Might be an old question but, is there a Heavy Duty Air Filter Kit for Dolmar 5105.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evan454

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i live in a fairly dust area (huge dusty dirt driveway and plenty of dirt road next to my house) and am not impressed with the dolmar filter. i want a HD filter kit but cant find one for my saw. the 7900 has a nice HD kit with a different cover. will this fit or is it totally different. i didn't compare them at all. is there a different brand maybe that has a better filter. or is there some thing i could do to to make it better. other than that i like the saw alot. im just trying to get threw the quirks before i use it in the spring when the snow melts and the dirt dries out.

The HD kit for the 6400 etc wil not fit the 5105. I have had a 510 for about 1.5 years and have not found the filtering to be a problem. I just picked up a 5105, have not had occasion to run it yet, but I do not expect a problem with that either. I am not aware of any HD kit for the 510-5100-5105 series of saws.

just looked at the filter again. i thought it was the nylon filter but it doesnt look like it. it looks more like a fleece type. the filter material is a yellow color. just doesnt look like a high quality type. would it be wise to buy another and oil them and rotate filters each time i use it? i think it said its washable so it should last long. but i will probly put a little red rtv on the filter neck as a gasket. then put it back on when its totaly dry

I had a dolmar 510 for a while, and didn't find the filters to be too much of a problem. I was happy with the saw when I parted with it--they're nice saws to run, but I got my hands on a 346xpg.

The filters have a seam and two little tabs so you can split them. To clean them split them and then get a big bowl or paint can sized container and fill it with warm water and mild detergent and shake the halves gently. They will clean up very nicely. Then rinse and allow them to dry. You're really not supposed to use compressed air on the flocked material, and in my experience if you do use sufficient pressure to blow out the debris, damage seems likely.

Lots of people have used a spray filter oil on them. this helps trap fines. The filters supposedly get dirty faster and may be a bit harder to clean.

Some people were also applying a thick grease to seal between the filter and the throat.

There is no HD filter kit for the smaller saws. They explored making one but supposedly decided there definitely wasnt enough of a market for it.

i looked at the 346xp lineup before i bought the dolmar. but i didnt want to spend more than 450. so i passed and plus i just like to be different. their are so many husky and stihl owners around it just doesnt feel right joining the crowd, since it is a personal saw for home/land use. but if i had a business or a job doing this stuff i might have gotten a stihl because of their great products. i like both brands alot and have used some of both but the dolmars feel and sound the nicest imo.

i looked at the 346xp lineup before i bought the dolmar. but i didnt want to spend more than 450. so i passed and plus i just like to be different. their are so many husky and stihl owners around it just doesnt feel right joining the crowd, since it is a personal saw for home/land use. but if i had a business or a job doing this stuff i might have gotten a stihl because of their great products. i like both brands alot and have used some of both but the dolmars feel and sound the nicest imo.

I hear you. I like my dolmar/makita saws better than my stihl's. I just picked up 2 echo's to give them a try. So many guys on this site have the brand blinders on and it gets old after a while.

Most all saws filtration just doesn't cut it in some of the conditions that we experience on this side of the world.

Even Huskies vaunted filtration falls away on their larger saws, 3120's need filter oil to maintain their warranty here, Stihls filtration is woeful, 880's need the HD filter system with some dealers refusing to sell 361's in dusty areas.

The only filter system that seems to work well is the 64/73/7900 HD one.
Matt/MCW has a brace of 7900's, 390 and 3120 Huskies, a new Stihl 660 and a 5100S.

The only saws that keep the dust out are the HD Dolmar/Makita filters.

His 5100 has the filters oiled, and he just swaps them out, as we both did with the 7900 ones before the advent of the HD filter.

Matt has just taken delivery of a Stihl MS261 and so far the filter looks like it's up to scratch, the one big advantage it has over his 5100 ATM.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/166317.htm#post2808983

His 5100 has the filters oiled, and he just swaps them out, as we both did with the 7900 ones before the advent of the HD filter.
It should be noted to use oil that's designed for paper filters (like K & N) and
not oil that's for foam filters.

I use K&N oil on my 5105 filters and no fines get though at all.I also find that they clean up very easy with a little air or some warm water. I normally just blow them off and re-oil lightly, this only takes a min or two.The only draw back is the filter does get dirty faster but 2 clean filters will last the whole day.

i was thinking k&n was a good choice. it might be getting dirty faster but its doing its job when it gets dirty. if it not getting dirty then its not filtering very good

It should be noted to use oil that's designed for paper filters (like K & N) and
not oil that's for foam filters.

Why ?

Foam filter oil is what Matt and I both use, much easier to get here than K&N oil, and FWIW K&N are pleated cotton, not paper.
Oil's a no-no on any paper/cellulose fibre filter.

The flocked filters used on saws are a type of fibre glass/synthetic fibre

I don't have dusty conditions, and am not really worried about the filtration of the 5100S, even though it is obviously not as good as on the 346xp/2153.
The only issue I have with that saw is how it handles in the woods, so it stays in the yard.

As Rick mentioned above we are constantly battling dust getting through filters in most regional Australian areas.
My 5100-S has probably the worst filtration of any of my saws. Oiling the filter stopped it immediately and I run 4 filters now but they block up in probably 1/4 the time.
If the Dolmar 5100-S (basically the same filter as the 5105 if not the same) had a HD kit available or a better filter I would not have just purchased a new Stihl MS261. By the way, I love that little Dolmar :)
Filtration is very important to me as in our conditions I can assure you it is more than just wood dust getting through and the last thing I want on a very valuable modded, $1500 saw is 120psi compression instead of 190psi after a few years of use in dusty conditions :cheers:

The only issue I have with that saw is how it handles in the woods, so it stays in the yard.
Nothing to do with this thread.
Do you ever miss a chance to inject that opinion in any 5100s thread ?
You seem to have a vendetta against this saw.
Many of us think it handles great in our hands. You don't. We know this. We've all heard it 100 times. Enough ? :confused:

Nothing to do with this thread.
Do you ever miss a chance to inject that opinion in any 5100s thread ?
You seem to have a vendetta against this saw.
Many of us think it handles great in our hands. You don't. We know this. We've all heard it 100 times. Enough ? :confused:

Who is "all" - and it isn't just my opinion! ;)

Who is "all" - and it isn't just my opinion! ;)

I respect your opinion, and you're entitled to it, but this post is (was) about filtration. I don't understand why you need to inject your "handling" opinion into every 5100s thread.

I respect your opinion, and you're entitled to it, but this post is (was) about filtration. I don't understand why you need to inject your "handling" opinion into every 5100s thread.

OK, I see your point - but that doesn't mean that I agree! :biggrin:

Sell me your 5100 for $150 + shipping from Norway and I'll stop whining ? LOL

Last edited:
Sell me your 5100sh for $150 + shipping from Norway and I'll stop whining ? LOL

That was Witchys saw, so of course I will not sell it at any price! :msp_cursing:

She wanted it for bucking firewood logs in the yard, and it is a very good saw for just that!

If you take a small rubber band like the ones women use to tye their hair, and wrap it around the neck of the tube on the carb it will help seal between filter and carb. This will work on other saws with this type of filter to carb set-up. We cut a lot red and white pine at our shop and this helps some with dust. I think the 5100 series are good saws, but they are still not the same class as a Partner 5000. Bye the way the partners primitive air filter worked quite well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back