plastic drive wheels where the Millers are Alum and steel. The Lincs are good but i am a true blue fan...Bob

NWCS said:
Alright , Alright ...........lets see a few beads there brother. Butt joint is fine , a "T" is even better. What wire are u using ? L-56 ?

sawinredneck said:
Yes, the sp135 plus has infinite heat adjustment, much nicer, or another 35-40 you could have the Miller 135 that has the much better controls like the sp135, but has a metal feed gudes vs. the plastic on the Lincoln.
Andy
Miller welders are real nice

The 135 looks pretty good, and welding on 115v is really convenient.

However, I am leaning toward the Millermatic 210, for the extra power to weld up to 3/8".

Local dealer here has pretty good discounted pricing, and they've been around forever, stand by the stuff.

Wow. Now I am truly impressed. You guys are into saws AND welding!
:bowdown:

musch said:

The 135 looks pretty good, and welding on 115v is really convenient.

However, I am leaning toward the Millermatic 210, for the extra power to weld up to 3/8".

Local dealer here has pretty good discounted pricing, and they've been around forever, stand by the stuff.

O' Yeah , Get the Millermatic 210 ..... you wont regret it. You'll be on your way , then you'll have to get the Miller 625 plasma cutter and then , and then .....

musch said:

should i mention my Lincoln Ranger 9 Arc? Powered by an Onan Performer 18. one heck of a sweet welder. that machine is the reason i went with the Lincoln mig this time around.

I almost bought a Miller 135 or Hobart 180. My Hobart does have steel drive rollers, too. Every part I can find on it has a Miller stamp.

Miller and Hobart are the same. Miller has the fancy options, Hobart is just the bare bones. In the small MIG machines, I think Miller makes a better product - all copper windings, metal wire feed mechanism, infinite controls. That is why I bought my Millermatic 175 about 4+ years ago. It has been a great machine.

Then, I got to looking at a TIG machine. Wanted some high performance "pro" features in a small package, and Lincoln was the only one to offer it at the time. Ended up with a Precision TIG 185. Came ready to weld (torch, tungsten, gas cups, stinger and 25' cable, regulator, etc.) with a free bottle of Gas for $1320 - a special promotion from a local shop - no complaints from me! What a great machine. The pulse feature is priceless. Miller then came out with a nicer machine about a year+ later, but it also carries a price tag around $2K. I am happy with what I bought, and I am sure the machines will serve me well for the rest of my life!

Ben, as far as Esab goes - I just think they are pricey - don't think they are any better than Miller (USA).

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/lecobrowse.asp?locale=1033

http://products.esabna.com/index.html/screen/home/lang/EN/display_id/id44bfea496b84f7.83025682

musch said:

Sure we are, and a few other hobbies :hmm3grin2orange:
I have a MM185 which was the predecessor to the MM210 same weldable settings but still able to do 3/8" pl. I also have the spoolgun for alum and reaching high on my buddys bucket truck with steel wire...Bob

The MM210 is NICE, but probably a little overkill for most home work. I have a MM210 at work w/spool gun for aluminum, almost wish I had one at home, but the Hobart Handler 135 has done everything from fixing toy wagons, building my barn, to making a wood splitter for my tractor! It's a great little machine.

oneadam12 said:
The MM210 is NICE, but probably a little overkill for most home work. I have a MM210 at work w/spool gun for aluminum, almost wish I had one at home, but the Hobart Handler 135 has done everything from fixing toy wagons, building my barn, to making a wood splitter for my tractor! It's a great little machine.
YOU welded up a wood splitter with a HH 135!? The HH135 is good for steel up to 3/16" so how did you build that?

Latest posts

Back