Milled some Walnut yesterday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betterbuilt

I build stuff from milled slabs
Reaction score
Finally got to try the 076 out. I really like the saw and the extra power was a welcome surprise. As usually the day went good til something breaks. The pull starter broke after two cuts. I switched to the 066 and continued until it broke also. The 066 seems to be something major but who knows till I tear it apart. Every time I think its major its a 2 dollar part. I'll post more pics when I finish the log.

Heres some pics of the spoils. BobL close you eyes. I tried to get it up higher but the site was to soft and my jack kept sinking into the ground.
picture.php

picture.php

It rained this morning and I got a better picture
picture.php

Does anyone know if a 075 and an 076 would match up to be run on a double-ended bar?

I thought I read they were different rpms.

BB, That 076 is 111cc's right? I can see your interest in running two powerheads but I had a friend that showed up with two 090's on a 48" double ender. All he and his partner did was burn up rims and clutches on this Ash depot I have here. He gave up. I'm doing just fine with 101cc's and near done if I hadn't run out of gas! 20 mile round trip for fuel 30 for the good oil. The saw was thirsty but so was I. 6mile round trip for cold beverage. The saw lost out. Nice work man!

Nice slabs - I love crotch wood....

My usual milling saw in an 075 but I've been collecting parts to put together an 090. Thanks to some arboristsite members I should have all the parts next week. When it's done I'm going to try milling with the 090 on one end and the 075 on the other. They are both rated for peak power at the same speed (something like 7500rpm) so I think they should work well together. I'll post the results here once I try it out.

There isn't much difference between an 075 and an 076 so I expect they would work great together.

BB, That 076 is 111cc's right? I can see your interest in running two powerheads but I had a friend that showed up with two 090's on a 48" double ender. All he and his partner did was burn up rims and clutches on this Ash depot I have here. He gave up. I'm doing just fine with 101cc's and near done if I hadn't run out of gas! 20 mile round trip for fuel 30 for the good oil. The saw was thirsty but so was I. 6mile round trip for cold beverage. The saw lost out. Nice work man!

It is 111cc's But I have a chance to get a clean looking 075 and was wondering if they would run well together. I could just get it to run by its self on another mill.

I would have to say the extra twenty cc's was a big difference over the 066.

The saw was thirsty but so was I. 6mile round trip for cold beverage. The saw lost out. Nice work man!

I know what you mean. I actually left the house without any water and by 6:00pm I was pretty parched myself. I not gonna make that mistake again. I'm gonna pack the cooler. Thanks. Have you found any peanuts in that ash your milling?
picture.php

No peanuts to speak of but pounds of tiger stripe. You can see some of it in this shot. I need to fix the camera.
2055068750105432928S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
It is 111cc's But I have a chance to get a clean looking 075 and was wondering if they would run well together. I could just get it to run by its self on another mill.

I would have to say the extra twenty cc's was a big difference over the 066.

yeah BB - that 076 really ripped! That saw cut much faster than the 066. Seems like the single powerhead w/ single ended bar may be the way to go. It's less fuss (i would guess) and less fuel and more fresh air too! Ha :laugh:

Maybe try some of that .325 .063 22lpx for the narrower kerf? Drill out the sprocket on that old bar and just switch out the rim. The big loop might be too many bucks to try though? Is that old bar .063?

edit: oh wait there is no sprocket on that old bar! even better. oops.

Last edited:
Maybe try some of that .325 .063 22lpx for the narrower kerf? Drill out the sprocket on that old bar and just switch out the rim. The big loop might be too many bucks to try though? Is that old bar .063?

edit: oh wait there is no sprocket on that old bar! even better. oops.

I didn't know they made a .325 in .063. It would pull it but would it cut as fast as 3/8. I really thought my only problem yesterday was that bar is in need of replacement and my saws broke down, but the chain was cutting just fine.

It's less fuss (i would guess) and less fuel and more fresh air too! Ha :laugh:

I thought the 076 was a heck of a lot nicer to run then the 066. As soon as we switched over the fumes were twice as bad. I'd say hands down the 076 was the one I'd want to run for extended periods.

Thanks for the help yesterday.

I didn't know they made a .325 in .063. It would pull it but would it cut as fast as 3/8. I really thought my only problem yesterday was that bar is in need of replacement and my saws broke down, but the chain was cutting just fine.
Carlton makes a semi-chisel 0.063" x .325", though you'll have to do some looking to find it.

Aggiewoodbutcher posted a speed test showing 325 was 17% faster than 3/8, if I remember correctly.

Yeah - BB That chain was cutting totally fine! ;)

I just thought ya might get some more cutting speed from the narrower .325 .063 chain? It might not be worth it, though. the 3/8" chain was cutting totally fine. Id' be happy w/ that o76 set up!

I bet that 075 pulls good too! So long as it has the same torque? it probably does.

Carlton makes a semi-chisel 0.063" x .325", though you'll have to do some looking to find it.

Aggiewoodbutcher posted a speed test showing 325 was 17% faster than 3/8, if I remember correctly.

Nice. I might just add that to my list of chains to try. Thanks mtngun

Wow - 17% maybe worthwhile!

The chain is available at bailey's in semi or full chisel:

http://www.baileysonline.com/saw-chain-cross-reference-chart.asp

SawTroll says that the 20lp or really 22lpx in 0.63 is best because the width of the cutter is narrower than RSC.

Latest posts

Back