Mill with ms 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbol

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is it possible to mill with ms 290. I found this site after I bought my saw and can see the possibilities of using it for milling. I am not talking about huge logs or cuts. Just want to get my feet wet. I think it is 55 cc and the one mill I was looking at said 60 cc minimum.

You could do it with a small mill but it would be slow going and would probably put some stress on the saw. Even 60cc is honestly on the small side. That said, people have certainly done it.

You could do it with a small mill but it would be slow going and would probably put some stress on the saw. Even 60cc is honestly on the small side. That said, people have certainly done it.

I agree. You would be Ok in smaller diameter (6"-8") stuff in short lenghts. But as Zodiac sais it would soon take a toll on your saw if you did it a lot. Give it a shot and if you like it you'll certainly be buying a bigger saw in the near future. Good luck!:cheers:

Yes, but slow.

Is it possible to mill with ms 290??.

I have a 290 as well. I used it with the Granberg mini-mill to slab a side off of a big oak to allow my Mk. III to fit. I cut through 12-20" of wood (yes, the little 20" bar was buried for a while) and was impressed by how well it did...pretty quickly too.

Set it up on your mill and show the S.O. how tough it is...it'll help justify a bigger saw....:)

Good Luck,
Michael

You might find this thread useful.

I occasionally mill stuff under about 16" with a 54cc Homelite 340 saw with a 20" bar running LP chain. OK, it's not speed racer, but it does the job. In fact I have been quite impressed that a plastic housing saw is so reliable and holding together so well.

Latest posts

Back