milking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its common with ropes that have a cover over the core. The cover starts to elongate and stretch past the end of the core. If you think you have a lot of milking going on you are using the wrong rops in the wrong situation.

I asked in reference to buying a new rope. Most all ropes recommended for srt, milk. Lava doesn't and sounds like a good rope but I never heard anything critisisms from somebody who has used it. Anybody? Is milking get to be a problem or is it something that just happens and doesn't really amount to a hill of beans? :monkey: My other choice for a rope is "fire" any recommendations for a good rope to srt with will be appreciated. :clap:

Most double braids will milk, since the line is constructed as a line inside a line. That is why only certain ropes are able to be spliced on both ends arbormaster being one of them. Post the question over in the Sherrill area and see what they come up with. Tobe and crew run probably as much testing on the new lines coming out as the manufacturer does.

Is milking get to be a problem or is it something that just happens and doesn't really amount to a hill of beans? :monkey: My other choice for a rope is "fire" any recommendations for a good rope to srt with will be appreciated. :clap:

I wouldn't worry much about milking. My 150' Velocity milked about 18 inches. I make sure I always leave the "bad" end on the ground and it never bothers me.

I have about 4 different ropes I have used for SRT. All work fine, but the Cadillac of the lot, because it has by far the least stretch, is Sterling HTP static. It is MUCH stiffer than Velocity, and has far less bounce. It is a true kernmantle, with a thin cover and all the strength in the core. The Sterling rope is single purpose; Velocity is more versatile. I like them both, and use them about equally.

What are you going to use for ascenders?

Post the question over in the Sherrill area and see what they come up with.

My original information is coming from the Sherrill catalog. I understand all the other categories under rope specs except, milking. I've read stuff on here about milking but don't remember clearly. I thought it refered to rope milking as your pushed your ascending devise on it. Not the stretching at the end.

What are you going to use for ascenders?

Ahh, a prusik loop. I don't want to spend money on ascenders. Is this possible.

Anybody know why I couldn't try srt out on my Arborplex or True blue?
I'm thinking when you have a tree with obstacles (branches) It takes time to set up both sides of the line. In srt only one side is necessary true of false?

Last edited:
I've got a short hank of Lava, but I've only used it ddrt, never tried srt yet. I really like it alot, no milking, not much friction, fairly static. I'll probably buy it again when I replace my everyday climbing line next.

I don't know how True Blue would work for srt, but Arborplex is one of the most bouncy "static" lines around, I doubt you'd like it much for srt.

Ahh, a prusik loop. I don't want to spend money on ascenders. Is this possible.

Possible, yes, but you won't like it. I don't see the advantage of SRT if it is as hard or harder than DRT.

Anybody know why I couldn't try srt out on my Arborplex or True blue? ...In srt only one side is necessary true of false?

You do plan to descend, right? You can use a half-inch rope SRT for ascending, but how do you plan to get down? Trying to make a prusik work is a huge pain. The affordable and really good mechanical devices won't work on such large rope.

Only one side is necessary, but you need to provide a bullet-proof anchor for the other end. Some people use both legs of the rope as a single rope (no anchor needed), but I have never tried that approach.

Have you read the Smith and Padgett book On Rope? There is a lot of info there that would help you (and keep you safe!).

more explaining

I've got a short hank of Lava, but I've only used it ddrt, never tried srt yet. I really like it alot, no milking, not much friction, fairly static. I'll probably buy it again when I replace my everyday climbing line next.

I don't know how True Blue would work for srt, but Arborplex is one of the most bouncy "static" lines around, I doubt you'd like it much for srt.

True blue is bouncier that the Arborplex.

Possible, yes, but you won't like it. I don't see the advantage of SRT if it is as hard or harder than DRT.

You do plan to descend, right? You can use a half-inch rope SRT for ascending, but how do you plan to get down? Trying to make a prusik work is a huge pain. The affordable and really good mechanical devices won't work on such large rope.

Only one side is necessary, but you need to provide a bullet-proof anchor for the other end. Some people use both legs of the rope as a single rope (no anchor needed), but I have never tried that approach.

Have you read the Smith and Padgett book On Rope? There is a lot of info there that would help you (and keep you safe!).

My deal is; I needed my climbing ropes the other day for bull ropes. Long story short, got me thinking about a new climbing line. Checked the Sherill catalog and decided that srt might come in handy someday and was looking at the narrower rope. Noticed that Lave and I think Lightning were the only ropes that didn't milk. Wondered why and also wondered why I hadn't read on this site why no one has mentioned using it. Hence what is the importance to milking, pro or con. Not jumping into srt but like I said before have run into a couple of instances where ascending on a single line would save time and hassle of getting both ends of the rope down one side of the tree.

Latest posts

Back